Stevenson's 42nd Reunion, 25 Aug 1920

ecaposell Member Photo

Clipped by ecaposell

Stevenson's 42nd Reunion, 25 Aug 1920 - Stevenson's Forty-Second Reunion. The...
Stevenson's Forty-Second Reunion. The forty-second annual reunion of the Stevenson family was held among tho Stevenson pines near Kennard on Saturday, Aug-. 14. One hundred and fifty-two relatives and friends partook of tho bountiful dinner whiili was en- Joyed by lal. After dinner a business meeting was held. The afternoon was spent in visiting and a baseball game between the married and single men was won by the single men. The history of the Stevenson family of this locality can be traced back as far as 1750 or 1755, when William Stevenson Stevenson and his wife, Agnes, moved from Scotland to Ireland. They had several children of whom one was James, the great-grandfather of the present generation generation of that name in this vicinity James was born in 17GO in Ireland; lie grew up and married in that country. His wife's nam» was Jane Caughey; she was a member of a titled family and nor father was class teacher under John Wesley. James Stevenson moved to America in 1790 nnd settled in Chester county, Pa., shortly afterwards moving to Westmoreland county. In 1797 James and his son came to Mercer county with other homeseekers. They had to Buy Groceries of goods just arrived including famous coffee. We can samples in the space of well equipped Economy of grocery distribution to a great many people. 40c, 45c OR. D. S. ASHCOM SELECTED STATE PRESIDENT BY ELKS Allentown, Aug. 25—Delegates to the tnte convention of the Benevolent and' protective Order of Elks elected offlc-, rs and selected next year's convention ity yesterday. Only one contest dt>- eloped. That came in the choice for trusteeship of John C. Hart, Jr., New Castle, over Fred Taylor of Sharon. ' The new officers are: President, Dr. 1-1- S. Ashcom, Allegheny Lodge. No 333; vice president, Charles Grakelow Philadelphia Lodge No. 2; secretary TV. S. «ould. Scranton Lodge. No 123- treasurer, Henry W. Gough, Harris' burg Lodge No. 12. Johnstown was selected as the 1!)21 convention city. leading their horses loaded with provisions, provisions, in 179S they, with several others, moved to this place. James Stevenson's family at that time consisted consisted of two sons and two daughters, and two other son?, John and Findley were born afterwards. ' i James was the first blacksmith in the neighborhood and made the first grist mill. He died in 1817. The two boys married sisters, Elizabeth and Nellie- McGranahan, and although they lived in different houses, they had everything in common. John looked after the blacksmith shop and Findley cared for the farm. They built several saw mills and lived as one family until the two families were almost grown up. The mother died in 3S57 and Findley 1S86. Each of the brothers reared large families. ( In all tho history of the Stevenson family we find no crime or lasting disgrace, disgrace, but instead find it very closely connected with the church history o"f the neighborhood. Most all the members members of the family are active members of the church. The family are generally generally farmers and mechanics with here and there a preacher, doctor and professor. professor. • • *

Clipped from The Record-Argus25 Aug 1920, WedPage 5

The Record-Argus (Greenville, Pennsylvania)25 Aug 1920, WedPage 5
ecaposell Member Photo
  • Stevenson's 42nd Reunion, 25 Aug 1920

    ecaposell – 09 Sep 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in