Beverly Minotti

d_slaboda Member Photo

Clipped by d_slaboda

Beverly Minotti - FOUR DROWN Young Sailor Tells Of Sea Tragedy ^_...
FOUR DROWN Young Sailor Tells Of Sea Tragedy ^_ EDWIN C. BOWERS NEW YORK"(UTE s iy'-- A" young crewman from a sunken who survived for three days clinging to floating wreckage in the open Atlantic today told how two companions jumped delirium from the makeshift raft to their deaths in the sea. n Two other persons on the yacht also were lost. Chris Brooks, the lone survivor from the motor yacht Lanran, said a 3-year-old girl drowned when she was washed from his arms as he slept. He said the owner of the yacht was lost Friday night soon after the boat went down, calling from the darkness until his voice faded away. Brooks, 22, a crewman aboard the 64-foot Lanran, described his ordeal to United Press International from a hospital on Staten Island. Brooks, the only one of five persons on the yacht to survive, was picked up Monday by the freighter Fra Berlanga. Lost at sea were Dr. James Dodge, 56, of Hamilton Township, N.J., owner of the boat; Francis Gravatt, 28, the captain; Mrs. Beverly Minotti, 20, of Hamilton Township, and her daughter, Kimberly. "There was a storm. We were "lost. The pumps stopped working and we were taking water," Brooks said. "We tried stuffing holes with our clothing but it didn't work. It just kept sinking. "In 5 or 10 minutes it was down. We jumped off the boat. Everyone but the doctor-even the little girl--got back on the roof and the boat broke up. The sea was rough, very rough. "We heard the doctor calling from the darkness, and we holered to him, 'here we are,' We kept hearing his voice--for about an hour. Then it just faded away." Brooks said the boat, which left Trenton, N.J., last Wednesday bound for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., went down between 8 and 9 p.m. Friday. Brooks said he, Gravatt and Mrs. Minotti managed to stay with the makeshift 'raft throughout the night, taking turns holding the young girl. "Saturday morning the captain began shouting," said Brooks. "He didn't know what he was doing. I don't remember what he was saying. He kept falling in the water. We tried bring him back. He kept going down and coming up. Then he went down." Brooks and Mrs. Minotti took turns holding the young girl during the rest of the day. The girl appeared dazed, he said, but Mrs. Minoiti was in good condition. "Sunday morning the mother told me to take my shirt off put it on the little girl," Brooks said. "She said it would be warmer for her." Suddenly, Mrs. Minotti announced "I'm g o i n g for swim,'" Brooks related. "She took her life jacket off. I tried to get her to put her life jacket back on but instead, she stood up and took her slacks off and dove in the water. A big wave swept her away." Brooks said he began to get delirious and kept losing consciousness while he tried to hold the young girl. "I came to and the baby in the water," Brooks said. "I got her out of the water. I --I gave her artificial respiration..." Distraught, Brooks was unable to say more child's death. about the Brooks said the occupants of the makeshift raft had seen several passing boats, both at night and during the day, but had been unable to attract their attention. Brooks said he when the Fra Berlanga, a United Fruit Co. vessel, came into sight he began shouting but the boat passed by. He thought he had not been sighted but the ship made a wide turn to come back to the raft. Brooks said when he saw the freighter coming toward him he jumped into the water and swam to it. A crewman on the ship went into the water to Brooks aboard. of

Clipped from
  1. Tucson Daily Citizen,
  2. 15 Aug 1967, Tue,
  3. Page 18

d_slaboda Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in