Clipped From Harrisburg Telegraph
HISTORIC BUILDING Erected in 1858, it Was First Home of the Messiah Lutheran Church After having been in use for over half a century as a place of worship,' the. first building occupied by Messiah Lutheran church, erected in March, 1 8 5 S", at the corner of State and Fourth streets, by the Ladies' Mite society of Zion Lutheran church, and afterwards moved to the corner of AVilliam and Calder streets, has been purchased by W. A. Cartwright, the ice cream manufacturer manufacturer of Third and Calder streets, and has been changed from a church edifice into an ice house. Hundreds of tons of clear ice taken from the. Susquehanna river has been placed in storage and the old church will be completely filled in preparation preparation for the coming summer. Messiah Lutheran church had its immediate origin in a mission Sunday school, the first session of which was held on February 8, 1858, in a house rented on East State street near Cow - den. Qne month later at a meeting of the Sunday School association of Zion church it was agreed that a lot should be seoured and a chapel built for the use of the school. The first pastor of the church after its organization was Rev. E. S. Johnston. Johnston. The church then purchased a lot on Forster street, near Sixth, and erected the building now used by Tabernacle) Tabernacle) Baptist church. In 1S89 the name was changed from Forster Street Lutheran church to Messiah and the present building erected. In 1864, during' the Civil war, the little chapel, the home of the present Messiah Lutheran' congregation, which now numbers nearly a thousand members, members, was moved to the lot on the corner corner of William and Calder streets, then on the outskirts of. the city, and has since been used by the People's Mission. Mission. Mr. Cartwright said today that he would use the building as an' ice house for several years and then tear , it down.