Northwest Arkansas Times from Fayetteville, Arkansas on June 18, 1974 · Page 3
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
June 18, 1974

Northwest Arkansas Times from Fayetteville, Arkansas · Page 3

Publication:
Location:
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Tuesday, June 18, 1974
Page:
Page 3
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 3 article text (OCR)

THE WEATHER Elsewhere By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Tuesday Hi l.o Prc Otlk Weather Forecast Fair to partly cloudy weather is forecast today for most of Ihe nation. Scattered shcnvcrs arc expected fur Southern Fiorina, the Midwest and the upper Great Lakes. Continuing cooler weather is forecast for the East while warm- er weather is expected In the Southwest, the southern Plains and the Pacific Coast. (AP Wirephotn) Orientation Session Ends The third session of Freshmen Orientation on the University of Arkansas campus in Faycttcville was held Monday and today. Among the students attending werei'Dcbra Diane Pettus of Elm Springs; Greg A. Maddan of Greenland; Debra Kay Tale of Prairie Grove; Phillip Foley, Deborah Wtiiscnlnmt, Roger Whisenhimt ,and Susau 1 Russell, all of Springdale; and from Fayctteville; Michael Spencer Adams, Diana Bowman, Jerry Gene' Hall. Lew Gene Indoif, Michael Krctschmar, Marcia McNeal, Marilyn Sue Miller, Janet Lee Oliver, Larry Kenneth Perkin, I Charles E. .Smith, Mary Stephenson, Debra Lynn Stockbur- · jjer. Donna Jean Vaughn, : William Bruce Wilson, Gail Win- ningliain, Diuiny Berry, G r e g . Dumas, Mark R. Hancock, Tho' ma.s Lewis, Janet Su,e Stames Dwight Tucker, Susan I. y n n · Fedosky, Eddie Lee Woods, ' Donna Williams. Jenny Ui : Wcalherforri. V i c k i e Lynn '. Tyson, Mary Chantry SmiMi, Mary Jean McKinncy, Susan Lynn McKimmey, and F r c cl a · A. Heplcr. Schlesinger Has Reservations About U.S.-Egyptian Agreement Albany Albu'que Amarillo Anchorage Asheville Atlanta Birmingham Bismarck Boise Boston Brownsville Buffalo Charleston Charlotte Chicago Cincinnati Denver Des Moines Detroit Juluth Fairbanks Fort Worth Green Bay Helena Honolulu Eiouslon Ind'apolis Jacks'ville Juneau Kansas City f.as Vegas Little Rock Los Angeles Louisville Marquette Memphis Milwaukee Mpls-St.P. New Orleans Ne\v York Okla. City Omaha Orlando Philad'phia Phoenix Pittsburgh P'ltaml Ore. P'tland Me. Rapid City Reno Richmond St. Louis Salt Lake San Diego San Fran Seattle Spokane Tampa Washington 80 52 100 78 60 47 72 44 79 59 81 58 75 52 105 70 78 67 89 73 66 53 86 57 76 56 65 57 68 51 90 56 76 56 63 54 60 48 65 52 86 76 57 49 95 57 86 73 92 76 70 51 88 65 54 43 78 60 106 73 82 67 78 60 71 52 52 44 81 67 59 53 73 50 89 69 AHn TIMES, Tuw., Jim* It, 1974 Chance Of Showers Seen In Arkansas Today .53 cdy cdy clr cdy clr clr cdy clr cdy .02 cdy cdy .04 cdy clr clr edy cdy .01 cdy clr .09 cdy cdy M cdy .05 cdy cdy cdy cdy cdy cdy .37 rn cdy cdy .02 cdy clr cdy .03 cdy .02 rn .04 clr clr .09 rn By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Precipitation: Thirty per cent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the northern portion and a 20 per cent chance in the s o u t h e r n portion today. Chances decreasing tonight and Wednesday over the entire stale to 20 per cent or less. Rain Tall amounts generally less than one inch but locally heavier amounts up to two inches possible in thunderstorms. Drying Conditions: Relative humidities above 60 per cent today and tonight, going below 60 per cent Wednesday afternoon to a minimum of near 40 per cent. Dew points: Mostly in the 60s Tuesday, dropping into the 50s Wednesday. Dew: Moderate dew Tuesday morning, drying off by mid to late morning. Light dew Wednesday morning drying off by mid-morning. Sunshine: Twenty to 30 per cent of possible sunshine in the north portion and 60 to 70 per cent of possible in the south portion today. Sixty to 70 per cent possible for Wednesday. Winds: South to southwest eight to 16 miles an hour through Wednesday. Theft Reported Pat Springer, 219 N. Church .ve., told Fayettevill* police hat an exterior rear view lirror was stolen from her car riday night. The car was arked at her residence. BXHMT WATCH BJWAIB) . - * » ' · ' . / · .. SWIFTS KPfMtt 78 61 cdj. 81 67 .02 cdy 80 54 clr 91 72 m 51! 