Philip Mornignstar school house
A LAXD3IARK (JOKE. the Tbe Oldest School House in County and Its Record. The old school house at Utica this county, was t- rn down last and the lumber sold on Saturday. Â·was one of the oldest school buildings the country, the log part of it been built in 1769, and was first a church and school house. The for this building was all given by farmers of the neighborhood free of charge. The legs were hauled from farm now owned by Mr. Michael Wachter by Philip Momingstar, father of Henry Momingstar, who died a few years ago, and grandfather of Philip Momingstar, residing -near Utica, a young man nineteen years of age. Morningstar died In 1S34, aged eighty- four years, so that, according to these dates, the log part of the school house was built about 123 years ago. Preaching services services were held in this log building the Lutherans, Reformers, Methodist and Dunkards. Previous to the building building of this house, people of that went to Apple's Church beyond Graceham, there being no other place of worship nearer. The country at that Â·was infested with wild animals and Indians and worshippers usually took Â·rearms with them. The log building being: too small, about the year stone structure was added to it preaching of Rev. Nicholas Snethen, noted- circuit rider of those days. trustees were Jacob Cramer, Jacob Cronlsc and Jacob Gesey. Each denomination had the privilege to use the school house every fourth Sunday no minister was allowed to "speak- disrespectfully, so as to provoke any the Â·worshipping denominations as regards regards disputed doctrinal points," and order to avoid any misunderstanding agreement was prepared and signed the tnhiig ers and trustees. Preaching services were held in this house spring of 1840, when the church was dedicated. The stone part of the school house was sold to the county for which was used toward the building the church. The present trustees of Utica church have purchased the building building and land and as already stated torn down the building and some land will be enclosed in the cemetery connected with the church.