DUNLAFS Celebrated Hats. Stiff, Soft and Silk. SPRING STYLES! DEWENT THE HATTER. OBSERVE! The announcement of Tucker & Young | THE PEARL ST. TAILORS. Spring g Their New Goods are ready for inspection. Special attention is called to their $20.00 suits made to order. Yours Truly, "PUCK." 'tENIX LIKE IT ARISES. THE HEW FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHCRCH DEDICATED AFRESH. Frenh From ibe Fire » Notable Church UtrncMire Arl»e» Open far Pabllu Worship-Tim Flrn Preibj- terlmn Church'. D«y for Public Congratulation-* Hlntorr of Hie P«.i and Ke»«rkn of the Prenent With Prediction! for tlie Futnre- The Dedicatory ««rTle*» on linn- <UT-A *i«od Work Well >VND NOT THE TESTIMONIALS Of PURCHASABLE CHEMISTS, DAILY JOURNAL. TUESDAY MORNING. MARCH 13. Fred Taj lor is couiined to his homo fcy illness. New spring capes and jackets s.t the Golden Rule. To N. A. Long and wife of th West Side, a son. Totfoah Bennett and wife, of th South Side, a daughter. To Benj. Cotncr and wife, Fifteenth and High streets, a son. The bids (or the new high «ohoo 1 bulletin* will be opened at noon to •lay. Cba§. M. Goby and Dora Myert Wm. Wlnn and Susan Hall, were yes terday licensed to marry. John E. Hayes closed bis Marke utreet «aloon "The Clipper" las «T«nlng. Poor business Is set down •s tbo cause. Malaria Is one of the most Insldiou of health destroyers. Hood's Sarsa parllla counteracts It§ deadly poUon and builds up tbo system. Ash & Hadley's furniture factory I suffering by reason of the Saturdaj night wind storm In the extent of on large smoke stack which fell ft victim to the winds. While oon»ider»bl damage is reported In connection with the storm to the north and we»t of u~ tbore was comparatively little dairiag done here, although for ft couple 0 hour* tbe winds howled furiously. Away back in 1839 the Presbyterian hurch in Logansport was not the powerful organization it is at the >resent. In those early daya the jhuroh was comprised in one congregation which worshiped in the since remodeled church edifice at the corner of Ninth street and Broadway under tho pastorate of Rev. Dr. Post of revered memory. In that year there was a division in the congregation, iho -'old school" faction drawing out and leaving the "new school" element In the congregation to retain tho Broadway church. Upon this division the "old school", then very few in number, became organized under tbe dlrecllon of Rev. John Wright. This notable organization was affected and services held In the spring of 1810 In a two story frame structure used then as a Latin school and standing at the corner of Fourth street and Broadway on the site now and long past occupied by the McTaggart block. ID the hal' on the second floor of this old sohoo building Rev. John Wright organized his little band of followers Into tte old school Presbyterian churob o' Lo gansport, wtlch body was duly Incor porated under the laws of the Stati and the charter approved by a specla acl of the General Assembly of lodl ana January 8th. 1840. Upon thi •ffllLotion of tbe old and the new schools about 1876 It became known as the First Presbyterian church. The name* of the ^corporators and trustees were: Wm. Brown, Andre Young, David Corblt. James W. Dunn and John W. Wright, of whloh boan Andrew Young was preitdent ,and John W. Wright secretary. The fin. elders were: Jo«. Harper. Wm Brown and Jos. Corblt. The organ! nation was consummated by first com munion of the new congregation eel March 19. 1840, the sacrament being administered by Rev. John Wright t the following communicants: Wm Brown, Blam r Brown, Mrs. Uargare Cummlng*. David Corblt, Elizabeth Corblt. Joseph Corblt, Buth Corblt Mrs. Aurella E. Dunn, James Harper Margaret Harper, Mrs. Nancy Matt look, Maria Aon Mattlook, Wm. Thornton. Martha Thornton, Mrs. Jane Wright, David Williamson and E. Williamson. Of the§e seventeen original members but one survives, Mrs. Maria Mattloclt Blddle. After a period of worship in the old Latin school building the congregation held services in the then Odd Fellows ba'.l on the second lloor of the WmSon Wright building on Market street, three doors west of Third street, where services were bold until the church ediflco was erected in 1842. In the early part of that year Williamson Wright, son of the Kov. John Wright, donated to the cliuruh lot (i-1 In Tlpton's second addition to Logans- poat on condition that a stone edifice should be erected thereon at a cost of not loss than $2 000 and maintained as a church. Tho necessary building was accordingly erected. Ten years later the mumborshlphad BO increased that in May, 1853, It was resolved to enlnrRO tho churjh by taking out tho south ond and adding 20 feet. The first regular pastor was Rov. James Buchanan, who followed Uov, Wright's temporary pastorate In the spring-of 18-11. and continued to sustain thdt reiatlon until the time of his death In September, 1813. From tho spring of 1844 to the fall of 18J7 