William Tress wounded in fire, 1888
AN AFTERNOON BLAZE AMONG THE FIREWORKS. A Paekoie of Red Fire ta Bacon's Store Ignited, the Fire Crackers Gradually Get Warmed Up, and the Firemen Do Some Lively Work, bnt the Loss Is 810,000. The central part of the city was thrown into a whirlwind of excitement this af ternoon by a fire in the confectionery establishment of Daniel Bacon, at 434 - 438 Market street For a few minutes it looked as if it would be impossible to save the building or its contents, but the firemen responded promptly and the fire wa3 soon under control. . Three streams of. water were turned on and the flames, which were blazing up like a furnace and licking the awn - ine in front were subdued in . an incredibly brief period. There was an immense crowd of people in the vi cinity and the firemen found some difficulty in handling their apparatus, owing to tne crowd. William Tress, a son of Supervisor Tress and member of the Paxton fire company, had a terrible gash cut in his right arm by a piece of glass falling upon it from the window of Raysor's drug store, as he was in the act of closing the door. Mr. Tress was taken to Forney & Knouse's drug store, where the'wound was dressed.