Arizona Republic from Phoenix, Arizona on August 15, 1970 · Page 53
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

Arizona Republic from Phoenix, Arizona · Page 53

Phoenix, Arizona
Issue Date:
Saturday, August 15, 1970
Page 53
Start Free Trial

Page 53 article text (OCR)

. -. _ Republic Ptiet» by Joon wiuard Mayor Driggs surveys his office strewn with materials used in remodeling 1( Driggs' office remodeled at city expense of $11,500 Mayor John Driggs' office is being remodeled at a cost of" $11,500 as part of a $26,000 remodeling of the ninth floor of city hall, officials said yesterday. Most of the remodeling was nece? s ary because of the reorganization of the city manager's office as suggested by management consultants last year, Selden Kent, deputy city manager for management services, said. "All the drapes on the floor are being replacetd, since they are 7 years old and completely worn out," Kent said. "The carpeting is also 7 years old and will be replaced on the entire floor at a cost of $14,123." He said some of the carpet may be reused elsewhere. ' Kent said changes in the mayor's office include addition of a built-in bookcase to provide more storage space for his secretary, replacement of wood panels in Driggs' office, opening a new door to his office from the manager's office, changes in fights and ceilings and modification of the public entrance to the office. • The wood panels are faded and discolored where ; former Mayor Milt Graham hung his plaques and trophies, officials said. Briggs said that changing the entrance into his office and altering the placement of his desk will enable him to get rid of one of Graham's innovations, a three-sided wooden screen that blocked the door to the mayor's office to prevent visitors from seeing the mayor. "We want to do away with this somewhat unique modesty shield," Driggs said. "This awkward shield was necessary because of the placement of the entrance." The screen, Driggs said, often made it necessary for the mayor and visitors to squirm through the side openings to get into the office. And the placement of office furniture forced the mayor to dodge chairs on the way to his desk, he said. Once, former City Manager Charles Esser knocked the screen down. The next day, the supports to the screen were strengthened. Except for the carpeting, work on the mayor's office will be completed in a week. The remodeled office will have the mayor's desk on the east side of the office, facing north, Driggs said. Chairs will be arranged on the north side of the room for guests. "The design element of the remodeling is simple, yet tastefully done/' Driggs commented. "And it will provide a much more suitable room arrange* He said all members of the City Conn.-, cil approved the changes and costs. "The costs are certainly reasonable and the staff has done a good job holding them down," he said. Most items were under competitive bidding, he said. Wives of Reynolds employes say air there perils husbands By ALBERT J. SITTER Republic Labor Writer Twenty-four employes of the maintenance department at the Reynolds Metals Co. plant at 3501 E. Van Buren have suffered heart attacks during the last five years, one victim's wife alleged yesterday. The allegation was made by Mrs. Raymond Hyde, 5527 W. Verde Lane, at a meeting attended by the wives of 14 em- ployes who expressed concern over reports of heavily polluted air and other threats to their husbands' health at the plant. Plant officials responded that the plant is one of the most healthful of its type in the country. They denied any connection between conditions at the plant and the heart attacks alleged by the workers' wives. Tentative plans of the group include a "wives' march" outside the gates of the half-mile-long plant. First, however, they plan to meet with officials of Reynolds Local 3937 of the United Steelworkers of America, AFL-CIO, and to make a personal inspection inside the plant. Mrs. Hyde said her husband, who is 43, was felled by a heart attack while at work June 20. He subsequently has spent much time in a hospital and is due to return there for tests next week, she said. Hyde himself attributes his malady to the "fumes and gases in that plant." "Fumes from five or six furnaces," he maintained, "pour right out into the plant. There's no stack on them. If you had 1,000 dogs instead of men in that plant, the Humane Society would have it closed down today." Mrs. Hyde said the small attendance of wives at the meeting may have been affected by a letter distributed to em- ployes at the plant the niglil before. The letter, written over the signature of plant manager George C. Monie, contended among other things that the absenteeism rate among employes is a low 2 per cent and that the air inside the huge plant is completely changed every five minutes. Monie contended that the plant, from a health standpoint, is one