Skip to main content

The Topeka State Journal Archive

  • Topeka, Kansas
  • 18731922

About

The Topeka [Kansas] State Journal is a continuation of the Topeka Blade, a paper founded by Clarke Swayze in August 1, 1873. George W. Reed bought the Blade in 1879 and changed its name to the Daily Kansas State Journal. Between 1879 and 1885, the paper underwent many changes in ownership, editors, and publishers. In 1881, Samuel N. Wood was editor and the State Journal Company the publisher. In 1882, Reed, Allen, and Co. became its publisher and later in 1883 its owner. The following year, the State Journal Company took over the paper and changed its name to the Topeka State Journal. In April 1885, the Journal went into the hands of a receiver, but in June, it passed back to the State Journal Company. Finally, in 1885, Frank P. MacLennan purchased the Journal; he published and edited the paper until 1940 when it was bought by Oscar S. Stauffer.

Archive Info

  • 132,543
  • Topeka, Kansas
  • 18731922

Source Information

The Topeka State Journal, 1873–1922 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2024. Last updated: February 28, 2019

Recent Article Clippings

See All

The Topeka State Journal
Topeka, Kansas
 • Page 3
Clipped 
Brooks children to stay with grandparents

Brooks children to stay with grandparents

The Topeka State Journal
Topeka, Kansas
 • Page 5
Clipped 
Brookses Divorce case

Brookses Divorce case

The Topeka State Journal
Topeka, Kansas
 • Page 5
Clipped 
Joseph Lemi Sheldon Obit Part 2

Joseph Lemi Sheldon Obit Part 2

The Topeka State Journal
Topeka, Kansas
 • Page 10
Clipped 

The Topeka State Journal
Topeka, Kansas
 • Page 10
Clipped 

Archive Info

  • 132,543
  • Topeka, Kansas
  • 18731922

Source Information

The Topeka State Journal, 1873–1922 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2024. Last updated: February 28, 2019