The Daily Herald from Provo, Utah on April 11, 1975 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
April 11, 1975

The Daily Herald from Provo, Utah · Page 1

Publication:
Location:
Provo, Utah
Issue Date:
Friday, April 11, 1975
Page:
Page 1
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

INDEX Amusement* Comic* Editorial Obituaries Society Sport* Stock* 16-11 IS 17 4 15 M 14 WEATIIKR Moody rany aad warmer Satarday aad Sunday, guty canyoa winds during night aad morning boon. High* today la nM Sto and Saturday la npper Sto. Low* tonight la lower Me. Probability of rala, II per ce*t today, near Mr* tonight aad Saturday. 102NDYEAR,N0.118 PROVO, UTAH, FRIDAY. APRIL 11,1975 $3.00 PER MONTH - PRICE 10 CENTS: — i Ford Asks Nearly $1 Billion Viet Aid South Viets Reinforce Defenders of Province SAIGON (UPI) - South Vietnamese paratroopers flew waves of helicopters into besieged Xuan Loc today in a giant airlift to reinforce battle- weary defenders in the provincial capital near Saigon. The airborne troops flew four dozen choppers, including six huge CH47 Chinooks, through heavy Communist antiaircraft fire to the edge of the embattled city. On the ground, a column of rangers and militiamen inched up Highway 1 toward Xuan Loc, but ran into fierce Communist opposition 10 miles west of the embattled city. Plane Crash Radio reports from Xuan Loc said the outnumbered defenders beat back two human wave assaults, but intelligence officers said the Communists were massing for a third attack. Military sources said the fight for Xuan Loc, 38 miles northeast of Saigon, may mark the start of a full-scale Communist offensive against the South Vietnamese capital. Reporters on the front lines said the paratroopers landed on the western edge of Xuan Loc with field guns slung to the bottoms of the bigger choppers. Military officers said the paratroopers would back up American Dies In Cambodia PHNOM PENH (UPI) - The Communist offensive that has taken Khmer Rouge rebels to within four miles of Phnom Penh and only two miles from the airport claimed its first American life today. A Cambodian DC3 airliner piloted by an American crashed shortly after taking off from the airport in the midst of a barrage of 107 millimeter rockets. In addition to the American, the Taiwanese copilot and a Cambodian crew member were killed, eyewitnesses said. The American, who worked for one of the small local airlines here, was not immediately identified. He was the first U.S. citizen known to have been killed since the current insurgent offensive started last Dec. 31, although several have been wounded. It was not immediately known whether the airplane was damaged by rocket shrapnel before or during its takeoff. The plane was carrying a load of diesel fuel on a flight to a provincial capital and it burst into flames on impact with a thick column of black smoke rising into the air. One crewman aboard the plane apparently survived, reports from the scene said. The daily rocket and mortar attacks against the airport failed to halt the American airlift of rice, fuel and ammunition into the airport, but a shell that killed three cargo handlers forced a fourhour suspension of the airlift Thursday when other cargo handlers fled. The insurgents made new gains today along the crumbling defense perimeter north and northwest of the city and government counterattacks failed to relieve the situation. Near the airport that has been the capital's sole supply link for the past 70 days, the insurgents sent new troops into a penetration point about two miles from the field's perimeter and fighting continued. One other position within four miles of the airport also was lost. In political developments, well-informed sources said Prime Minister Long Boret met in Bangkok earlier this week (Continued on Page 5) Inmate At Large DRAPER, Utah (UPI) - A 34- year-old inmate, up for parole in June, was still at large today after failing to return to the Salt Lake County Probation Halfway House. Wayne N. Murray of Grantsville, had permission to leave the halfway house Thursday to look for a job but didn't return. Prison officials said Murray would have been paroled June 10. Murray, serving one-to-10 years for escape and five-to-life for robbery, had escaped from the State Prison once before. government defenders besieged by Communist tanks, artillery and infantry for the past three days. Reporters said the Communists shelled thousands of Xuan Loc refugees fleeing down French-built Highway 1 toward Saigon. One child was killed and 11 refugees wounded in an attack 12 miles from Xuan Loc. The Saigon military command reported 903 Viet Cong and North Vietnamese soldiers slain in the fighting for Xuan Loc. A spokesman said 17 government soldiers were killed and 110 wounded. South Vietnamese warplanes roared over the provinces around Xuan Loc and reported bombarding Communist armored columns, supply convoys and infantry. The military command said the fighter-bombers killed 248 Communists, destroyed five tanks and knocked out 51 trucks (Continued on Page 5) Orem Pair To Get Viet Baby An Orem couple will be among the first Utahns to benefit from the South Vietnam babylift. Mr. and Mrs. Alex Neil Wilkey, 26 W. 1600 S., Orem, were notified Tuesday they were to become the proud parents of a seven-pound boy born Jan. 17 in Vietnam. He will be named Robert Neil Wilkey. "We don't have any children, and we've just been on cloud nine since we heard the news," said Mrs. Wilkey, 32, whose husband is supervisor of student custodial workers at Brigham Young University. Working through Holt Adoption Program Inc., of Eugene, Ore., the couple were told the baby arrived in Seattle last weekend. Asked