May 25 1976

GSLsailor Member Photo

Clipped by GSLsailor

May 25 1976 - By Paul Roily Tribune Staff Writer Two men...
By Paul Roily Tribune Staff Writer Two men spent nearly three hours in choppy waters on Great Salt Lake after their : 19-foot boat capsized Monday •during a .storm. They were rescued through, a joint effort of Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office, Sailor's World, Inc., marina and Hosking Helicopters, Inc., Bountiful. Laird Gogins, 52,684 E. Capitol Blvd., and William Hansen, 28,1235 Emerson Ave., were, in good condition at Holy Cross Hospital alter their ordeal. They later were released. , .:•_•.•.. Their "Flying Dutchman" .racing boat with no cab capsized about 5:50 p.m. about a mile out.frprh Great Salt Lake State Park South Shore District. Bob Silver, operator of the marina there, said one of his employes, Ron Rowley, saw the boat tip over. Mr. Silver notified the sheriff's office and sent a power boat piloted by Doug Stauffer, another employe, to rescue the two boaters, who had nothing to protect them from the rocky waves but life jackets. When the rescue boat encountered 8-foot waves and winds up to 70 knots, it was forced to turn back, Mr. Silver said. Hosking Helicopters, Inc., was then summoned and a helicopter arrived about 7:30. The pilot v Bob Hosking, and Sheriff's Deputy Pete Nicksick located the two men who had floated about another mile from the beach and guided the rescue boat to their location. . • The The men were rescued shortly after 8 p.m. According to Bob Mucci, who went on the rescue mission, the two men were in good shape other than being "a little waterlogged" and cold. After being united with their wives aboard the rescue boat, the victims were helped into a Salt Lake County Fire Dept. ambulance and taken to the hospital. •

Clipped from The Salt Lake Tribune25 May 1976, TuePage 35

The Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, Utah)25 May 1976, TuePage 35
GSLsailor Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in