Record Argus 3/21/1949
MAN BURNED AT CONNEAUT LAKE Fire Threatens Entire • Row of Lake Cottages. A retired Pittsburgh dentist suffered suffered slight burns about his face Saturday morning in a fire caused by an exploding kerosene stove at Conneaut Lake. The fire threatened threatened to sweep down an entire row of closely-spaced cottages on the lake's east side. Dr. C. J. Gracey was treated by a Conneaut Lake physician for facial burns he received when fire damaged his two-story frame cot- tage on Shady Avenue, possibly beyond repair. The blaze was fought by firemen from Conneaut Lake, Conneaut Lake Park and Harmonsburg. Flames singed Dr. Gracey's clothing and burned his face as he tried to carry out a burning kerosene kerosene stove from the downstairs in a futile attempt to save the cottage. cottage. Dr. Gracey had lighted the fire in the stove about 20 minutes before before the explosion, which he and his wife heard from another first- floor room. He tried first to smother the fire with rugs, and when that failed he started to carry out the stove. A door swur£" shot on him and fanned the blaze. The dentist gave up his attempt to remove the stove then and followed his wife out of the cottage. Conneaut Lake Borouerh volunteers. volunteers. called about 11:35 a. m., found the rear part of the dwelling a mass of flames when they arrived. arrived. The other two fire denartments were called out when Chief Raymond Raymond Lewis saw the fire threatening threatening neighboring cottaees only ten or twelve feet on either side of 1he Gracey cottage. Chief Lewis, estimating building and contents loss at about $4.000, said the entire back part of the cottage would have to be rebuilt and the front would reouire extensive extensive renair work before it could be used again. Nearly all furniture furniture in the cottage was damaged beyond use either by fire or water.