of the safest in the nation. The recent death of an employe in the inspection department was erroneously attributed to a heart attack, Monie said. Actually, he said, the man died of "hardening of the arteries." The wives appeared disinclined to believe Monie's statements, preferring instead to rely on accounts of plant conditions relayed to them by their husbands. Some of the women declined to be identified publicly, saying they feared their husbands may be intimidated as a result of their statements. Robert W. Gamm of Los Angeles, the firm's regional public relations manager, told The Arizona Republic that the complaints appear to eminate from a small minority of employes and from wives who are completely unfamiliar with the plant. Gamm also pointed out that such a subject is more properly a case for the plant's union grievance procedure. Inmate stabbing probed by prison FLORENCE — Arizona State Prison authorities and Pinal County investigators were sifting information yesterday in the stabbing of a prison inmate inside a cell block about 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Warden Frank Eyman said the victim, Hector Honne, 25, suffered two knife wounds below the left breast and was taken to Pinal General Hospital where his condition yesterday was described as .satisfactory. .c \"A ii:>- - <>• i ' . .jiii,Mit v an'] The warden said the incident occurred as inmates were being returned from the prison dining room to their cells in Cell Block 4 within the main wall of the prison. A bloodstained knife believed used in the stabbing was found in a trash barrel, he said. No charges have been filed, pending completion of the inquiry. Hofilil: i l.'ti-'M-d tlk; jyliMJil JUH<- 2? THE ARIZONA REPUBLIC Saturday, August 15,1970 0 Page 27 Whafs happening Where are we going? No one really knows By PAUL SCHATT For those who try to understand the main currents of society, these are troubled times indeed. The youth culture seems to be running off in two directions, neither of them seeming to offer any improvement. The elders seem more interested in hard-line stopgap measures rather than in solving any I problems. i * "Nobody has the answers. Playboy M a g a- zine even conducted a poll which in&* u eluded, among acnan grasps for straws, an investigation of whether sexual relations have any influence on one's politics. (Result: Inconclusive, but those who engaged in such activities were slightly more likely to be left-wingers.) And Esquire, which is Playboy without the girls, devoted its college issue to investigating the places students could go this year, assuming they've given up on the universities. (Some prisons offer great educational opportunities, they said, to those who fear they may get busted.) An apt description of what the modern age is like: "... A world of discontinuity, a world marked by the collapse of traditional beliefs, uncertainty about eternal salvation, widespread pessimism and intense violence. Psychological refuge was sought by many in mystical cults, while individual behavior was dichotomized, ranging from emphasis on the saintly to indulgence in depravity and cruelty. Shifts from one extreme to the other were common, as men desperately sought social anchorage in absorbing commitment." The quotation is from Johan Huizinga writing of the collapse of the Middle Ages. Zbigniew Brzezinski, who refers to the parallel with today's society, asserts the cultural chaos of today is the fragmentation coincident with America passing from the industrial age into the post industrial or "technetronic" era, in which technology and electronics provide the medium for change. "The attraction that a segment of the younger generation in the more developed world now feels toward poetry, lyricism, and emotion — and their contempt for reason and intellectual concepts — may be indicative not so much of one tradition replacing another but rather of a clash between emotion and necessity," Brzezinski says. "On the one hand are the feelings and attitudes prompted by the breakdown of institutionalized beliefs and intensified by the new modes of communication," he adds. , "On the other hand is the tedious necessity to master by intensive conceptualization th# techniques of computers, mathematics, systems control and the like, on which the resolution of many contemporary, social problems depends." Brzezinski's interesting discussion is part of his new book, "Between Two Ages," the scope of which is considerably broader than these short quotations. Today's column does lead us somewhere, nevertheless. For next week you are going to read the views of a mail who thinks he has (he answers to what's Ex-Marine testifies Duran offered $300 to kill Tindle By GRANT E. SMITH A former Marine testified yesterday that Patrick Bruce Duran offered him $300 to kill S. Sgt. Daniel Tindle and gave him ft. $1TO down payment for the job. Robert