Civil War Monument Dedication

kels3884 Member Photo

Clipped by kels3884

Civil War Monument Dedication - factory the on of it, most giro Peculiar...
factory the on of it, most giro Peculiar Historical Address Delivered at tlie Dedication of the Soldier's Monument by Hon. Geo. G. Waslibum. SOLDIERS AND CIIIZEXS: -- Nations, like individuals, liave their periods ol prosperity aud adversity. In the career of both there are times AY heii the results of combined circumstances are of such far reaching importance as to make them memorable above a.11 others, in tLe history of passing events. Two such epochs have occurred in the history of our nation e "mce European civilization \vas first planted on the American continent. The first more than a century ago, when the infdut colonies, goaded to heroic efforts, successfully resisted the oppression nought to be fastened upon them by the mother country, and established an iucle- peudert republic. The second, eighty- tive years later, ·uheti the ~nost gigantic lebellion ever witnessed by civilized nation? was crushed by the valor of our patriotic citizens. It will be sufficient to say that this rebellion \k as caused by a conflict that arose between two distinct types of civilization inherited from our ancestors, so antagonistic in character as to lender "he pei petuity ot" bothiuipossible in the itpublic. One \\as ba»ed 011 the innate kne of freedom that piomptcd brave men to flee fiom oppression to the inhospitable shoies of Xew England, and the other ou aristocracy aud avaiice,--the paients of oppression in all ages of the world. This sought for its field of laboi and conquest the'more in\itiug climate of the southern coast, where it planted the seeds of human slavery, and foi eighty-five yeai?, dominated, with almost supierne control, the policy of the sjo\ eminent. At la-t, when overpou eied iu a lawful political contest, it raised the -tauclard of rebellion, and Bought to destroy the nation. After four years of sanguinary warfare, in which kindred blood stained the, soil 011 a hundred battlefields, the heresy of human slavey was overthrown, root and branch, neveV again to find an, advocate in this f lee and united nation. To commemorate the events of this important epoch, and testify to future generations the grateful homage we pay co those who thus made this nation free by such heroic sacrifice, imperishable monuments are being erected by patriotic citizens in nearly every hamlet which contributed to this glorious result. "We have assembled to-day to dedicate such a memorial to the valor of the citizen soldiers of Elyria in that memorable eon- fli«b. ~-Onl£ji_ brief reminiscence of the more iinrJbrtant "events in "Elyria^cbn* hected with that exciting period, can be given in the time allotted me. On Friday, April 12th, 1861, the citizens of Elyria were startled by the report that civil war had been inaugurated by*the bombardment of Fort Sumter, in Charleston harbor. A night of deep anxiety followed, and the next morning the mews was confirmed, with all its terrible details. All business was suspended, and prompted by one patriotic impulse, our citizens rushed into the streets to ;ake counsel how- best they could meet he ordeal forced upon them. Two tall wles had been erected near this spot by ;he partisans in the previous campaign, audit was determined at once that the flag of our once united nation should be mfurled from the top of the tallest pole. That w as a stately hickory, erected by ;he democrats; and within thirty ninutes a thousand men, excited to the highest pitch of enthusiasm, were present, each eager to bear a hand in the patriotic work. It was the most supreme moment in the history of the war. All party feelings wei e merged in the single desire to sustain the honor and glory of our common country. As the folds of that starry banner gracefully opened to the bieeze on that memorable morning, a thousand voices united in prolonged huzzas; and from that moment the loyalty of .the citizens of Elyria was assured. On Monday, April loth, President Lincoln issued his first proclamation, de- laring the country in a state of civil war, and calling for seventy-five thou?.and volunteers to crush the rebellion. On Tuesday posters were sent over the county calling the patriotic citizens to arms, and requesting them to meet in mass convention in this city on