Note: This clipping was created from a page that has been replaced with a better quality image.
Leo, 70 p.1
are the or Bakery Sold; Renamed To Denney's The Boston Cafe Bakery. 167 E. 3rd St., has changed owners and names. It is now known as Denney's Cafe. The restaurant, formerly known as the Boston Bakery, has been at the same location since 1868. LEO C. CT1BOR, who will be 70 on June 1, has sold the business which he has owned and operated.11.years. The new proprietor is Mrs. Denise .Myska, who operated the Avenue Cafe at 310 Mankato Ave. for eight months. Winonans and area residents have been patronizing the cafe for 100 years. The first bakery in Winona was started in 1868 when Frank W. Schmidt of Sari came here to collect $500 he had loaned to a Winona J. C. Parrhysius. Parr- hysius persuaded y o u n to purchase a lot and start a bakery business here. Schmidt, a native of Germany, who came to the United States at the age of 14 and learned the bakery trade in Boston, accepted the idea and established the Boston Bakery. AFTER operating the bakery for about 17 years, Schmidt sold business to Charles Westmann in 1885, who continued for 11 years before selling it back to Schmidt. In 1900, Schmidt's son, Walter H. Schmidt, assumed operation of the business and continued until his son, Walter F. Schmidt, took over in 1940. The Schmidt family left the business in 1948 when it was sold to Ralph Keenan. Not including the 11 years that the bakery was owned by Westmann, three generations of the Schmidt family had operated the store a total of 69 years. Keenan