when the baby will arrive in Orem, Mrs. Wilkey said, "I have no idea. We're just waiting for word from Holt." The couple first made contact with local adoption agencies in 1972 and applied for a Vietnamese or Korean child through Holt early last year. Mrs. Wilkey said the child is reported in good health at a Seattle foster home. Two young brothers destined for a Salt Lake City family died in last week's crash of a military transport plane shortly after takeoff in Saigon. If Needed PRESIDENT GERALD R. FORD calls for an end to the applause at the Capitol in Washington so that he may start his State of the World address to a joint session of Congress. Behind Ford are Vice President Nelson Rockefeller and Speaker of the House Carl Albert. (UPI Telephoto) Energy Bill Gets Senate Approval WASHINGTON (UPI) - The Senate has approved overwhelmingly an energy- saving and emergency powers bill that goes so far beyond what President Ford wants he may veto it. Capitol Hill sources said whether Ford threatens a veto depends on what comes out of the House, where similar legislation is still in committee. Ford wants higher prices to discourage use of energy. Not only does the bill bar his taking off oil price controls without congressional approval, it also pushes prices of domestic oil back to the Jan. 31 level. Ford wants to encourage Americans to save energy. Not only does the bill set a firm 4 per cent saving goal, it also requires the federal government to set standards on energy use for the states to administer. Ford wants the power to ration gasoline and other fuels if there is an emergency such as a new Arab oil embargo. The bill gives him that power, but requires him to submit any plan to Congress first. The bill could lead to state programs restricting energy use, in ways ranging from enforcing the 55 mile-an-hour speed limit, to setting hours of operation of businesses using energy to saying how much Christmas decorative lighting can be used. Senators defeated attempts to phase out the controls on prices of domestic oil, going further by passing an amendment by Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio. The amendment called for a rollback of prices of thus-far uncontrolled domestic oil to its Jan. 31 level. That would erase any matching in domestic oil prices of the $1 a barrel by which imported oil rose as a result of Ford's higher tariff Feb. 1. Ford's chief lieutenant in the Senate on the bill, Sen. Paul Fannin, R-Ariz., said the mandatory conservation provisions belie the title of the bill: Standby Energy Authorities Act. "This isn't standby authority," (Continued on Page 5) Egypt Envoy Plans Trip To Moscow By United Press International Egyptian Foreign Minister Ismail Fahmi will go to Moscow April 19 for Middle East policy coordination talks with Soviet leaders, government sources in Cairo said today. Israel's army chief of staff, meanwhile, said in Tel Aviv his forces have had trouble getting arms from the United States, but predicted American military support will continue as long as Moscow backs the Arabs. President's Speech At a Glance WASHINGTON (UPI) President Ford's State of the World speech at a glance: —Aid: Asked Congress for $722 million in military aid and $250 million in economic and humanitrian aid for South Vietnam by April 19. No aid request for Cambodia, where Ford said it may be too late to help. —Evacuation: Asked Congress to authorize him to use U.S. military forces if necessary to evacuate Americans and South Vietnamese refugees from Southeast Asia. Officials said up to 200,000 refugees might be involved. —Peace: Called on Hanoi to halt military operations and on other signatories to the Paris peace accords to use their influence to stop the fighting. —Allies: He plans a series of meetings with Asian allies and will attend a European summit to stress that U.S. commitments are solid. Asks Congress to restore military aid to Turkey. —Communist powers: Warns Communist nations U.S. desire for peace does not give them "a license to fish in troubled waters." He plans a visit to China. He asks Congress to repeal restrictions on Soviet trade tied to emigration. Hopes for final U.S.-Soviet nuclear arms agreement. -Middle East: The United States will continue its peacemaking efforts. City Sets Meeting With Governor On Purchase of State-Owned Lands THIS IS THE FIRST tree to be planted in front of the Prpvo City Center, shown in background, in the Center Street improvement project. Each tree weighs between four and five tons including roots and dirt. City officials expect the planting effort to be complete by the first of the week. (Herald Photo by Dan Croft). A meeting has been set for Tuesday with the governor to discuss the sale of state- owned land north of the state hospital to Provo. Commissioner M, Wayne Hillier has been invited to make the presentation to the governor and other state officials. Commissioner Hillier said the governor is the final hurdle in getting state approval of the land sal, hinting that he believes other state officials will agree to the city's proposal. The city is proposing that the land be sold for about $686,000. Thus far, an appraisal of the property has valued the land at $1 million if it all were to be used for housing. The presentation will include an outline of the city's contention that it would not use all of the land for housing but instead would use a large part for roads, open space, park or golf course facilities, and an industrial park as well as for the base facilities for the Four Seasons Project. The city commissioner plans to argue that the state budget will benefit from the ski project's revenues and therefore a price break