Saturday. The Adjutant General of Ohio addressed a telegram to General L. A. Sheldon, then the ranking military officer in this county, asking how many companies of seventy-five men each co aid be recruited in Lorain county within one week. Public meetings were held daily, and enlistment rolls were prepared upon which our patriotic young men inscribed their names. The mass meeting on Saturday was such an overwhelming demonstration as to strike terror to the few who covertly sympathized with tLe rebels, and greatly to cheer the hearts of those who loved the old flag. On Monday, six days after enlistments began, one full company of 100 menr was enrolled and organized as Company A, electing H. F. Willson Captain, E. G. Johnson First Lieutenant, and Lewis Breckenridge Second Lieutenant. The next day Company B was organized with a like number of men, electing Win. W. Starr Captain, Charles A. Park First Lieutenant, and Harry C. Laundon Second Lieutenant. An elegant sword was presented to each company commander, and twelve thousand dollars were pledged in a few hours as a fund for the relief of the soldiers' families who were in need of aid. They went into camp, and commenced their first practice in the manual of arais with wooden guns, and with inexperienced instructors began to perfect themselves in military drill. On Wednesday, April 24th, both companies were mustered in front of the Beebe House, where they were presented with a beautiful silk flag, deftly wrought by the hands of the ladies. Each company was also presented with a purse containing what was then considered the munificent sum of one hundred gold dollars, to be used iu case of need. Then came the first tearful parting of the war, -- a scene still fresh in the memory of those who wituessed it. -- and which became so sadly familiar as the months and years rolled by. The last farewells were spoken, the last exhortation to be true to the flag and their country, and they departed for camp hi Cleveland, where they remained until May 2nd, when thej r were ordered to Camp Dennison in Columbus, and w ere assigned to the 8th Ohio Regiment. The rext company organized in Elvria was for the 23rd Regiment, commanded by Capt. D. C. Howard, numbering ninety men, which left Elyria June 10th. In January, 1862, Capt. Thomas H. Linnell enlisted a company of 54 men for Hoftman's Battallion, the larger portion of whom were from Elyria. Captain Brady's company for the 42d Ohio was organized in August, 1862, and bore upon its rolls the names of thirty men from Elyria. During that month an enrollment of citizens liable to military duty showed the total to be 651. The number who were mustered into the service at that date was 201. The first draft to fill the ranks of the army, was made on Wednesday^ October 1st, 1862, and called for eleven men. From that date Elyria filled her quota under every call, until May 18th, 1864, when the second draft was made for 44 men. So many of those who were able- bodied had entered the service, that of ;he44 men drafted, 34 ueie rejected by the surgeons 01 were alieady enlisted. and on the 9th of June the" deficiency w as made good by another turn of the wheel. Under the call for \oliinteers for one hundred days, Cupt. Geo. D. Williams' company of seventy-three men was organized" in May, 1S64, and assigned to the 135th leerimenr-- all from Elyria. Time will not permit a detailed account of ihe intervening and subsequent enlistments. Five lull companies w ere organized in Elyr'u during the w ar, ;he men being mostly residents here, :\vo of which w ere assigned to the 8th Ohio regiment, one to the 23rd, one to the 103rd, and one to the 133th. Besides these, numsious squads were enlisted and assigned to other regiments, among which were vhe 7th, 41st. 42d, 84th, 85th, 107th, 124th, 128th, 150th, and 186th. Elyria was also creditably represented n Captain Edgerton's, Co. E, 1st Ohio Artillery, Burdick's loth Independent Battery, Shield's 19th Independent Bat- *ry, and the 2d and 10th Ohio Cavalry. Four of our citizens also served in the navy. During the war President Lincoln issued eight calls for troops; aggregating 1,717,000 men. These orders bore date as follows : April 15th, 1861, for 75,000 May 3rd, " " 42,000 Aug. 4th, 1862, " 300,000 June 15th. 1863, " 100,000 Oct. 16th, " " 300,000 Mar. 14th, 1864, " 200,000 July 18th, " " 500,000 Dec. 19th, " " 