Account of Jersey man sent to Buchenwald for hiding a radio

staff_reporter Member Photo

Clipped by staff_reporter

Account of Jersey man sent to Buchenwald for hiding a radio - Informers led to Buchenwald agony oiEqgffia...
Informers led to Buchenwald agony oiEqgffia fTANLEY Green, a Jer- Osey cinema manager, never recovered from the seven months he spent in Buchenwald after a neighbour told the Germans he had a radio, according to his son, Maurice, writes Madeleine Bunting. Mr Green died in 1974. His son vividly remembers the day January 16, 1944 when the police arrived to take his father away. The Germans had discovered that Stanley Green's assistants at the West cinema in St Heller Leonard Proby and Fred Coomes had hidden wire less equipment in the roof. Mr lireen was deeply in volved in resistance activities like cutting telegraph wires and photographing fortifications, but knew nothing of the radio, his son main tains. "My father was informed on. When he returned after the war, having spent seven months in hospital because of his time in Buchenwald, he told me who the men were. If I had had a rifle at the time I would have shot them," Mr Green said. "My father was made to stand behind a door in prison while these informers told all they knew about his activities. What they didn't know they made up." Stanley tireen was impris oned in France without a trial and was caught up in the panic transfer of inmates to German concentration camps after D-Day. He was put in a cattle-truck for a five-day journey, developed severe dysentery, and was suffering abdominal injuries from kicks to the stomach. On arrival at Buchenwald, he was stripped, doused in disin fectant, had his head and body shaved, and given an old pair of trousers and a thin shirt. He slept in the open for six weeks on heaps of stones, barefooted, bareheaded and without covering. "My father was put on a work-party whose job was to lift bodies on to a cart to take to the incinerator. He told me there were piles of bodies as far as the eye could see. Some were still alive. They'd been left for dead because of a typhoid epidemic," Maurice Green said. Mr Green has a collection of photos taken by his father with a home-made camera, which he believes are the only pictures taken inside a concentration camp by an inmate before liberation. "He was made to drop the bodies sometimes they were alive and usually they had been eaten by rats through the chute and into the crematorium. Then he used to have to take an ice-bucket and scrape away the fat from the incinerator." Mr Green paused and shook his head, tears in bis eyes. "My lather told me everything. But every time he would always break down about that experience." Stanley Cjreen survived be cause he was transferred to Laufen camp. After the war, he convalesced in Southampton before returning to his family. My father was a changed man. He nad lost several stone and inches. His fingers were permanently disfigured because of torture. He never recovered mentally or physically. For years he would just sit in front of the television in a sort of stupor. He died in 1974 of a massive stroke. The autopsy doctor told me that it had been brought on by the physical trauma he had suf fered in Buchenwald." In 1948, Stanley Green received 1,800 compensation from the German government. He was interviewed by an American prosecution lawyer in 1945 and his evi dence was used at the Nuremberg trials. "He was very bitter that the British never wanted to know about his experiences and that no one would take action about those who informed on him."

Clipped from
  1. The Guardian,
  2. 05 May 1992, Tue,
  3. Page 6

staff_reporter Member Photo
  • Account of Jersey man sent to Buchenwald for hiding a radio

    staff_reporter – 23 Aug 2018