Mar 03 1977 John David Bates

misbarb55 Member Photo

Clipped by misbarb55

Mar 03 1977 John David Bates - State escapee kills himself after Missouri...
State escapee kills himself after Missouri siege has KENNETT, Mo. - An escaped convict, his room surrounded by police, released his wife and a hostage bpfore shooting himself to death Wednesday, police said. "I held on to my rosary the whole time,' said Patricia Cady. 32, who was taken hostage last Friday in Tucson. John David Bates, 23, of Phoenix, was found dead in the motel, 45 minutes after he released Mrs. Cady, police said. Bates shot himself in the head with a .38 pistol, they said. Bates was serving six years to life for assault with a deadly weapon in Arizona. He faked a back injury and was taken to a Phoenix hospital last Thursday. As Bates was leaving the hospital, his wife, Charlotte Bates, approached the two men guarding Bates, police said. Bates took the guards' weapons and the couple fled. The couple traveled to Tucson, where they abducted Mrs. Cady on Friday in the parking lot of Pima County Hospital. She worked there as a practical nurse. Mrs. Cady said the three then drove to Las Cruces, N.M., where Bates obtained different license plates for Mrs. Cady's car. They continued to St. Louis where Bates got $66 from a relative. When they reached Kennett Monday, Mrs. Cady said, Bates went to another relative and asked for money. The relative refused and called police. Bates, his wife and Mrs. Cady checked into Price's Motel about 1 a.m. Tuesday. Police located Bates about 5 p.m. Tuesday through a description of Mrs. Cady's car. About 30 policemen surrounded Bates' cottage and urged him to come out. Bates refused. During the confrontation, Mrs. Cady said. Bates tried to talk his wife into committing suicide with him and called for enough heroin to overdose. Authorities refused to send in heroin, but did provide two vials of morphine — not enough to kill the couple. Mrs. Cady said she talked Bates into letting his wife go and about 1 a.m. Charlotte Bates walked out of the motel. Mrs. Bates was placed in the Dunklin County jail. A deputy said she would be held pending application for a warrant charging her with kidnaping. At 1:45 a.m. Wednesday police ordered Bates to release Mrs. Cady by 2 a.m. He asked for one more hour and just before 3 a.m. Mrs. Cady walked out Police then began firing tear gas. About 3:40 a.m. they heard a "pop." Officers rushed the cottage and found Bates dead. Mrs. Cady told police she was tied nude in a shower stall until released by Bates. "He just said he wasn't going back to prison and refused to give himself up," according to J.T. Terry, Dunklin County chief sheriff's deputy. * CITY ;,. \ O The Arizona Republic Thar., Mar. 3, '77 C-7 SEUY $CQ88 X-FIRM * fcw - $00*8 .-, 't . it. 1 ttma* WIRttMtC Tl TH NNQES! 1ST tlllltT MtfUMKMCS. too* r|i>(|^ tin s,, nili j"tl) St 1 lll <>ni- 1,1,,, k li-l'^ I wuuiioisi;

Clipped from
  1. Arizona Republic,
  2. 03 Mar 1977, Thu,
  3. Page 46

misbarb55 Member Photo
  • Mar 03 1977 John David Bates

    misbarb55 – 24 Aug 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in