Clipped From The High Point Enterprise
IN ATLANTA SIT-INS Integration Leader Urges Negroes To Accept Pact By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Negro integration leader Martin Lu-her King Jr. has called on Atlanta's Negro community to calm down and accept the lunch counter desegregation agreement which halted the recent wave of sit-in demonstrations and boycotts in the downtown area. King urged calmness and unity as a mass meeting held to clarify terms of the settlement worked out with the Atlanta-Chamber of Commerce .after some students expressed dissatisfaction. The rally, attended by 2,000 Negroes in the Warren Methodisi Church Friday night, was one of three he'd in as many Southern states. Easier shopping boycotts were urged at meetings in Rock Hill, S. C., and.Louisv.ille. Ky. The agreement between Atlanta Negro leaders and major department, drug and variety stores, announced Tuesday, re-opened lunch counters on a segregated basis with the provision they would be opened to all when school desegregation took place. Atlanta public schools have been ordered to start desegregation in the llth and 12th grades this fall. The University of Georgia at Athens admitted two Negro students in January. Negro ally. A. T; Walden told the meeting the sit-in agreement was a necessary compromise and said that "no other city has made such a sweeping desegregation agreement in advance." But the Rev. Samuel Williams said his understanding was that lunch counters would be opened to all -"no later than next fall regardless of what occurs in connection with school desegregation." Williams said it was agreed lunch counters wmrid desegregate "sometime between,now and September" and that Negro leaders received the impression that some lunch counters would be opened shortly on an integrated basis. At Rock Hill, about 400 Negroes attending a rally voted to boycott all stores on the city's main street for a period of 30 days, extending through the Easter shopping season. James Farmer of New York, national director of the Congress of Racial Equality, told the meeting that four Negro girls would apply for admission to Winthrop College, South Carolina woman's college, in September. The rally, followed by a dance, was staged in honor of 13 students who recently served 30-day jail terms in York County rather than post bond for breach of peace convictions in connection with anti-segregation demonstrations. About 200 Negro youths and three white persons met at a Louisville church and pledged to extend indefinitely the "buy nothing for Easter" campaign-. At Martinsville, Va., six Negro youths picketed two variety stores for about two hours but did not attempt to seek service at the segregated lunch counters. No incidents were reported. In Durham, N. C., 25 faculty members from Duke University and North Carolina College joined students in picketing two movie houses to protest segregated seating policies. The 25 were among 2C2 professors of the two colleges who signed a resolution earlier this week condemning segregation at the theaters. The Rev. J. Neal Hughley of Forth Carolina College, chairman of the liaison committee for the faculty members, told newsmen "this picketing by the faculty is not a one-time shot. It will be a continuous thing as far as we are concerned." In another North Carolina development, Joseph Charles Jones, 23, was reinstated in good standing at Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte after serving 30 days in jail as a result of a sit-in demonstration. The theology sto dent was convicted of breach of the peace at Rock Hill, S. C., and went to jail rather than pos! bond. At Oxford, Miss., Billy C. Bar ton, 20, of Pontotoc, Miss,, said pro-segregation forces were circu ^ reports against him in an apparent attempt to prevent his election as editor of the studen newspaper at the University o. Mississippi. The college senior showed cop ies of letters originating from the Citizens Council in Jackson anc sent by the State Sovereignty Commission. NAME CLEARED 'Deserter's' Body Found In Grave WINDOW, Minn. (AP)-The belief that their son was "too good a boy" to desert the armed forces has been justified for a father and mother after 16 years of effort to clear his name. Mr. and Mrs. John Sogge have been informed by the U.S. Army adjutant general that the remains of their son. Gehart, have been located and that an honorable discharge would be forwarded. The information climaxes years of research by the Red Cross, the FBI, England's Scotland Yard, a Windom law firm, the armed services and the Sogges themselves. The mystery began in the waning days of World War II at St. Dizier. France, where Gehart, a staff sergeant, reportedly had booked passage on a channel- crossing flight to England after being granted a seven-day pass. When he failed to return he was listed as AWOL. As the facts unfolded, Sogge actually had boarded, as an unlisted passenger, a cargo plane taking the same route. Why he had forsaken his seat aboard a passenger plane isn't certain. Minutes after take-off the plane was shot down by German antiaircraft (ire. All occupants were killed. The date was Sept. 25, 1944. First definite information on Sogge came June 13, 1945, when his commanding officer replied to a letter from the missing man's sister, explaining that young | Sogge never had returned from his seven-day pass. But the Sogges didn't give up. From that moment until now, they and a handful of official and private agencies pressed for action.