200,000 It will be impossible to ascertain the exact number of men who went forth to battle from Elyria under these various calls. After the first year, and especially during the last two years of the war, the nlistments were chiefly to fill the deci-l mated ranks in the various legiments, in small squads, and often singly, and many of these, enticed by the offer of large bounties, went into other counties and even to other states to enlist. So it will be equally as difficult to learn the number who fell in battle, died in camp or hospital, or fell victims to barbarous treatment' in rebel prison pens. It w ill be sufficient to say that while every hamlet in the Xorth, with rare exceptions, nobly responded to their eountrv-'s call, Ehria was second to none in eveiy patriotic effort to crush the rebellion. Of those who thus faced death in many forms during those four long years, fully her shaieof brave men ne\er returned to receive the grateful plaudits of the nation they had saved. Thefiist battle in which the Elyria soldiers participated was at Komney, Virginia, Sept- 26th, 1861, in which the gallant 8th Ohio led the charge which drove the rebels from the town. The first Elyiia soldier who fell in battle, and the first in the 8th regiment, was Wm. Bartlett, who was killed September 24th, 1S61, in a skirmish as the regiment was approaching Romney. His body lies buried near the spot where he fell. Only thirty-one of the dead rest in yonder cemetery, and the precious dust of the others mingles with the blood-stained soil of the Sunny South where they fought and fell, both in battle and by disease. Two auxiliaries may be properly mentioned, which were organized to aid the Government, and minister to the wants of the soldiers. I refer to the Military Committee and the Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society. On the 27th of September, 1861, an order was issued by the Adjutant General, under which a military committee was appointed in each county in the State, to have general charge of military affairs. The committee in this county consisted of W. VV. Boynton, Henry E. Mussey, L. D. Griswold, J. H. Dickson, R. A. Horr, Conrad Reid and Geo. G. Washburn. This committee organized by electing W. W. Boynton, Chairman, Geo. G. Washburn, Secretary, and H. E. Mussey, Treasurer. It was charged with the duty of promoting enlistments, providing for the comfort of soldiers when in the home camp, recommending the persons to be commissioned as officers, furnishing transportation to the front, and in general to aid the government in any liae of duty when callec upon. But one change occurred in the personel of the committee, by the enlistment of Dr. Griswold, and all its members are now living except Conrad Reid. who died March 24, 1883. Its duties were laborious and were faithfully performed during the entire period of the war. The other auxiliary, to which the soldiers were indebted for many a personal comfort, and to which the nation owes a lasting debt of gratitude, was known as the Ladies' Aid Society. This was organized in Elyria, May 31st, 1861, with Mrs. C. H. Doolittle. as Mrs. T. W. Laundon, Secretary, 'and Mr?. Geo. G. Washburn, Treasurer; with a few changes in its officers, rendered faithful service to the soldiers, both iu field aud hospital, during war. One by one have those patriotic ladies been called to rest in that from which there will be no *v,-2kzng. Only forty-one now survive. These Mrs. A. A. Bliss, Mrs. Hemau Ely. Mrs. W. F. Wooster, Mrs. C. H. Doolittle, Miss M. E. Manter, Miss L. Woodbury, Mrs. Sarah Wood, M«. A. Sheldon, Mrs. H. B. West, Miss M. Crandall, Miss C. M. Crandall, Elizabeth Sanforcl, Mrs. T. L. Nelson, Mrs. F. H. Dibble, Mrs. H. E. Mrs. C. M. Horr, Mrs. S. W. Mrs. L. M. Olmstead, Mrs. Edwin Mrs. Wm. Phelps, Mrs. S. E. Redfield, Mrs. Geo. G. Wushburn, 'Mrs. W. Boynton, Miss H. H. Greene, Miss ~ahoon, Miss Xaney Briggs, Mrs. Kellogg, Mrs. D. A. Grosvenor, Mrs. L. Cole, Mrs. A. Beebe, Jr., Mrs. Hulbert, Mrs. Jamin Strong, Mrs. Shepard, Mrs. A. Snow. Mrs. Wm.. Doolittle, Mrs. F. H. Wilbur. Mrs. J. Hale, Mrs. A. E. DeWitt, Mrs. Upton, Mrs. L. H. Nettleton, and James Reei e. A goodly portion of are A\ 5th us to-day. Veteran Soldiers: we welcome yc this occasion, after the lapse of a of .i centuiy since your toilsome se mded. You are the worthy repres ives of that Grand Army