Edward Padersen told U.S. District Court jurors of a series of meetings with Duran during the summer of 1968 during which plans also were made for the murder. Tindle, a criminal investigation agent, was found shot to death on fhe porch of his quarters at the Yuma Marine Air Station Aug. 29, 1968. Duran is on trial for first-degree murder. Padersen, who also was stationed at Yuma, said he was introduced to Duran by a Sgt. John Hazel. Under cross-examination by defense attorney John J. Flynn, he admitted he and Hazel conspired to take a .357 magnum pistol that belonged to Duran. Padersen said in subsequent conversations with Duran that Duran often expressed anger with Tindle. "He related to me he would like to have Sgt. Tindle murdered," Padersen said. "He believed he had been misjudged and he had been done wrong by Sgt. Tindle. "He told me Sgt. Tindle had found marijuana in his automobile and that Sgt. Tindle conned or coerced him into showing where two other packages of marijuana were buried." Tindle was investigating the drug traffic on the station. As a result of Tindle's Patrick Duran findings, Duran, who had been scheduled for discharge from the Marine Corps in May 1968, was placed oh a legal hold by the corps pending the outcome of the investigation. Three or four weeks before Tindle was found dead, Padersen said, "Cpl. Duran told me he had put a price on Sgt. Tindle's head of $300. He said he would like to have me do it for him and he would pay me. I didn't say very much." Two or three weeks before the shooting, Padersen said, "Cpl. Duran offered to pay $300 to kill Sgt. Tindle. He offered $100 before and $200 afterwards. I told him I would accept this. He paid $100 to me the following pay day." Under questioning by Flynn, Padersen said he had discussed the offer with Hazel and Hazel had suggested he take the money and play Duran along. Some of. Paetersen's testimony came after he was asked by Deputy U.S. Attorney Morton Silver to read a transcript of his testimony before a federal grand jury. Padersen admitted he had agreed to testify only after being granted immunity from prosecution. Of the plans, Padersen said, "We discussed how the individual who did this should wear military clothes over civilian clothes and he should wear tennis shoes." He said the military clothes could be discarded quickly and then the person would appear to be jogging. Padersen said it was planned that the person should call Tindle, pose as an informer and tell him someone was burying a stash of drugs to get him out of the house. Then, he said, the person would wait .inside the gate at Tindle's quarters for him to return. Padersen said he also suggested to Duran that a Mexican be hired to do the \ Continued on Page 39 Couldn't have made calls: Hodge By GENE LUPTAK A Mesa educator accused of making obscene phone calls testified yesterday he could not have made the calls because he was busy at work when the calls were made. And, said James L. Hodge, director of teachers for Mesa; Public Schools, he spent the day with his family and playing golf when an alleged attempt to extort money Jrom a,, w o mla tr "over the • telephone was made. Hedi£sayhe tried to call ar woman, who v .festi- Bodge tied she had received annoying, but not obscene, phone calls between May 30 and June 5. But, Hodge said, his efforts to reach -the woman by phone were unsuccessful and were connected with school business. Hodge's wife and three of his four children sat siilently in the courtroom while the educator testified for about two hours before Superior Court Judge W. E. Patterson and a six-man, six- woman jury. Hodge, 39, of 511 E. Seventh Place, Mesa, referred to his daily work calendar in an attempt to show he was working at the times the obscene calls were supposed to have been made May 22 and May 25. Hodge said he played golf in the morning and was home with his family the rest ; of the day on Good Friday, March 27, when the extortion phone call allegedly was made. Hodge denied making any annoying calls to Mrs. Eva Abramson, 21, formerly of 4602 N. Black Canyon Highway from May 30 to June 5, although he said he interviewed the woman for a teaching position May 29. Hodge said he attempted to contact her by phone "two or three" times a few days after he interviewed her concerning her application but that no one answered or the phone connection to her home was dead. : Mrs. Abramson testified Thursday that for six days after she met Hodge she received annoying telephone calls of "laughter and breathing," but that they were not obscene. Hodge also is accused of making other calls to Mrs. Judy Hulse, 2905 W. Terrace Road, and to Mrs. Patricia Walton, 2514 Los Felix Drive, both in Tempe. Mrs. Hulse has testified Hodge's voice is "definitely" the voice of her caller. Specifically, Hodge is being tried on three counts of illegal use of the telephone and one count of