Rev. Thomas Crowe wua tho pastor. For the next twelve month? Dr. Frederick T. Browr, supplied tho p ilpit and succeeding him Rev. Hugh Brown was called 10 the pastoral charge of tho church in tbo fall of 18-1K Ho remained a year. The noxt pastor was Rov. Adam Halnoa, who on Recount of bad health did not remain long. Ho was succeeded by Rev. Levi Hughes who hold tbe pastorate from 1852 to 1859. From tho time of his resigna tlon until the spring of 1861, the pulpit was temporarily supplied by Rev. H. R. Henneighand Re\ H. W. Shaw, the 'alt. r, during that period and before being principal of the High school. In the spring of 3S61 Rev. J. C. Irwin was called and continued as pastor until the summer of 1807. It was during his ministry that the •arsonago property adjoining the church was purchased, being used as such until 'our years ago when tho handeome High street parsonage was reeled. For tho noxt three years he pulpit was supplied by R'.-v. Vm. Greenough, following whom Rav. ,. M. Sahofleld was called In Jan- lary 1871. It was during Rov. Schoflold's ministry that tbe church was enlarged and remodeled In 1877. So rapidly was that work accomplished ,hbt the work begun on the 10th ol September of that year, was completed >nd services were held in the new hurch on the 2d of December of tbe ame yt ar. Re'. Sjhofleld was com polled by failing health to rethe from his arduous pastorale and he was uoceeded by Rev. Abbey who after a period as stated supply was succeeded >y Rov. Wellington E. Loucks, the >redocoasor of the present beloved lastor Rev. Douglas P. Putnam, D. D. r ho was cal ed to the charge In 1887 'astor Putnam brought with him a reputation as a church builder and has just shown- bow bo can maintain that reputation. He is a native of Licking county, 0., being born in 1844. He is a graduate o Wabash college and of the Lane Theological Seminary, 1867. His firs pastoral service was at Portsmouth ,, whence h»- went to Monroe. Mich, where ho served as pastor of the Pros byterian church for ton years, from 1871 to 1881. Ho thero built anew church and in his following pastorate o seven years at Springfield, Mo erected a new church. In 1887 h called here by the congregation of the First Presbyterian church and his relations with the church hav been of tbe most satisfactory charact er possible, In both a spirit ual and temporal way. Dur ing his pastorate the membership ha been greatly increased the churol roll row showing 433 members During his pastorate tbe congregatloi was also declared out of debt and little more than a year ago the churc was improved, an expense of $2,00 or more being .put on the interior. I was juat after these Improvement that the notable fire of January 29 last year, occurred. By thl» flre th church was ruined, tbe interior bein entirely destroyed and the walls, sav the ornate front with its prldefu steeple, damaged almost beyond re pair. Toe congregation waa nothln disbeat-tened. honever, and scaroel bad Ib'e embers of the ruins died ou until there were active preparation ! being, made for rebuilding o a .grentftr scale than ever. T that '*nd plans were Immedtatel prepared and ac -epted and the wor of reconstruction began. These plan embodied a material charge in th plan of tbe building. Including th erection of a chapel at the rear with seating capacity of more tban fi» hundred, with Sunday school rooms and full basement. Tbe auditorium was also enlarged, tb* floor raise from tbe front, that the rear seat would be higher, comfortable asiem ASSIGNEE SALE OF RESERVED STOCK. The entire reserve stock of Shoes and Rubbers, includfng spring: goods ordered before the assignment and stored on the second and; third floors of the Otto Kraus Clothing Store, making the line Agaim Complete, IS NOW ON SALE in the Shoe Store adjoining the. Clothing Store. EVERY BODY CAN BE FITTED. ' qgt, The stock is much the largest in the city and the quality and variety the best. ALL ODDS AND ENDS have been sold, leaving: best Shoes unsold. 50 CENTS Reserved Spring Negli- § ee Shirts worth $1 and 1.50. Choice of all for 50 CENTS The sale of OVERCOATS on a six month's credit at HALF FORMER PRICE) will continue until all are sold. The Hats and Furnishing Goods stock and Trunks are still complete and seasonable, being composed largely of Reserved; Stock held back in order to first close out all strictly winter goods, A. G. JENKINES, Assignee, bly chair being put in and many tm- )rovements made over the old structure. The work was rapidly lushed and last November the new ;hapel was completed and servUes legan there being continued until on Sunday when the congregation moved .nto tho new auditorium, making the event a season of groat rejoicing. Tho dedicatory services, the third since thS organization of the chur«h, were conducted before an audience which tested the capacity of. the new auditorium to its utmost, ;he aisles being filled with chairs and many being unable to gain admittance. