Page 14 article text (OCR)
tlUetin SOCIETY and WOMEN'S NEWS SECTION TWO Auiuft % im Society, pages 2, S Cook of the Week, page 8 Child Care, |Nige 4 Home Decorating, page « AmttiMMiitl^ ptfM 11^ 11 St Waru'. SlLr year at 3XJC jPmvideA golden ^l)a^d for Clampers Some 80 girls, ranging in age from 6 through 12 years, are attending St. Mary's Camp at JeKoven Foundatiop for Church Worlt. This is the silver anniversary year forthe camp, which was established as the first major project of the Sisters of St. Mary when the Episcopal order purchased the historic buildings and spacious grounds just before they were to go under the sheriff's auction hammer. This year marks also the 100th anniversary of the arrival of Dr. James DeKoven in this city to take charge of the old Racine College. The occasion will be marked at special services in October. The immense trees that once looked down on such college students as Gen. Mark Clark and Billy Mitchell now survey such activities as ballet classes, creative dramatics, badminton, archery, swimming and crafts. The old iron dinner bell, shaped like a triangle and struck like one, calls the girls to meals as it did the college boys of a century ago. Appetites haven't changed much, either; the girls can empty milk pitchers quite as fast as their predecessors, and only careful shopping (and kindness on the part of many tradespeople) enable the Sisters of St. Mary to keep within the budget permitted by the camp's modest fees. The summer camping period begins the first Monday In July and runs for six weeks. Girls may enroll for the entire period, or for two-week periods within that time. The camp is affiliated with the American Camping Assn. Campers are not restricted to girls of the Episcopalian faith. A number of non-Christian denominations are represented there at the present time. In addition to the professional staff, which Includes a registered nurse-ln-residence, Miss Norma Kubash of Chicago, and a Red Cross swimming Instructor, Miss Katherine Brown, R.N., there are eight senior co^inselors >and 16 junior counselors, insuring a chain of instruction and supervision for each individual camper. The camp's program would be Impossible, says Sister Mary Hilary, C.S.M., if it were not for the interest taken in it by friends who contribute not only material things, but time and professional talents. Professional instructors, she points out, receive only a part of what they might receive in other positions. Last year a group of Wilmette mothers, whose daughters have attended the camp for several seasons, clubbed together to provide funds for the purchase of new bedding. Other mothers have added to the camp's wardrobe, by contributing discarded frocks for use as costumes for plays, or for creative dramatics. (The wicked stepmother in this year's "Cinderella" wore a stunning black mesaline and lace gown, vintage of 1913.) The Sisters of the Community of St. Mary, first American Foundation in the Anglican Church, have their western province mother house at Kemper Hall, Kenosha. It is there that novices enter their two and a half year training period, before they are professed as full members of the community. When they don the black habit and white wimple of the professed, they take their life vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. The Sisters recite the full Benedictine divine office daily, regardless of the press of work or the demands on time. To celebrate their 2Sth year at DeKoven, they arranged a reunion of campers and "old girls" recently, at which the Bishop of Milwaukee, the Rt. Rev. Donald H. V. Hallock celebrated the Solemn Mass. LEFT, Sister Vlasta Mari, C.S.M., Vickie Wirt of Chicago (seated) and Betsy Bar- theil of Wilmette with the camp mascots, Roger and Reneo Raccoon. Sister, who teaches science at Kemper Hall during the winter, became "foster mother" to the infant racoons when students brought them back from a bicycle trip. She raised them with the aid of a doll's nurs- Ing bottle. oven ABOVE, Mrs. J. N. Pederson, 1684 College Ave., directs the camp Mlet classes. She Is kneeling, left, with Martha Hendrickson, 1611 Oak Lawn Dr., youngest member of the class. Others are (front row, from left rear) Judy Fowler, Wll- mette; Susan Lawrence, Mln* neapolis; Nancy Arnold, Glenvlew; Peggy Griffith, Wilmette; Cynthia Mandsley, Aurora; Susan Kade, Wildwood, III.; and lull Douglass, Hammond, Ind. Second row, same order: Marjorie Longnecker, Kenllworth; Patricia Greene, Chicago; Elka Su- panc, Skokle; Lee Hayes, Glenvlew; Pamela Fowler, Wilmette; Betty Goold, Downer's Grove; and Linda Verges, Wilmette. Judy Fowler assists Mrs. Pederson, has younger twin sistere attending camp. LEFT, Cynthia Rappa, SS8I N. Main St., directs the camp drama classes. Costumed for "Cinderella" are. from left, • Shayn Waddell, Chicago* stepmother; Sherry Head* rickson, 1611 Oak Lawn Dr,, page; Kathle Mackie. Madison, the Prince Charming; Miss Rapps; and Carol Lonergan, Chicago, as Cinderella. LEFT, crafts students are ocupied with sculpture and mosaics. Seated, front, are Diana Verges, Wilmette, left, and Ericka Williamson, Chicago. Others, from left. Penny Fowler, Wilmette; Susan Treadwell, Wilmette; and Susan Sumner of Mllford, III. Penny and Ericka are third-year campers. RIGHT, badminton goes on almost around the clock at the camp, according to Sister Mary Hilary, C.S.M. pictured here with Priscilla Wood of Wauwatosa, left, and Marie Perez of Chicago. Sister teaches English and American history at Kemper.