o"f,the Se :ic which purchased with "their J f blood the priceless hetitage we.enjby today. Many of you \\ ill bear ,to jiavesthe painful evidence of thatnter- rible strife, and all well cleerve die in? gratitude of the American, Th'is giatefnl homages ill not be~rath- leld %\ hile those Ih e who wittressecl heroic saciiflce; and this beautiful monument is erected as a testimony,to generations yet to come, that ^\hile" you voui services \\ere justly appreciated. As the monuments at Bunker Hill, mouth and Yorktown, will forever the valiant deeds of those Avho ga^e nation in '76, so -\uil this enduring perpetuate the memory of those preserved it in the days "of '61. It was designed by Joseph Cara- aelli, and executed by Carabelli and Broggini, in Cleveland. It is ntirely of granite from the celebrated quarries in Westerly, Rhode Island. foundation is laid deep beyond the of any disturbing element. Its base 15 feet 8 inches long and 13 feet wide. On this stands two minor a plinth, die, and cap, which is surmounted by an artistic column 16 and'6-incbesrhiglrr-On the band urmounts the upper cap stands^a 9 feet and 7 inches high, representing a color bearer,'firmly grasping the of the flag which is gracefully furled thereon. The heighth of the entire monument is 41 feet and 8 inches, all its parts are richly carved, and ornamented with national emblems. Standing on the upper base are two life statues representing an infantry and avalry soldier at parade rest. The of the die bears this inscription: "ELYRIA TO HER HEROES WHO FOUGHT AND HER MARTYRS WHO FELL THAT THE REPUBLIC MIGHT LIVE." On the base of the cap are inscribed names of three of the chief battles in our soldiers participated--Fredericksburg, Vicksburg and Gettysburg, with the 1861-1865. Its entire weight is 76 tons, [ts total cost was $8,500. It was erected y the citizens of Elyria, under the direction of the trustees, who secured the passage of an act authorizing the levy of tor that purpose, which was ratified by voters at the election in 1885, only 30 iots being cast against it. Citizens, I need not remind you that the dedication of this imperishable rial, our duty has not been dischar These veteran soldiers will continue to. it our warmest gratitude while theyl They went forth to battle flashed vigor of youth, or strong in the muscle mind of middle life. Many of them in the midst of the conflict, never return to the endearments of the home Loved. Many bear wounds of permanent disability, and are aided by a generous Government in keeping the wolf from door. Others more fortunate on the will suffer while they live the effects disease contracted by exposure during campaigns, and few there are who truthfully say they suffered no detriment during the war. Age is fast encroaching upon their physical energies, and the is approaching when the wants of will appeal with still greater ferce to generosity of a grateful people. While health and strength are given them will scorn to ask our charity, for they proudly stand before us to-day as independent American citizens; aaking not our charity for their needy comrades, bat that recognized justice that will not them,to want for life.'* common'.comfdrta. They are oar neighbor*. We-know- faults and their many virtues. We their best opportunities were sacrificed our common good, and we will never them hunger and not furnish them We will never see them naked and furnish them clothing. We will inspire patriotic sentiments of all the living planting the loveliest 'flowers of spring upon the graves of the dead, on each recurring year. "There let them rest: And summer's heat and winter's cold Shall glow and freeze above tfreir menld -A thousand years shall pass away -A nation still shall mourn their clay. Which now is blest." In discharging our duty to the poor among the veterans, we will remember with many their poverty ww self-imposed, that the nation might be blemed with plenty; and as long as that silent sentinel yonder shaft shall guard with ceasele** vigil the glorious banner Of our united so long will we-nol forget that these veteran soldiers have paid, thrice told,£ the comforts a generous ptoplvcaaHi

Clipped from
  1. The Elyria Democrat,
  2. 28 Jun 1888, Thu,
  3. Page 1

kels3884 Member Photo
  • Civil War Monument Dedication

    kels3884 – 25 Oct 2014

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in