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. George S. Burrough ?h. D., D. D., president of Wabash college and tbe masterly address was listened to with tbe closest attention. The special song service arnanged for the day was a notable feature. It was conducted by Messrs. W. T. GifTe, D. A. Stough, Chas. Martin and J. C. Bridge and Mefdames John Johnston, Uobt Humphrey, George C. Taber, E. B, McCoanell, Chas. Krois and Jessie McMillen. Dr. Burrough was assisted in the morning service by Rev. W. T. Koutz, of Cutler, wuo read the scriptural loison. the 31th Psalm: Dr. Little of Wttbash who read selections f'om Kings 1, 8. Rev. Dr. E. S, Scott of tho Broadway Presbyterian church Invoked tho divine blessing upon tho assem blage. Dr. Burroughs dedicatory sermon was from tho 10th and 17th verses of the 90lh Psalm: Lot thy work appear unto thy ser, vants, and thy glory unto their chll- dren. ' And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our bands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establlia thou The iermon was followed by brief addresses by Pastor Putnam and Dr. Little. This hour was also made S!K- nifioant by the raising by means of thanks offerings of nearly $1,000, the amount required to place the church free from debt Incurred in 1 iU-build- In tbo afternoon there was a praise R nd "congratulatory service which called out nn almost equally large audl ence. This service wns taken part in by tbo pastor, the visiting minsters and the resident clergy, all of whom offered congratulatory remarks. Loiters of congratulation were also read from former pHStora, there being responses from Dr. Hueh Brown, now of Saxe, Va,. !><•• J-C. Irwlne of Cincinnati, Rev. Scboflold. of Hammond: Rev. Loucks of Philadelphia. There were ,180 letters of congratulation from other ministers throughout the State. This afternoon meeting was one of felicitous enjoyment. In the evening an equaly large audience gathered to hear the address by Rev. Dr. Chas. Little of Wabash, which closed the services attending tho dedication day of the First Presbyterian church, a day singularly auspicious for the church; a day which mirks, as did those Sundays back in 1810, then In 1842, then in 1853, then in 1877, an epoch In tho history of the congregation of the remarkably prosperous church. Its prosperity is significant. After the clearance of a considerable debt and tbe added improvements of some thousands of dollars it meets with a stunning disaster. It is not discouraged. By active work some $10,000 is secured on subscription; tho insurance on the Old building amounted to 19,060; the Ladies Aid Society secured some $1,200. The cost of the now church is about $22,000. Of tho ?1,000 remaining unprolvdcd for all but a low dollars was raised by voluntary subscription Sunday. The church starts out again nearly free from debt and with greater hope than ever With its membership of nearly 450 souls and preserving the indomitable spirit which baa charactized ail its former acta the congregation and the pastor are to be congratulated upon th» outlook before them. The present officers of tbe church are: Elders—J. C. H»dley, Jamea W, Lee, Wm. McDonald, Dr. J. E. Ster. rltt, L. B. Stevens and Kodney Strain." Djaoons—Jan. H McMillen, D. P- Hotroff, M. M. Gordon, John J. Hildebrandt. Trustee*—9. B. Boyer, John Gray, D. A. Hauk, J. C. McColIough, L. B LOOK HERE! It you want to buy or oell a bouse ac-ii lot. If you want to buy or sell a farm, If you want to buy or sell a store, If you want to trade city property Ivr a farm, If you have any cheap htmees for «alt.. Call OD M. M. GORDON, Room No. 1 and 2 8pry Block, Lofftuport, IDC" Notice of Administration, Notice in lieiobj gtwen tb»l tbe onderelKned has. been appointed administrator of Out estate o: D. HDd W. Hauua late or can Ooootr in t&t SUtc of Indiana deceased. Tb« «eUte Is. «ur-- pON.toHe.MlWt Dykminit, Wlton * Tnbet. Attorneys for Mtmlalatrator. MarcD 12, WbH. Stevens, Job* MaeJobnrton. Building Committee—F. M. Bar- wood, Dennis Uhl, Geo. W- Seyboli- Oa« Waiun. The trustees ol the gag territory fund met at 10 a. m. Saturday aoe. elected tbe following omcers: Pr-sident—W. H.Brlngbnrst. Secretary—Dr. M. A. Jordan. Treasurer—Geo. W. Say bold. A call was issued for 50 per cent, o:* the subscriptions to be paid ..t tfesr office of the company on Fourth alruet, on or before March 13tt, 3894 In the absence of Mr. Seybold Mr. Chas. Rlnglebeo was authorized tc accept and iteoe receipt* for subscription. The special gas comniMte* will meet at tbe Mayor's office this evening it regular session. Imported dresn patterns and drws- eilks, at the Golden Role. NOW THIS IS A FACT Carl W. Keller & Co., the Merchant Tailors, lead them all in the Spring Trade. LOOK AT TflEIR PATTERNS. A sk any man in the city the way their clothes ape made to fit and then know the truth. CARL W. KELLER & CO. 811 Market St.
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month