Pascal Dawes Klugh's house

Turdpie Member Photo

Clipped by Turdpie

Pascal Dawes Klugh's house - Probably Oldest House In City Is torn Down . A...
Probably Oldest House In City Is torn Down . A two-story two-story two-story frame house, high on a hill Just off Cokesbury Street, has been torn down. It is believed believed to have beer the oldest structure In. Greenwood. Unoccupied for som.t time and leng mdisrepair, it was con- con- demned as unsafe and unfit for occupancy by the City housing rehabilitation rehabilitation director, Scurry Bur gess. The owner, Charles Thomas of Route Three, Charleston, made arrangements arrangements to have. the house razed as renovation costs would be prohibitive. Tradition has It that the house was first erected at Cambridge, neat Ninety Six, taken down, and the material hauled in wagons to ' Greenwood where" it was rebuilt sometimes in the 1830's. ',,.r Pascal Dawes Klugh was the first owner here. He sold it in 1847 to trustees of the Greenwood Educational Association which operated operated private schools, and Robert Anderson, one of the teachers, lived in the house. The Rev. John McLees, a Presbyterian Presbyterian minister, bought , it in 1850., Ha 'ancLhla family lived there from 640cr 1870. There la no record of the occupants occupants for the next few years, but in 1886 Isaao Walker, Negro shoemaker and harness maker from Virginia, purchased the house for his home and business. , Walker employed a number of skilled workers, made shoes for men and boys which were sold over a wide area. He also sold saddles . and harness and did expert expert tepair on all leather goods. After Walker's death, considerable considerable alterations were made to the house, and ownership has changed several times, though it continued to be . known as the "Ike Walker . house."" J . Frank Robinson, 74-year-old: 74-year-old: 74-year-old: 74-year-old: 74-year-old: workman, has single-handedly single-handedly single-handedly brought the old house down about a week's time. . Sturdy, hand hewn beams notched to fit together, are still sound and solid. "Better lumber thaa 'most any you could buy," Robinson comments.' . Wide floor boards and a paneled door among th debris are further testimony. to the age of the structure. Now that this bouse is gone, e, the distinction of 'oldest structure' belongs to the Hackett bouse on the corner of Seaboard .Avenue ana Hackett Street.' It is a two-, two-, two-, story frame house reportedly built In 1831. Renovated some years ago. it li the home of Mrs. Ben M. Hollingsworth. jured." - Beams Were Mortised Together Frank Johnson holds up s beam with a hand-cut hand-cut hand-cut slot where ajsross piece was mortised in. Johnson, 74, need the Walker, house by himself. ;. ' i.; David W. Robinson, a Columbia

Clipped from The Index-Journal03 Oct 1962, WedPage 1

The Index-Journal (Greenwood, South Carolina)03 Oct 1962, WedPage 1
Turdpie Member Photo
  • Pascal Dawes Klugh's house

    Turdpie – 03 Dec 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in