112 80 69 49 85 59 69 57 88 60 90 43 ' 79 51 75 56 97 67 72 61 65 56 83 56 94 61 88 76 80 60 .09 cdj clr clr .06 cd cl .25 cdy cd; cdy cl cdy cdy cl cdy cl cl cd clr WASHINGTON (AP) -- Secretary of Defense James R. Schlesinger apparently lias some reservations about ihc io\v U.S. agreement to help Egypt, build nuclear power p hints. Asked at a Monday news conference whether lie would have recommended such aid to Egypt, Schlesingcr said, "1 think that I would have pointed out the advantages or t h c disadvantages of such a course of action." S o m e Pentagon officials agreed with a rejxirter's impression that the defense secretary probably leans more against Ihe iilea (ban toward it. "1 think he would have put die cons before the pros," one official said. Schlesinger said, "We must accept the fact that normalization will imply that [be various kinds of agreements into which Ihe United States has regularly entered with a large number of governments . . - would likely be available" to Egypt or Israel. Although he included Israel in this, it appeared Schlesinger had Egypt chiefly in mind because he referred to "normali- ^alion" of relations. Tile United States has recently restored normal diplomatic relations with Egypt after a seven-year break. U.S. relations with Israel never have been ruptured. Critics in Congress questioned whether President Nixon's promise to supply nuclear materials and advice to Egypt for peaceful purposes might open (he way to Egypt's developing nuclear weapons. No such criticism has been voiced against the similar U.S. commitment to Israel, which already has two nuclear reactors. Some experts believe the Israelis could build atomic weapons now, if they wished. Schlesinger, a former chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, told newsmen the U.S. aid in developing peaceful nuclear power plants "is not wholly without risk" in cnhanc- the potential for atomic weapons. However, Schelsinger said, "I think that is a relatively slight risk, given the kinds of safeguard agreements that have been and will continue to lie written by the United Slates." Weston Trial Is Postponed CORNING. A r k . (AP) Greene County Circuit Cou Judge A. S. Harrison postponec Monday the criminal libel tria of Joseph H. Weston, 02, Cave City for three months. Weston, editor of the con troversial Sharp Citizen new paper, has pleaded innocent the charges. His attorney, Robert Clear of Little Hock, cited lack o time to prepare for the trial i his request for postponement. Pros. Ally. Gerald Pearson o Jonesboro did not oppose the motion, but chided Weston for not having obtained legal counsel until last week. Weston said he h o p e d the U.S. Supreme Court would declare the state's criminal libel law unconstitutional before the case comes to trial. The Clay County charges are in connection with allegations marie in Weston's newspaper about Clay County Sheriff Liddell Jones and his predecessor, the late Bill Pond. M A Y T A G ATTENTION 4 DAYS ONLY SAVE Save on Maytag Washers and Electric Dryers OUR BIGGEST ANNUAL SALE BRING YOUR TRUCK OR TRAILER ... BUY THEM IN A CRATE AND SAVE EVEN MORE! WHILE THEY LAST! THESE NEW APPLIANCES ARE PRICED TO SELL FAST . MAM AC, MAM AC, r , ' .v,-W»'~"~-~ ··'"^ ' _-r-- -- -- HEAVY DUTY WASHERS DRYERS TSSSS -Multi Cycle 'HwvyDuty Filter 1 Big Capacity · LOW Gentle Heat 1 Lint Filler . SpecM Fernuf 'AD FaUic Cycle Selections .Whisper Quiet M \ Y I \ ( , HEAVY DUTY DISHWASHERS Pin (fcptiKliMiry I" »«« Krtdun WOW ptfnui · Ihn rMlly Krub your tl ithn tl**n. SE L ff. LEAN I NG M ICHO MESH f JLT ERTM. mchJf'rvc lillo ||«» «n *· mull food pnI« th« Bo** t tJwdniiv PLUS MANY MOflE FEATURES IBILT INS « rOKUIUS Onif? MN · Utt HOME CENTER Open Mon. and Thurs. Nights til 8:30 BETTY CLAIRE'S 11th ANNUAL PRE-INVENTORY SALE CONTINUES THROUGH JUNE ALL SPRING AND EARLY SUMMER MERCHANDISE REDUCED 50% SPECIAL PURCHASE COUNTESS CUSTOM PANT TOPS .... Size 38-46 Reg. $12.00... JACKETS ....... Reg. $24.00 . . PANT DRESSES . Size 12!/2-24 1 /2 Reg. $32.00.. NOW $5.90 NOW $11.90 NOW $15.90 PANT SUITS .... Reg. $32.00 . . . NOW $15.90 Please No Mail or Phone Orders All Sales Final. No Refunds on Sale Merchandise. Specializing In Fashionable Sizes 12J4-26Vfr r 16-22, 38-52 Open Monday and Thursday Til 8:30 LEWIS BROS. /S CONTINUING THEIR SALE OIV FINE DREXEL UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE THRU THE END OF JUNE. YOU WILL SAVE 20% ON ALL IN STOCK PIECES AND ON ALL SPECIAL ORDERS PLACED DURING THIS PERIOD. SAVE 20% NOW THRU JUNE 30 - Open Monday and Thursday til 8:30

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page