Nov 22, 1975 Judy Rivera, Page 2

rivercar2 Member Photo

Clipped by rivercar2

Nov 22, 1975 Judy Rivera, Page 2 - Sat., Nov. 22,1975 Mother meets . . ....
Sat., Nov. 22,1975 Mother meets . . . (Continued from Metro Page) after the charges were dismissed. "I have many resentments. It was like a nightmare. I kept telling everybody my daughter was alive, but nobody believed me. I knew she was alive, but I had no way of finding her. I'd lost faith in the courts and even my attorneys. If it hadn't been for Judge Haldorsen I would not have believed people have a chance in court It took a lot of courage for him to do what he did." Rivera said he was "very happy about the way it turned out I had doubts about the system at one time, but I know it works. Judge Haldorsen is a man of great stature. It took a lot of guts to do what he did and I appreciate it." The prosecution had contended that bones of a child with crushed ribs found buried in the Jurupa Hills south of Fontana in 1973 were those of Judy Rivera, who disappeared in 1965 when she was three. Mrs. Walpole, who remarried before the trial, had told other members of her family that the child was left at a hospital, and denied ever having a daughter named Judy when Fontana police investigators questioned her. She said later she feared prosecution for having abandoned the child at the service station. An unusual hip defect and a rare skull bone structure in the bones found in the Jurupa Hills were similar to what medical records revealed about the missing Judy. The ages matched, and the bones were found less than 10 miles from where the Riveras lived at th6 time. Before the trial, defense attorneys announced that the defendants would say they abandoned the child in San Francisco, and showed records of the discovery of such an abandoned child to back their claim. Medical records of that child, named Judy Gasse because she was found in a gas station, also suggested that she could be the missing Judy Rivera. The bones found in the Jurupa Hills were only a bizarre coincidence, lawyers argued. Judy Gasse was found on the basis of information provided by the defendants, and the attorneys argued they could not have known about such a child unless they had actually abandoned her. But Judy Gasse herself could not be located, the prosecution claimed that the abandonment defense was a "fabrication," and the defendants were convicted of second degree murder. After the trial Timothy Martin, a district attorney investigator, did locate Judy Gasse, and a series of blood tests were conducted on her, Mrs. Walpole and Rivera to determine if they could be ruled out as the parents. Fourteen different variables in blood types, some containing sub-variables, were measured, and the investigators concluded that it was medically possible fo Judy to be the daughter of Rivera and Mrs. Walpole. No degree of statistical certainty was offered. Certain physical similarities also were noted between Judy and her alleged parents. The tests were sufficient to persuade the district attorney's office to dismiss the charges. Then, last month, defense attorneys revealed Friday, Judy Gasse (now with a new name not released) and her adoptive mother met with Mrs. Walpole, Rivera, his mother, and the attorneys, Larry Freeman and David Call at a dinner in San Bernardino. "She was so nervous," Mrs. Walpole said about Judy at that meeting. "I thought, my God, why did they have to do this? I had no doubt it was her. She looked so much like Tony and Irma, my other daughter. I was so afraid for her." The adoptive mother, who still lives in the San Francisco area, and Judy herself believe that Judy Gasse THE SUN-TELEGRAM B-3 ,V , .4 ft "CHS ' Merla Bueno Walpole ... it was a nightmare Antonio Rivera . . . very happy now was Judy Rivera, and have made plans to visit with the Walpoles for Christmas, attorneys said. Judy has no recollection of her life before she was adopted, they said. Attorney Freeman, who represented Rivera, said, "In January of 1965 the Riveras were very different , people. They were grindlingly poor and nowhere to turn. Their little girl Judy had been terribly ill for a long time and they were afraid she would die without proper care. Poverty had cut them off from the regular channels of medical aid. Alone and afraid, they thought that if the state found out about Judy, all the children would be taken from them . . . Their desperate decision to abandon Judy in San Francisco came from their love for her and their belief that in such a large city, the proper care would be given to her so that she would live." Attorney Call praised the efforts of three men in the case: Vincent Palermo, a private investigator who located the records of the discovery of Judy Gasse in the San Francisco service station rest room; Judge Haldoresen, who overturned the verdict because he was not satisfied that the case had been proven; and Martin, who was able to locate Judy Gasse in her new adopted family and with her new adopted name even though the San Francisco juvenile court had refused to open its records for him or the defense. "But there is still the mystery of the little body in the grave," commented Freeman. "The Riveras are exonerated, but somebody buried that child. Somewhere, someone has been watching this case, and now they are afraid." Deputy Dist. Atty. Donald Feld said Thursday that the investigation was closed. Lmm! 1 J ""-L". mwJ

Clipped from
  1. The San Bernardino County Sun,
  2. 22 Nov 1975, Sat,
  3. Page 26

rivercar2 Member Photo
  • Nov 22, 1975 Judy Rivera, Page 2

    rivercar2 – 06 Dec 2014

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in