Oct 25, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Johnson had help remembering pg 2

jodysharon2004 Member Photo

Clipped by jodysharon2004

Oct 25, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Johnson had help remembering pg 2 - A-2 A-2 A-2 Wednesday. October 25. 1995 Green...
A-2 A-2 A-2 Wednesday. October 25. 1995 Green Bay Press-Gazette Press-Gazette Press-Gazette From A-l A-l A-l Monfils had testified earlier he saw Johnson and Basten carrying something heavy near the pulp vat about 7:30 a.m. that day. Johnson testified he spent most of his time from 7:20 to 8 a.m. in the No. 9 control room on the morning of Monfils' disappearance. Johnson said he was with Basten almost that entire time, except for two trips each lasting only a minute or two to the basement to adjust a valve on the No. 9 paper machine and to replace the valve cover. ." After Kutska came into the control control booth to say Monfils was missing. missing. Basten left for about five minutes, minutes, then returned. Johnson said. The two of them then returned to the instrumentation shop, their normal work station when not repairing machines, Johnson said. While in the No. 9 control booth. Kutska played a tape of Monfils telling police Kutska planned to steal an extension cord from the mill. Johnson said he heard the tape but barely paid attention because he was busy keeping an eye on the machine monitors. Johnson never said in his earliest earliest interviews with police that Kutska had come into the room to announce Monfils was missing. Griesbach said. Johnson never mentioned it until an interview on Jan. 28, 1993. Griesbach said. Griesbach accused him of saying so only because Basten asked him to. Johnson denied that but admitted admitted Basten helped him recall that Kutska told him of Monfils' disappearance. disappearance. Johnson said he and Basten had been over to each other's house several times and talked on the phone several times about the case, even after a lawyer Johnson hired in May 1993 told him not to. Johnson admitted his inability to remember details in the case and refused to allow himself to get trapped by contradicting his earlier testimony and police statements. "Go with the deposition." he told Griesbach when Griesbach tried to prove he had testified in the deposition deposition differently than he was testi- testi- fying Tuesday. "Not the police statement?" Griesbach asked him. "Whichever is sooner," Johnson said. Johnson joined most of the other defendants and several other witnesses witnesses in criticizing Winkler's interrogation methods. Johnson said he refused to sign four pages in his five-page five-page five-page statement in December 1992 because they weren't accurate. Winkler asked him questions and wrote up the document, then asked Johnson to sign them but didn't give him a chance to fix inaccuracies. Johnson said. However, Johnson did make corrections corrections throughout and initialed them, Griesbach pointed out. And Johnson signed the document document on the last page, near a line that states he'd read the document and it is true and correct. After signing, Johnson had written written an added line saying he'd asked Basten whether he and Basten were the last people to see Monfils alive, and Basten said he'd heard someone saw him getting a drink of water from a bubbler later.

Clipped from Green Bay Press-Gazette25 Oct 1995, WedMain EditionPage 2

Green Bay Press-Gazette (Green Bay, Wisconsin)25 Oct 1995, WedMain EditionPage 2
jodysharon2004 Member Photo
  • Oct 25, 1995, Monfils Homicide: Johnson had help remembering pg 2

    jodysharon2004 – 03 Dec 2016

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in