Clipped From Pittston Gazette

kinnelon59 Member Photo

Clipped by kinnelon59

WOMAN KILLED BY GAS IN HOME WLRE SHE WAS EMPLOYED Entering (he home of Joseph Kerr, at 279 North Main s'treet yesterday atternoon preparatory to fixing a leak on the roof of the house, George v oigt, tinsmith, found Mrs. Anna laz - atinee, of Duryea, asphyxiated by gas In the bedroom of the home. Voigt made known his, disoovery to Alderman Alderman Lewis Smith, owner of fh house, wno, arter ma King runner investigation, investigation, notified Deputy Coroner C. E3, Howell. The illuminating gas which caused the woman's death, escaped from a gas Jet in the ibed room of the Kerr home. The woman had been v. v., i . , nuu . J uu n . . . i . . iried man, to clean i:s home during tno nours wniiehe is at work. The gas jet in the 'bedroom is provide'd with a chain and spark attachment, which evidently was not familiar to her. She admitted the flow ,of gas, but a defect in the spark prevented it from lighting. She apparently continued continued her work uhtil overcome by the fumes and then threw herself across the hed, where she was found dead. For several years the deceased has busied herself with employment in her home town and this city. As far as is 'known she had no near relatives. The remains were taken to Dills Undertaking establishment in Duryea and prepared for .burial. Deputy Coroner Howell announced this aflternoon that an inquest into the woman's death will too held early next week.

Clipped from
  1. Pittston Gazette,
  2. 13 Feb 1920, Fri,
  3. Page 1

kinnelon59 Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in