Grant Wentz Murder Suicide 26 Nov 1939; Pg 1

ktrowley Member Photo

Clipped by ktrowley

Grant Wentz Murder Suicide 26 Nov 1939; Pg 1 - UNTTBD _ PKBJ98 TXLEQBAPB NBW8 SBRYICB of the...
UNTTBD _ PKBJ98 TXLEQBAPB NBW8 SBRYICB of the has but a submarine been disguised a reliable a was to the It U- the The on to loss the. include : expected in intervals Family of Five Meet Death In Murder, Suicide Family Which lift Prova in March Wiped Out in Slaying .Tragedy; Circumstances Indicate Deed Premeditated SALT LAKE CITY, Nov. 25 <U.R> — A Salt Lake City father gassed, strangled and shot his wife and three children this morning and then took his own life. The father, 31-year-old Grant Wentz, was found in the midst of a Macabre death scene—a .22 caliber rifle by his side, a bullet through his head, and his family dead in their beds. Sheriffs officers said the children had apparently been strangled by a clothes line, beaten with a hammer, and shot.. Officers, also found gas In the home turned on but unlit. Besides Wentz, the dead included his wife, Afton Wentz^ 27; his daughters, Dalene 7, Marie 6, and Earth 5. Former Orem Resident— Wentz was a son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Frank Wentz of Orem, and his wife was Afton Angus Wentz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Angus of 270 South Ninth West street, @Provo. They lived on the Went* . farm in Orem until last March, when they went to Salt Lake, where they operated a lunch stand "Inn-Stead," at 2827 South State street, between Murray and Salt Lake City. The murder and suicide was discovered discovered by Ming Toy Franche, 19, an employe in the lunchroom operated by Wentz, when she Two Families Plunged Into Deep Sorrow Two grief-stricken families Ur Provo and Orem mourned the untimely deaths of a son, a daughter and grandchildren, Saturday Saturday in the Salt Lake City five- death tragedy. came to work this morning. The story told by Miss Franche indicated indicated the slayings were premeditated, premeditated, police said. She said Wentz had told her to take the night off last night, ap- At the T. Frank Wentz home patently to allow him time to in Orem, the staggering news, almost impossible to beueve, found both Mr. and Mrs. Wentz already ill. Prostrated with grief they have been kept bedfast since the first word of the death of Grant, his wife and children, 'had reached the home. Mr. and Mrs. Angus and their children were stunned by the news that their daughter and husband and their three grandchildren grandchildren were dead. Mrs. Angus bore up braVery~ under the" shock, trying to minimize her own loss while her heart ached in grief for the family of her son-in-law. Grant Wentz, was born July 1, 1906, the son of T. Frank and Lydla Farley Wentz of Orem. He attended attended the Spencer grade school and later entered the Lincoln high school and Sharon stake seminary. He attended the Logan high school one year. At the age of 22 he entered the U. S. naval service, but was honorably honorably released two years later. Following his marriage to Afton Angus of Provo on March 16, 1932, he became associated with his father in the poultry and fruitgrowing: fruitgrowing: business on the Wentz farm, west of the Snow Station on the Orem line. Move to Salt Lake Last March the family moved to Salt Lake City where they had (Continued on Page Three) commit the murders. Wentz was believed to have gone completely berserk. A bloody hammer gave evidence of the bludgeoning before he garrotect them. Finally he shot them, and. then turned on the gas. Wentz's body was still warm when the coroner arrived. Miss Franche said she sensed something was wrong when she smelled gas as she entered th» the on on a couch and 1 Eight Calls Keep Firemen Busy Mrs. Wentz dead in her bedroom. She tan to a nearby gas station to call police: Sheriff's officers bad to turn off the gas from an outside outside valve before they could enter the apartment, above the lunchroom. lunchroom. There they found Wentz on the floor, and the other children in their twin beds. Except for the marks on the children, officers said that they found no evidence indicating that a struggle took place. Police were at a loss for a motive, motive, particularly since neighbors said everything was apparently going well with the family. They attempted to reconstruct the slaying from bits of evidence picked up at the death scene, and to find any employes or customers who had been in the lunchroom late last night. No inquest was deemed necessary necessary by the acting coroner Justice Justice of the Peace Arthur R Brtng;- hurst who gave the vardict as "quadruple murder, suicide." No possible motive for the crime (Continued on Page Three))

Clipped from
  1. The Sunday Herald,
  2. 26 Nov 1939, Sun,
  3. Page 1

ktrowley Member Photo
  • Grant Wentz Murder Suicide 26 Nov 1939; Pg 1

    ktrowley – 07 Apr 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in