article 22

chicgirl92 Member Photo

Clipped by chicgirl92

article 22 - Sundty, Jtnuiry 31, 1960 - Sin Antonio...
Sundty, Jtnuiry 31, 1960 - Sin Antonio Battle.of Flowers T)en' Makes Way for Progress The Battle of Flowers Association "den," birthplace of floats of spectacular beauty which have appeared in parades spanning half a century, will soon make way for progress. The frugal ladies of the 70-year- old association, however, have well PLAN MOVE--Mrs. B. B. McGimsey (left) ond Mrs. George Houston, former presidents of the Battle of Flowers Assn., check the inventory at the historic float-building "den" as the organization launches plans for construction of a nesv building. Jajcees To Present Skit At Dental Auxiliary Meet "I'oindcxlcr Visits the Dentist," a factual comedy skit, will be presented by members of the Junior Chamber of Commerce at the Woman's Auxiliary to the San Antonio District Dental Society luncheon meeting beginning at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday in Walnut Room, Mrs. Ned Snyder, cliairman of Dental Health, will introduce members ot the cast. Guest speaker will be Dr. James E. Ba,tierle, president of the San Antonio District Dental Society. Hostesses for the meeting are Mrs. J. J. Cegelski and Mrs. A. K. prepared to meet the "eviction." Each year for 40 years a of the annual dues paid by members of the Battle of Flowers Association to help meet the parade expenses has been set aside in a building fund to cope with such emergencies. The fund was established with gifts from association members. Mrs. William H. Spice Jr., Battle of Flowers president, announced that the association has purchased a tract of land owned by the San Antonio Independent School District, at 1307 Van Ness, for construction of a new, modern float building and decorating structure. The tract is the former site of the John J. Pershing School. A new Pershing school was built because a major part of the land in the right-of-way of the eastbound expressway. The north half of the present "den" at 420 Oak St. was rented by the ladies of the Battle of Flowers Association back in 1911, when the building had outgrown its usefulness as a cotton gin. The original deed describes the site as lot "running back to the middle of Old Madre Ditch, 130 feet more or less." At one time the site was cemetery. In 1913 a committee from the Battle of Flowers Association, working with Atlee B. Ayres, who was at that time president of the Fiesta San Jacinlo Association, the late Franz Groos, secured a loan to purchase part o! the property. Later, in 1920, a committee that included Mrs. George Houston, the late Mrs. Walter Nolle and the late Mrs. Harry Landa secured the south half ot the property. Purchase of Ihe new "den" site was negotiated by a committee consisting of Mrs. H. J. Von Rosenberg, Mrs. B. B. McGimsey and Mrs. Spice. The new Battle of Flowers work shop will be the most modern, ol its kind in the southwest and will be unique in San Antonio, the Battle of Flowers Association believes. When completed, part of the structure will be used by Emil Robin, who has been designing and building floats for the Battle of

Clipped from
  1. Express and News,
  2. 31 Jan 1960, Sun,
  3. Page 50

chicgirl92 Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in