February 26, 1924

Powered by Ancestry AI This feature is powered by an AI language model using public information. Quality and accuracy may vary. The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Newspapers.com™ or Ancestry®.

News from February 26, 1924

News from February 26, 1924 (Times Union, via Newspapers.com™)

Fire Damages Roof as Winter Weather Hinders Firefighters

On February 26th, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Sammis was damaged when flames originated near the roof of an extension at the rear of their house. Mrs. Sammis was at home but did not notice the fire until Mrs. John F. Phillips, seeing the blaze from a nearby hill, alerted her. Edward J. Wild, the Fire Department Chief, observed the smoke and sent in an alarm.

The firemen encountered their first obstacle when they found the nearest fire hydrant frozen. Attempts to use it led to a break in the hose due to heavy air pressure. They then quickly connected another line to the next hydrant. While the house contained many valuable antiques, the first and second floors were cleared of these items without damage. However, items stored in the attic were unreachable and consumed by the fire.

The fire was ultimately confined to the roof of the house, where firefighting proved hazardous as water turned to ice upon contact. The efforts of the firemen, who were soaked and working in freezing conditions, prevented the fire from spreading further.

Learn more about February 26, 1924 through historical newspapers from our archives. Explore newspaper articles, headlines, images, and other primary sources below.


Source Articles and Clippings

"February 26, 1924," Newspapers.com Topics (https://www.newspapers.com/topics/century-ago-today/february-1924/february-26-1924/ : accessed April 21, 2024)
Topics A Century Ago Today, February 1924 , ,

The views and opinions expressed in these newspaper articles and clippings are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Newspapers.com or Ancestry.