Grant Wentz Murder Suicide Page 2; 26 Nov 1939

ktrowley Member Photo

Clipped by ktrowley

Grant Wentz Murder Suicide Page 2; 26 Nov 1939 - in in T. of a •O- in T. of at a TRAGEDY...
in in T. of a •O- in T. of at a TRAGEDY (Continued from Page One) could be offered by ofifcers or by the members of the stricken families. families. Told Not To Work- Friday afternoon, Mr. Wentz went to the home of Miss Franche, the waitress at the lunch stand, and left word that she need not work Friday night. "There is little business and Ming Toy won't need to work tonight," tonight," Mr. Wentz told her mother. mother. "We are going to Provo." At 12:30 a, 21. Saturday, Marshal Marshal DavitJ L. Price of South Salt Lake visited the Inn-Stead Inn on his regular round and talked to Mr. \Ventz for 20 minutes. Marshal Price did not see Mrs. Wentz or the children. He reported reported Mr. Wentz was preparing to close up and that the latter mentioned the family was going to Provo. That was the last time Mr. Wentz was seen alive. Personal Papers Found— On a shelf of the bar at the inn, officers Saturday morning while searching for clues found some papers, bills paid, bills due, business matters pending. Some of them indicated, that Mr. Wentz had at one time, paid $1000 to become distributor for hand lotion machines; that he later had sold his holdings for $40. It was probable that Mr. Wentz spent much of the night going over his personal papers. A package addressed to T. Frank Wentz, his-father atOrem, was left by the dead man and was found by the' officers. It contained some of his personal papers, including deeds to some property. Officers said it may have beer significant that Miss Franche had been told not to work Friday night. It was the first V m e in the month that she has been employed employed at the inn that she has not worked a night and slept in the establishment, she told investigators. investigators. The officers found Dalene's body on a bed in a bedroom on the north end of the living quarters. quarters. Earth's body was on another another bed in' the same room. Mr Wentz's body was in the upstairs upstairs kitchen, slumped in front of a stove. Marie's body was on couch in the combination living-dining room upstairs. In a front bedroom bedroom was the body of Mrs. Wentz. Bloody Wire Found— At first, officers were not certain certain whether Mrs. Wentz and toe three children had been shot or slugged. Later investigation indicated indicated they had been strangled then slugged with the hammer. Downstairs, in a waste basket behind the beer bar, officers found four pieces of heavy, insulated insulated wire, apparently cut from a radio antenna outside. They found bits of hair and blood on the fire. Officers said UK apparently had been used in strangling the woman and three children, whose necks bore marks. Presence of some pieces of hose and a' tub, along with a pocket knife found beside them, could not be explained by officers. Neither could the bloodstains downstairs. They said, however, that" Mr. Wentz apparently had strangled and slugged the victims upstairs, took the pieces of wire behind the bar to fiispose of them, turned on the gas in the downstairs stove, then went up to the kitchen and shot himself. Gas Turned On— Investigation showed that gas had been turned on in four jets and "a warming oven in the downstairs downstairs stove. Examination of Mr. Wentz's body showed that a bullet had been fired into one nostril and had lodged in the head. Apparently the rifle muzzle had been placed against the nostril, then gun fired. Miss Franche told officers she had never seen any evidence of domestic quarrels and the family seemed happy. FAMILY (Continued from Page One) been operating: a lunch stand and confecUonery. He is survived by his parents, both of whom have been bedfast with illness for a long time; and- two sisters, Myrl Wentz and Mrs. Zenda Rowley, all of Orem. His father is a civil engineer and has been -water commissioner of the Provo river for many years. Mrs. Afton Angus was born in Lake Shore, February 3, 1912, the daughter of George and Marintha Angus. She attended the grade schools there and later, when the family moved to Provo she attended attended the Provo high school and the Provo L. D. S. seminary, graduating graduating in 1931. She is survived by her parents, three brothers, John Angus of Reno, Nev., Jay W. and Ted Angus, Angus, of Provo. The bodies were brought to Provo late Saturday by the Berg Mrtuary, following their release by the sheriff of Salt Lake county. Announcement of funeral services will be made later. on by

Clipped from
  1. The Sunday Herald,
  2. 26 Nov 1939, Sun,
  3. Page 3

ktrowley Member Photo
  • Grant Wentz Murder Suicide Page 2; 26 Nov 1939

    ktrowley – 07 Apr 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in