Clipped From Denton Journal
score. and time Red'3 Smith Willis; basket them Home Coming Held At Old Piney Sunday, November 2nd, proved be a high day at Piney Community Church, located on the Denton- Greensboro highway. A place oJ worship for nearly 70 years, the church was recently acquired from the trustees of St. Paul's Methodisl Church, of Greensboro, and will while a action preliminary ay jy/fe be used as a community church Rev. W. L. Jump, of Denton, as pastor. Built in 1879 on a plot of donated by Thomas Frederick Garey, the church was dedicated Carey's Chapel Methodist Protestant Church, but it has been generally known as Piney Church. Prior to its erection services were conducted in a small house across road by preachers of the Methodist Protestant denomination assigned to the Caroline Charge. A few years ago Piney was at- tached to the Greensboro Methodist Church and was served by Greensboro pastors for a time. Later closed and on the 7th of October, as P 1947, 'it was sold at public auction in Denton, to the Rev. W. L. the highest bidder, who .promptly opened it for the benefit of the surrounding rural community and became the pastor. On the 18th of October at a business meeting held in the church, trustees were elected and Articles of Incorporation were adopted making it Piney Community Church, independent organization. Last Sunday was chosen as Homecoming and Re-dedication Day. crowd that comfortably filled the building was present and four visiting ministers assisted with the services: Rev. 'John E. French, pastor of-First Methodist Church, Denton; Rev. W. C. Beard, pastor of The Pilgrim Holiness Church, Denton; Alfred Clark, pastor v of Smith's Memorial Church, Bethlehem; and Rev. Carvil "Tribbitt, pastor of Hughes' Chape], in Delaware. Also adding much to the success of the service, was the assistance given the singers--The Melvin Sistefs, song evangelists, of Felton, Del., Mr. Lewis Carroll, of Easton, Md.