janicew Member Photo

Clipped by janicew

Hank - Continued from Page 1 marking pens and...
Continued from Page 1 marking pens and presented Nicholas with a quilt they helped make for him during his absence. The children also broke out in a chorus of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow," just before Nicholas' parents took him home after a 40-minute visit. "I've been in this (the hospital) room for five weeks. It's good to be out. It's like being let out of a cage," remarked Nicholas' mother, Kristen Scaturro. Kristen spent much of the time at Nicholas' bedside at the Ralph K. Davies Medical Center in San Francisco where doctors successfully repaired his partially severed foot. Nicholas, holding a toy rifle he had brought to school for the school's Western Days celebration, spoke very little and appeared to be overwhelmed by all the attention. "Normally, he's not this quicl," said his father, Mario Scaturro. Meanwhile, the man accused of causing Nicholas' accident, 67-year-old Henry Plymire of Willits, made a brief court appearance Thursday morning for formal arraignment. Known for peppering local newspapers with his letters to the editor, Plymire has been charged with four felony counts including drunken driving, hit-and-run, having a blood-alcohol level higher than .08 and making terrorist threats. He is also charged with one misdemeanor count of hit-and-run. According to District Attorney Susan Massini, the terrorist threat charge stems from when Plymire allegedly threatened a man just minutes after the Scaturro accident. Plymire allegedly rammed his Cadillac Coup de Ville into the man's vehicle soon after allegedly leaving the scene of the Scaturro accident. According to Massini, the man apparently jumped out of his car and asked Plymire what he was doing when Plymire told the man he would shoot him. Mt. Sanhedrin Municipal Court Judge Kirk Gustafson continued the hearing until June 18 after Plymire told the judge he had not yet retained his attorney, Duncan James. Plymire is scheduled to enter a plea June 18. He remains free after posting $15,000 bail soon after his May 3 arrest. Nicky was injured when he was getting out of his parents' van parked in the Wells Fargo parking lot, 717 S. State St., when a Cadillac Coupe dc Ville, allegedly driven by Plymire, backed into the van. Police said the force of the collision shoved the van sideways, pinning Nicky underneath the wheel of the van. About 10 men lifted the van and pulled Nicholas out from under it. According to Kristen, Nicky arrived home Wednesday afternoon and spent most of the afternoon outside sticking his good foot in the water. Mario said it was good to have Nicky finally home. "The best time was when it was time to go to bed. Tyler was lying next to him in his hospital bed. It was so sweet to see them lying there together," he said. Tyler is Nicks' 2/2 -year-old brother. The family has been getting by with the generous outpouring of help from members of the community. According to fund-raiser Becky Thomas, nearly $15,000 has been raised to help the family. Kristen said the family hopes to open their Redwood Valley restaurant full-lime by next week. The restaurant, Mario's Ristorante Ilaliano, has only been opened Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays since the accident.

Clipped from
  1. Ukiah Daily Journal,
  2. 07 Jun 1991, Fri,
  3. Page 18

janicew Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in