Rue 2

jopolony Member Photo

Clipped by jopolony

Rue 2 - Perryvilie class learns ' from World War II vet...
Perryvilie class learns ' from World War II vet ; (Continued From Page Al.) I Baril Park in Perryvilie where a monument donated by Danville Monument Co. will be dedicated to the memory of veterans from i this area. . And Rue, although well into his 80s, still has vivid memories of several of the World War II veterans especially the 64 men from Harrodsburg and the two men from Perryvilie that made up the majority of the members of Co. D. Of the 66 local men who went over to the Pacific corridor, only 37 came back and others, like Rue's brother, Arch, died shortly after their return from war-related war-related war-related injuries and illnesses. "The two boys from Perryvilie were Lucian Yankey and Hugh Leonard. We had to leave Hugh over there, and Lucian spent the rest of his life in a hospital," said Rue. "I was very proud of those boys from Perryvilie all of the boys in the company." Co. D. was activated around the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941 but they were kept in the dark at first about why they were being shipped over to the Philippines. They later found out that their job was to protect Clark Airfield, an American base near Manilla, against Japanese attack. , Rue, a major, was commander of the unit while it was aboard the Philippines-bound Philippines-bound Philippines-bound ship but he was replaced in that post when he was promoted to serve on Gen. Douglas MacArthur's headquarters headquarters staff. But Rue didn't have much of a chance to enjoy the promotion. He, the rest of the Co. D and thousands of other Americans soon took on a position with no rank that of prison- prison- . ers of war. v - Rue spent 3Va years as a POW and the low point in the miserable miserable experience was the grueling five-day, five-day, five-day, 65-mile 65-mile 65-mile "death march'' through the jungles of the Bataan peninsula. : The Japanese wanted to move thousands of American captives from a makeshift holdover to an official POW camp. "They had the trucks to do it (move the POWs) but they decided decided that would be too easy on us," said Rue. The Americans were kept marching day and night and given only small amounts of water and food. "They fed us rice balls about the size of a baseball and they had seaweed in them. Seaweed is salty and it was put in with the rice to replace the salt we were losing through our perspiration," he said. "I'd totally lost my appetite and gave the rice balls to an officer officer marching next to me." Frail and fatigued, POWs were dropping dead along the trail and it was the job of Rue and the other survivors to carry their bodies to a graveyard. They put the bodies in blankets and tied the ends to rods. A rrfural-size rrfural-size rrfural-size blown-up blown-up blown-up photo on a wall of the armory classroom showed a parade of American POWs in pairs carrying what looked like sacks of supplies but actually were the corpses of their comrades. The end of the march was really just the beginning of Rue's ordeal as a POW. Not long after the march, he and other -survivors -survivors werew shipped to a POW camp in Japan where he spent three years. Rue's last POW camp was on a mountaintop. It was more of a cemetery than a camp, or at least that's what he believes his captors captors hoped it would become. "They showed us the bitterly cold and snowy conditions and said we'd die there."

Clipped from The Advocate-Messenger04 May 1997, SunPage 10

The Advocate-Messenger (Danville, Kentucky)04 May 1997, SunPage 10
jopolony Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in