Skip to main content

Amarillo Daily News Archive

  • Amarillo, Texas
  • 19111974

About

In 1909, prohibitionists William A. Askew, Robert E. Underwood, and Jonathan W. Crudgington purchased the Amarillo Evening American. Renamed the Amarillo Daily News, the newspaper lobbied against the "licensed saloon and its attendant evils" exemplified by Amarillo's notorious Bowery District, which was filled with bars, brothels, and violent crime. Baptist deacon Dr. Joseph E. Nunn joined the News soon after its establishment. The paper was sold twice at a sheriff's sale, the second time in 1916, when Nunn became sole owner. Nunn began issuing the News as a general morning paper covering events in Potter County. By 1918, the paper’s subscriber base doubled to 4,800. The eight-page News cost six dollars per annum and measured 15½ x 20¾ inches.

Archive Info

  • 65,711
  • Amarillo, Texas
  • 19111974
0

Source Information

Amarillo Daily News, 1911–1974 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2024. Last updated: May 7, 2016

Recent Article Clippings

See All
XIT Rangers Top Sunray in Nine-Team NPAA Amateur Baseball
Clipped 
Conrad C. Weis Dies at Friona

Conrad C. Weis Dies at Friona

Amarillo Daily News
Amarillo, Texas
 • Page 12
Clipped 
Conrad C. Weis Dies at Friona

Conrad C. Weis Dies at Friona

Amarillo Daily News
Amarillo, Texas
 • Page 12
Clipped 
XIT Rangers Will Play Exhibition Game Against Boise City
Clipped 

Archive Info

  • 65,711
  • Amarillo, Texas
  • 19111974

Source Information

Amarillo Daily News, 1911–1974 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2024. Last updated: May 7, 2016