Clipped From The Indianapolis Star

marlysjohanne Member Photo

Clipped by marlysjohanne

 - 1 $40,000 BLAZE IN LUMBERYARD j Dry Kiln Room...
1 $40,000 BLAZE IN LUMBERYARD j Dry Kiln Room of Talge Mahog-j any Company Swept by Spontaneous Fire. i Fire that originated In the dry kiln ! room of the Talge .Mahogany Company I at 1101 lUmt Thirteenth street, shortly i before II o'clock last night, ate through j approximately f 10,000 worth of blrd's-i eye manic and mahogany stored In the steam-heated compartment before firemen succeeded In smothering the flames, j Rejorts reached fire headquarters almost simultaneously from Mrs. William C. Kemker. 1 l'-M Kast Thirteenth street, and Ktifus Morgan, night watchman for the company, ut 11:1.1 o'clock. The flic-Is thought to have been caused by the Ignition of gases generated by the dried lumber In the, closed room and evl-' dently hud smoldered for some time before the Haines broke out sufficiently to be seen from outside of thu plant. Loss Covered by Insurance. Gordon J. Talge. 1941 North Delaware sireet, assistant secretary of the company, was tho only otlU-ial on tha ground, and in conjunction with Fire Chief Ixmck estimated that the total loss would approximate 110.000, covered by insurance. .More than SO. 000 feet of veneered lumber was ntored In the room, according 4o Mr. Talge's estimate. - John Allen and Itlenzel Williams, colored members of hose company 16, fell from a ladder at the second story window of the plant while handling a hose. line. Allen fell on his back and Injured hla spine and Hhouldcr so severely that tin was unconscious for som! time. A first aid examination revealed that ihe right shoulder blade was broken. Williams fell on top of Allen and was unhurt.

Clipped from
  1. The Indianapolis Star,
  2. 05 Oct 1920, Tue,
  3. Page 1

marlysjohanne Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in