using the telephone with intent to extort money. Thursday, Phoenix Police Detective Bob Turcott said he followed Hodge for eight days and he repeatedly used different routes between his home and office. Hodge testified yesterday that his licuse is situated in a network of spider-web streets and it is difficult for him to drive directly to work. He said he also takes -different routes when he drives one of his children to school. Hodge said he could not explain many ^ of the calls a telephone company env ploye earlier testified were made from his homer A recording device was placed- on Hodge's phone for several days recording the numbers but not any of the conversations dialed. r One of the' calls, according to the recording device, was made from Hodge's 'home to Mrs. Walton's home. Hodge said from 50 to 100 persons "had access to his home" during the period the calls were made. Hodge testified that five days after he was arrested he became so tense and upset his doctor advised him to go to a psychiatrist. Dr. John Jarvis, a Mesa psychiatrist, testified that Hodge is "a very logical, deliberate and methodical person." Bombings of 4 business places Death of teen appear unrelated, police say laid to pill bag Bombings at four Valley businesses do not appear connected, police investigators told The Arizona Republic yesterday. The latest bombing occurred early Thursday morning at the Valley National Bank branch at 19th Street and McDowell. Chemical tests turned up traces of nitroglycerin the explosion area beneath the drive-in teller's window on the west side of the building, detectives said. Officers are seeking two young men seen leaving the area following the explosion in a late model blue Volkswagen sedan. Other Explosions: — Tuesday, a blast did extensive damage to Crazy Ed's Restaurant, 1926 W. Deer Valley Road. Sheriff's detectives , said several sticks of dynamite had been taped to an exterior wall and detonated. —• July 30, a hand grenade simulator exploded in an artificial flower display in the Grant's department store at 16th Street and Southern. Though the store was open, no one was injured in the blast, — Six persons suffered minor in juries July. 29 when two pipe bombs were thrown into the Clown's Den tavern at the Arizona Manor Hotel, |S90 E. Camelback. Damage to the interior of the bar was repaired in a few days, detectives said. "Rather than indicating any connection between the bombings," said Sgt. Jim Folds of the Phoenix Police Department, "all the evidence we have at this time leads us to believe that these bombings are not related." Different types of explosives were used in each bombing, Folds said, and each incident seems to involve different motives. "We're still looking into several different possibilities in the Clown's Den bombing," he said. Investigators said that blast appeared to be the only one where people might have been the bomberte actual target. The area where the grenade simulator was thrown in the Grant's store was free of shoppers. Grant's is embroiled in a dispute with minority group organizations over hiring practices, but police said there is no evidence to link the organizations with the bombing. "The bank and Crazy Ed's were just senseless," said one investigator. "If they'd really been trying to do some bad property damage they could have pitched the bombs through a window, but instead they set them off outside where they did minimal damage. Also, both places were closed and the bomb-' ings took place, late at night." .Property damage in the bombings, was not extensive and, except for the minor injuries suffered at the Clown's Den, no one has been injured. Police and sheriff's detectives said they have no suspects and they have yet to determine any motives. A Phoenix teen-ager who died during a police narcotics raid Thursday night choked to death on a plastic bag of yellow capsules, according to a report filed with police, yesterday by the county medical examiner. Narcotics officers said William James Woods, 17, put the bag in his mouth while they were searching the home of Mr. and Mrs. Haskin Carter Lautzenheiser, 2928 W. Orangewood. Woods had been living with the Lautzenheisers police said. Wood! Officers had a search warrant to seek dangerous drugs at the home. Several of the officers in the bouse grabbed Woods, after he put the bag in his mouth, but they were unable to get it, detectives said. Woods began choking. The officers attempted to retrieve the bag from his throat, whi}e others called for an ambulance and th6 fire department, '"',..• "', "Woody «irt friend and Mrs. tauten- heiser told us that the officers did everything they could to save the boy's life," Sgt. Sam Howe said. "One of them even gave Woods mouth - to • mouth resusci- Contiaued on Page 31 ROCK COLLECT^ CHARE MOWN? *.-..- /;..vfU ;»*,.?• & ' ».. f:

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page