in the cost of the land is justified. Seeks Approval On Troop Use For Evacuation By HELEN THOMAS DPI White House Reporter WASHINGTON (UPI) President Ford has asked Congress for nearly $1 billion in aid for South Vietnam and permission to use U.S. military forces if necessary to evacuate Americans and tens of thousands of South Vietnamese refugees. Ford's Thursday night State of the World message met immediate and stiff opposition among many congressmen. Administration officials said contingency plans are being prepared for possible evacuation of up to 6,000 Americans and 200,000 South Vietnamese refugees, should Saigon fall. Ford made no new aid request for Cambodia, saying it "may be soon too late" to prevent its falling to the Communists. Officials said evacuation of some Americans from South Contingency Evacuation Plan Made WASHINGTON (UPI) - The United States is making contingency plans to evacuate 6,000 Americans and 150,000 to 200,000 refugees from South Vietnam, according to administration officials. President Ford asked Congress in his foreign policy address Thursday night for authority to use U.S. military forces if necessary for such an evacuation. He asked Congress for an exception to its 1973 ban on U.S. combat activities in Indochina for this limited purpose. Ford said tens of thousands of South Vietnamese employees of American agencies and businesses are in "grave peril" from advancing Communists. He said the United States has "a profound moral obligation" to tens of thousands more South Vietnamese who supported the Saigon government and its alliance with the United States. Gam Reacts To Address WASHINGTON, D.C. Senator E.J. "Jake" Garn, R-Utah, released this statement today concerning President Gerald Ford's speech to the nation on television last night. "I am very impressed with the over-all speech. I am glad to see a President who will finally lay it on the line and tell the Congress and the American people what he really thinks without weighing every word as to its political popularity. "Unfortunately, though, he will probably not be listened to by this highly partisan Congress. As far as Vietnam is concerned, I cannot in good conscience support the President's request for $722 million for aid to Vietnam. I would support the $300 million in aid he asked for in January plus the humanitarian aid that he requested. "However, I don't think it is possible to separate humanitarian and military aid. If South Vietnam collapses in the next two \yeeks how will the humanitarian aid be administered? "We must have a measure of military aid to effect the safe and orderly withdrawal of Americans and South Vietnamese who want to leave. But militarily North Vietnam holds all the cards." Vietnam has already begun. Democratic congressional leaders were stunned by the size of Ford's aid request — which included $722 million in military assistance and $250 in economic and humanitarian aid for Saigon. "I can't conceive of this Congress voting $722 million in military aid for South Vietnam," said House Democratic leader Thomas P. O'Neill. "There would have to be a complete turnaround in the opinion of the American public -as I read it talking with members when they came back from the Easter recess —to support such aid." Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman John McClellan, D-Ark., said of the chances of congressional passage of the military aid: "I doubt it very much." Sen. Henry M. Jackson, D- Wash., said: "It'sdead." Senate GOP leader Hugh Scott supported Ford, but his only prediction was: "I hope he gets what he says is needed." Ford asked Congress to act by April 19, just over a week, much faster than Congress usually moves unless it is virtually united on an issue. "A vast human tragedy has befallen our friends in Vietnam and Cambodia," Ford said. He said he must consider the safety of some 6,000 Americans who remain in South Vietnam "and tens of thousands of South Vietnamese employees of the United States Government, of news agencies, of contractors and businesses for many years whose lives, with their dependents, are in grave peril." He said there are "tens of thousands of other South Vietnamese intellectuals, professors and teachers, editors and opinion-leaders who have supported the South Vietnamese cause and the alliance with the United States, to whom we have a profound moral obligation." The $722 million military aid figure was more than double the $300 million request he made before the recent Communist gains in South Vietnam, and on which Congress has never acted. The new figure was the sum recommended by Army Chief of Staff Frederick C. Weyand, whom Ford sent to Saigon to on a fact-finding mission. The speech was Ford's first public report on his foreign policy throughout the world, and he discussed several groups of countries: ' -To allies, he said, "We will stand by our friends." He will attend a summit conference of European leaders in May or (Continued on Page 5) Early Public Reaction 'About 50-50' WASHINGTON (UPI) - The White House reported today initial public reaction to President Ford's world affairs speech appeared to be running "about 50-50." A presidential spokesman said between 1,500 and 2,000 telephone calls were received at the White House switchboard within two hours after Ford* finished delivering his address Thursday night to a joint session of Congress. The spokesman said the calls seemed roughly evenly divided between supporters and critics of the speech. The spokesman said a batch of telegrams also began to arrive soon after Ford completed the televised address, but that no count was available yqt.

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page