RAVENNA ARSENAL ARTICLE FROM 13 JULY 1954 SANDUSKY OHIO REGISTER
Sub-Installation Designation For Ordnance Works Plum Brook Plant Here Now Under .lurisdiction of Ravenna AT* senal; Plan No Changes. Designation of Plum Brook ordnance works as a sub-installation of Ravenna Arsenal has been announced by Lt. Colonel Thomas II. Bradley, commanding officer of the arsenal. Ravenna Arsenal, Inc., a subsidiary ol the Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. and present operating contractor at Ravenna arsenal will be responsible for maintaining Plum Brook in its present caretaker status. Existing contract has been supplemented to provide for these,, activities. Following World War II, the installation was partially dismantled with explosive making equipment being processed for preservation. Much of the equipment has been retained in storage by the General Services Administration which has operated the works since 1949. Principal reason for transferrin responsibility for maintenance is to have control and supervision of all active and inactive ammunition plants and works centralized in one agency. The Ordnance Ammunition Command located at Joliet, III., is the central headquarters for operations of this type and will supervise the additional activities for which Ravenna arsenal is now responsible. It is not expected that transfer of Plum Brook from General Services Administration to Army Ordnance will affect employment of personnel at the installation. Present plans call for the transfer of the persons employed to contractor rolls. Observation balloons were used by the Army as far back as 1862.