ltua-tina. de- satis-ctonly GEORGE WOOD DEAD. CAREER Or OXR OF THS OLDEST THEATRICAL MANAGERS VH THE COCKTRT. -Tba caraeT of George Wood, wbo died on Sunday, waa sufficiently full of ups and downs to satisfy even bia longing for variety. Ho was one of tbo oldest theatrical manager to too country, and, in bia prima, mad and lost money witb apparently equal facility, both East and West. Good fortune never deserted him for any creaOengib oQttme, until after be became a boot-face. George Wood's first season at management in this city was at tbe Old Bowery Theatre, In 183fWL It was not raooaruL in spite of his strenuous efforts to make it so. He decided to try bia fortune to the WeM aod settled in Cincinnati. Tbere be built, at Sixth and Vino reels. theatre known as Wood's. In 1866 Edwin Booth, then under toe management of Heo jam in A. Raker, plaved an engage ment at Wood's Theatre. Throe year later Mr. Wood married BlUa Logan, then a celebrated tragedy aetreas. He made money in Cincinnati, and after a star ot several years removed to bt, Louie, where bo built a theatre, also named after himself. In this venture be was also suooeestul, and when be returned to Mew-York, la tbe Winter of 1804, be was tn very comfortable financial cireumstanoea. His second venture in this city was tbe lease of tbe New-Tork Theatre, originally knowa as Brougham's Lyceum and afterward as the first Wallack's Theatre. He opened tbe New-Tork Theatre on May 1H64, wltb Bimmona, tbe magician, and began his regular dramatic season two weeks later with Fannie Kamble's play. "An English Tragedy." Ia tbia pnxss Mrs. D. W. Waller was tbe star. He retained control of tbe theatre until April 1, 1867. when be transferred tbe lease to Barney Williams. Meanwhile, on bee 15, 1886, when Henry Wood retired from tbe management of Minstrel Hall, that for several years was at No. al Broadway, George Wood came into possession ot tbe building. He opened it en Jan. 15. leM, as Wood's Theatre, with "The BalloonWed-dlng. F. S. Chanrrau was the star. Tbe Han-Ions filled out tbe bill wltb acrobatic feats tbat in tboae davs were considered marvelous. In August, 1800, tbe Hanlons obtained control of tbe bouse, aod later it became known as a German theatre, then as Wood's Tbaatra Oomique, later atlll as Llnrards Theatre, and finally as Harrlgan at Hart's Theatre Comlque. It was while managing this boose tbat Mr. Wood introduced to New-York tbe onoe noted WorreU sister. Banvard1 Museum, now Italy's Theatre, was originally opened on June IT, 1MTT. In the succeeding Spring It pasaed into tbe handa or Mr. Wood, who bad entered into an aa-reement with P. T. Barnum by watch tbe latter was debarred from figuring in the city as a museum manager for a given number of years. Mr. Wood ber an bis seasonal tbia bouse on Aug. 1868, with Samuel Colvllle as his a rent. Mr. Barnum made tbe opening address. Early in tbe season Mr. Wood introduced to America Lydia Thompson and ber troupe, in which were Pauline Mark-bsro, Lisa Weber, and Ada Harland. Then for a couple of rears Mr. Wood tried bis band at hotel management. He leased tbe Fplnrler House, at Fourteenth-street and Broadway, and while conducting tbe hotel be lost his wife, wbo died Jan. IS, 1872. He lost considerable money In tbe hotel venture aod soon returned to theatrical management. He married again. His second wife was Henrietta Grainger, a young actress wbo came from Australia and was a member of one of his oompanlea, Heaeu tied in Philadelphia for a while, and was often confounded with Col. J. H.Wood, wbo, like himself, bsd pttoued bia tent in tbe Quaker City. George Wood' last venture in management was at Minneapolis about a year ago. It was not more profitable tban other of his sobemes bad been for years, and be returned to this city poor in pocket and In broken health. His second wtfe became tbe mainstay of tbe family. Sbe was a chorus singer in Duff's Mikado" company until ber husband's precarious condition demanded ber constant attendance. The dead manager will be buried to-day at the expense of the Actor' Fund in bt own lot in Greenwood Cemetery by tbe side of his first wife and one of bis child: en. He bad four children, all by his second wife. Three or them, all very yonng, are living. The funeral services will be oonaucted at 1:30 o'clock to-lay by tbe Kev. Dr. Houghton, at the Cnurch of tbe Transfiguration.