Clipped From Amarillo Daily News

lmclain01 Member Photo

Clipped by lmclain01

 - and company Irani History FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH...
and company Irani History FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH Four high points mark the history of the First Baptist church ol Amarillo, which dates back to the birthyear of the town -- 1889. These high points are the original organization and the construction of three subsequent church homes, including the. present edifice. Driving from his farm near Washburn to preach in Parker's Chapel, the union church in Amarillo, Rev. Thomas Storts was the first Baptist minister to hold services in Amarillo. and in September of that year --1889--the First . Baptist Church was organized. Following Rev. Storts in the pastorate was Rev. G. W. Capps, who drove 40 miles from his homestead to Amarillo once a month to preach. Among early workers in the church were Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Smith, Frank J. Trigg and family. O. M. Eakle and family, the Cornelius family, Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Stratten. the Britain family. George W. DeBardeleben, and Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Fuqua. Rev. Bennett Hatcher, coming here from Vernon, .was the third -.pastor, serving the congregation --seven years. The first home of the Baptists in Amarillo -was built on the lots now occupied by the Ross Hotel at Fifth Avenue and Pierce Street, and a parsonage was built at 706 Lincoln Street. Rev. W. A. Mason came from the Moody Bible Institute to succeec Rev. Hatcher, but soon returned to his work in the institute. When Rev. James Robinett came following Dr. Mason, the Sunday school boasted an enrollment of 75 and the regular church attendance was about 250. At Rev. Robinett's death, Rev. Mason was recalled, and Rev. A. E. Baten followed Rev Mason as pastor, serving two years Rev. E. P. Aldredge, the next minister, fostered a movement for a Saptist encampment at Cliffside, n which Dr. B. H. Carroll, Dr. J. B. Gambrell and Dr. George W. Truett were the organizers and speakers. -, . As the congregation continued to grow and the residential section ·shifted to the south and west, lots were purchased at Ninth. Avenue and Polk Street, the present site of the Paramount Theater. That was in October, 1905. Although Rev. Aldredge launched the movement for a new church home, it was not constructed until Rev. R. F. Jenkins became pastor in 1007. The new home which cost $40,357, was completed in August, 1908, and through the years several additions and annexes were constructed. Rev. Wallace Bassett, now pastor of Cliff Temple in Dallas succeeded Rev. Jenkins, and other ministers following in order were Dr. I. E Qates Dr. Herbert Whiting · Virgin raw pastor of the North shore Bap- ist Church in Chicago; 'Dr. 'O.' L: Yatcs, who served until his death March 8. 1936. and Dr. J. Howard Williams, the present pastor. . During Dr. Yates' pastorate, the congregation increased, until. It. was found necessary to erect a new edifice. Adjoining property could not 3e purchased, so, in 1926, the lots at Thirteenth Avenue' and ' Tyler Street were bought and contract for a new $500,000 building was let early in 1929. This church was formally opened on Sunday, August 3 1930, with Dr. Yatcs preaching the dedication sermon . . . The pine organ was prcsentrd by Mr. and Mrs W. T. Coble »s a memorial to their son, William Thomas Coble Mrs. Marie Bynum Smith presented the church with the Mcneely chimes In memory of her husband James Lowry Smith. Mural paintings and decorations were the gift of Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Masterson, Jr. 13 a memorial · to Mrs. Mastorson'n alher, Rev. G. S. Tumlln, p. p. wilb served many years in the ministry In Georgia-irml Texan.' · · Di, Williams now has just started his fifth year as pastor. The church j which on the first dny of- this- month had a membership of 3.356. has had 490 additions in the tastr .12 months, 189 by baptism. The Sunday school has on enrollment 'of 2."87tf, with an average attendance of 1,748, and the Baptist Training Union has D42 members. During the last 12 months the members contributed J16.627.14 to church support, and $19.569.74 was used for benevolences of various kinds. There are 1,454 tithers in the church. The church has physical properties TOlued at $628,000, Including the pastors' home at 2010 Polk Street, and property used for- a mission In the Spanish-American section of the city. of You

Clipped from
  1. Amarillo Daily News,
  2. 14 Sep 1940, Sat,
  3. Page 3

lmclain01 Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in