Good Shepherd Church history, Follansbee WV (Hahne)
WEIRTON, WEST VIRGINIA. SATURDAY, MAY 27. Terrell WÂ». son of Churches Of The District A Weekly Feature Of The Weirlon Daily Times Church of the Good Shepherd 930 Neville Sfi, Follansbee Church Of Good Shepherd Founded In Brooke In 1910 State Education ost Offered To KentuckyTeacher CHARLESTON; w. va.(upi) --The Job of administrator or ilghec education, in West Vir inia has been offered (o a Jniversity of Kentucky educa- ion professor, The state Board of Education ilans to meet with Leslie Marin, within the next week con- ernlng the $22,1004-year posi- ion, United Press International earned today. The Board of Public Works announced at a Thursday meet ng its approval of hiring and administrator for the eight slate colleges and Marshall Untver sity. Stale Board of Education 'resident Lacy nice said a. with high Qualifications w a needed to work with the college residents who are paid fZOjOOO (o $25,000. Martin is an Indiana native with degrees from Purdue University and Indiana University. Ho was assistant personnel director at Kentucky until 1034 vhen he became dean of men, n 1964 he returned to teaching 1 . Martin was assistant to t h dean of the junior division at ndiana U. before going to Ken- ucky in 1943. Rice said the director would five to visit the Institutions er learning to determine heir needs and make r.ecom mendations to the board. "It we ore to do a reasonably satisfactory job it is necessary hat we organize our board in a business-like manner," R said, ,The education board liasbeen criticized by members of t h 3PW for the way it handled allocations of functions. By SUSAN KEAENS , Times Stall Writer KOLLANSBEE - The story of the Church of the Good Shepherd dates back 57 years to the time when Episcopalians were immigrating from Wales and England to work in the local steel mills. It was 1910 when two lotswcre purchased as a site for the church, but not.until 1912 did the actual work on it begin. THE ESTABLISHMENT 01 the church was directed by George Hahne, J. B. McGranahan and the Rev. James D. Gib. son of Christ Church, Wellsburg. A certificate of consecration was signed by the Rt. Rev. Robert E. Strlder, Bishop of West Virginia on March 30,1920, and the first priest assigned to ilie Brooke County church ar rived Jan, 1, 1932. He was the Roy, Mr. Iforman J. Thurston. 11E WAS ASSIGNED to the Church of the Good Shepherd as "priest in charge" but not as a lull lime clergyman, since his duties also include ministering to a congregation in Chester, Ten years later the Rev, Mr. Thurston was succeeded by ths Rev. Mr. Robert Reistor. He and the other futllime ministers who followed in the next ten years all resided in Wellsburg. However, in 1952, Hie church acquired its first resident clergyman, the Rev. Mr. George MacFarren. Under his leadership a new steel roof was added to the church, which is located on Neville Street. A VICARAGE was the next project of the church, and it never Know in ess... when con ploy piano! Mo. 4 At Follansbee Named To Attend Junior "States" FOLLANSBEE - -Homer S. Bodley, principal of Follansbee School, announced today the selection of four students to attend Boys and Girls Slate Camp. Two junior boys have been selected to attend Mountaineer Boys Slate in June. Appointed by the American Legion Post of Follansbee, the boys are Peter I?. Adler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emmelt Adler of 6-15 Gilbert Ave., and Merle Gaudio, son of Mr, and Mrs. D. Merle Gaudio of 1067 Jefferson St. Both are honor students and members of. the National Honor Society at the high school. They will take part in Hie citi- senship and government ac- .ivilies at JacksonsMill. Jeanne DeCesare and Evelyn Vitarelli have teen chosen to attend Rhododendron Girls tale at Jacksons Hill June 11. 17. Jeanne is tho daugliler of Mr, and Mrs. flobcrt DeCesare of 516 Etiady Lane and is sponsor- id by the Junior Woman's Club. was completed in January, 1958, during the pastorate o the Rev. Mr. Theodore Huboell The Rev. Mr. Harry Blair began his work' at the Church, o the Good Shepherd in July, I960, and remained until October, 1962. - HIS SUCCESSOR, Â·who is the current pastor, was the Rev. Mrs. William J. Redmon. A full- time vicar since his ordination in December, 1363, he had.serv- ec! the church up to that time as a student in charge, commuting on weekends from Bexley Hall Seminary In Gambter, Ohio. In May, 1965, work was begun on a $15,000 parish ball and an annex lo the rear of the church proper. The building was completed in December, 1966. The men and women of the church, fcy volunteering to perform many cost-saving jobs themselves, were instrumental in the erection, of the building and the early payment ot the t/rganization is the Women's New Life Guild, which makes yearly financial donations to the church and has helped 'pur chase dining pan equipment and carpeting and lights Jor the sanctuary. The membership now totals 142, a figure which has tripled since the arrival of (he Rev. Mr. Redmon, A youth group tias been organized in addition to a children's choir, which performs each Sunday. VESTRYMEN A R E ' Albert Boyd, Alexander Smith, Alvin Haught, William Carson, Lewis Buck, John LeLanchon, Harold Schumacher, Theodore Holmes and John Bullock. The oldest charter member Is Mrs. George Hahne, whose husband was a church founder. Also, John LeLanchon joined the church in August, 1920, and 5 still an active worker. Thus, through 57 years of existence, old members have joined with new ones to make the Churdi ot the Good Shepherd an Important factor In the community of Follansbee. Baccalaureate Sermon Slated By Pepnybackqr BETHANY -- Albert:'M'.'p'en nybacker, minister of Heighl Christian C h u r c h , er Heights, Ohio, will delive the 127lh annual baccalaureat sermon at 8 p.m. June 2 a Bethany College. The following day -- at ihi 10 a.m. commencement exer cises -- Mr. Pennybacker wil receive the honorary degree o elector of divinty. The degree will, be conferred by Dr. E. Gresham, Bethany president. Mr. Pennybacker received the AB degree from Vander- ailt University and the BD degree . from Yale University Divinity School, He served as minister of ;ral Christian Church, Youngs- .own, and Taftville Congrega- lional Church, Norwich, Conn., before assuming his presen' pastorate Feb. 1,1963. Mr. Pennybacker is president of the board of trustees of the Disciples Divinity House of the University of Chicago, He is member of the board of Unilec Christian Missionary Society and chairman of the trustee committee of the division world mission of UCMS, and first vice president of the Council on Christian Unity ot the Christian Churches. Delegate-elect ol the Uppsal; Assembly of the World Council of Churches in 1968, he was delegate to the New Delhi As- :emb!y of the WCC, a delegate to the U.S. Conference for the iVorld Council, a delegate to :he Triennial Assembly of the National Council of Churches, a delegate to the Montreal Conference on Faith and Order chairman of the Commission Metropolitan Affairs of the Council of Churches of Cleveand, Skaters To Meet 1 The monthly meeting ol the !enior Wheels Holler Skating Club of Millsop Community Center will be held Sunday at 9 p.m. in the White Room. iam McMillan will be in charge of the session.