Internation Temple Dedicated 1937 Mar

d_har Member Photo

Clipped by d_har

Internation Temple Dedicated 1937 Mar - International Temple of Eastern Star Dedicated;...
International Temple of Eastern Star Dedicated; Former Belmont Mansion Of particular interest to members of the Eastern Star in this community, is the following complete description of the International Temple of the Eastern Star, in Washington. D. C., dedicated on February 24, which is given by a staff correspondent of tho Christian Science Monitor: Washington—One of the capital’s most palatial mansions was dedi­ cat etl February 21 as the new international headquarters of tho Order of the Eastern Star. Presentation of the building, bought with contributions from chapters all over the world, was made by William A. Duvall. Most Worthy Grand Patron during a religious and smybolic ceremony held in the grand ballroom, scene of many a distinguished gathering in the days when the mansion was the residence of Perry Belmont. It was accepted for the Order by Mrs. Frances Haun, Most Worthy Grand Matron. The new temple was designed by Sanson, a famous French architect, as the private home of Mr. Belmont, the grandson of Commodore Matthew Perry who brought about the signing of tho first commercial treaty with Japan. It is especially noted for its fine vistas, down circular staircases and through marble arches, reflected again antl again in the mirrored doors. The Eastern Star purchased the home from Mr. Belmont a year and a half ago at an unpublished cost. Since then its exterior has been cleaned. Its silk wall coverings dry cleaned, its carved woodwork thoroughly washed and waxed, and Its many cut-glass chandeliers polished and rewired. Many Official Events Before and during the World war. the house was the scene of important official entertainments for foreign and American guests, its most distinguished visitor was the present Duke of Windsor who made his headquarters there when he came to Washington in 1919 as the Prince of Wales to return the visit President Wilson had made to Buckingham Palace. In the grand ballroom he bestowed British orders antl honors on officers of the American army and navy. Several other important foreign missions made their headquaters at the mansion, among them one from Japan in 1917 headed by Viscount Kikujiro Ishil and one from Great Britain headed by Sir Eric Gedds. In 1919 President Pessoa of Brazile occupied the house for a few days. The job of furnishing the house in a manner fitting its grandiose style had been personally supervised by Mrs. Haun. who holds the highest office in the order. Chapters in China, Hawaii, and the Philippines have sent gifts of their finest native materials. A pipe organ has been installed ami was played by the city’s foremost organists during the three-day open house held in connection with the dedication. On the first floor are offices for the Right Worthy Grand Secretary, Mrs. Minnie Evans Keyes, antl the Right Worthy Grand Treasurer, Mrs. Flora Campbell, as well as guest quarters for the Most Worthy Grand Matron and Most Worthy Grand Patron. The first floor also includes a “treasure room.” containing souvenirs of the Prince of Wales’ stay in the mansion and a priceless embroidered screen presented to Mr. Belmont by the Japanese government in return for his hospitality to the Imperial Mansion in 1917; antl a small dining room whose ceiling has been decorated by Mrs. Eugene Saugstad, of Alexandria. Va„ with a symbolic oval painting representing the heroines of the order. Grand Ballroom On the second floor are the grand ballroom with its red brocaded walls and liand-carved oak woodwork; an equally lavish drawing room, and an Italian dining room whose ceiling was brought piece by piece from an Italian castle antl whose mantelpiece is said to be more than 800 years old. The former music room has been turned into a small chapel. In the two wall cases, where Mrs. Belmont formerly displayed her famous collections of fans, the Eastern Star will post an honor roll of chapters which have contributed 100 per cent to the temple fund. Fine Oriental and Aubusson carpets have been purchased to enhance the grandeur of the various rooms. Tho one in the chapel is more than 7f> years old antl the only one of its kind in the United States. The order now has over 2.000.000 members with chapters in all the states, all Canadian provinces, Cuba, Alaska, the Canal Zone. Mexico, Puerto Rica. China. Hawaii and the Philippine Islands. Members came from long distances to attend the dedication. Mr. and Mrs. Ben Woodard were among Escanabans at the ski tournament at Munising Sunday. Quality and GREEN *

Clipped from
  1. The Escanaba Daily Press,
  2. 09 Mar 1937, Tue,
  3. Page 6

d_har Member Photo
  • Internation Temple Dedicated 1937 Mar

    d_har – 15 May 2013

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in