C. W. Matheson
A to it BARREL OF GASOLINE EXPLODES; KILLS ONE Edwardsville Woman Died Last Night. Five Others Injured and Damage Amounts to $2,000. An explosion of a barrel of gasoline at the residence of John Kozar, of Edwardsville, early yesterday morn ing, caused a fire destroying property to the value of $2,000 and burning five persons, one of whom died later at the Wilkes - Barre City hospital. When the injured ones were rescued C. "W. Matheson, of. the Matheson Motor Car company, , toured about Edwardsville and Kingston and managed to get Drs. Lewis Edwards, J. E. Schiefly and H. B. Wilcox to attend them. He did all ho could to relieve them and after the injured ones were' removed to the hospital in Kniffen's and Posten's ambulances Mr. Matheson took the physicians to the hospital to assist in dressing them. Chief of Police Williams and Alfred Davis, a mine foreman, were among the first on the scene and after turn ing in an alarm were horrified to see a woman rushing, out of the building. her body enveloped in fire, screaming with mingled ' fright and pain. They rushed to her aid and after a few minutes' hard work succeeded in quenching the flames, but not until the wot man had been awfully burned. There wasn't a spot on her body which had not been scorched and many parts were charred. The Edwardsville Fire company re sponded to the alarm and prevented the destruction of adjacent properties. When they arrived it was discovered that there were three children In the fast burning structure. ' A. number of the firemen rushed into the building and on the stairway leading up to the second floor they there, found the three little boys unconscious on the flooj - of their bedroom from which they had made a frantic effort to escape. When awakened by the suffocating smoke which had overcome them before they had gone ten feet. "