Fayette County Leader from Fayette, Iowa on September 13, 1961 · Page 15
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
September 13, 1961

Fayette County Leader from Fayette, Iowa · Page 15

Publication:
Location:
Fayette, Iowa
Issue Date:
Wednesday, September 13, 1961
Page:
Page 15
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 15 article text (OCR)

DR. EUGENE GARBEE, president of the University, is shown at left here with Miss Helen Tuttle, dean of women, and Wilson C. Gill, dean of men. The ihres administrators are also members of the University Executive Commitiee, which handles student disciplinary problems. All three make time available to students for guidance, counselling, end discussion of personal problems. ^ College bell plays important role for Students and Fayette townspeople The college bell, which rings to mark the change of classes each day. is also used to mark University victories, and to herald great events in Upper Iowa's history. It was purchased for S452.00 and installed in Alexander Hall over 100 years ago — October, 1857! Since that time — for near- Jean Heidrick to teach Women's phys. ed. here Miss Joan E. Heidrick of York, Nebr.. has been added to the faculty of Upper Iowa university as a full time instructor in women's physical education. Miss j'^i/nek r^r€ : "ed her bachelor of arts degree from Westmar college in 1956 and her master of arts degree in physical education from Co'crado State university in Greeley in 1960. She taught in the Lake Mills schccl system for one and one- half years before joining the faculty of Westmar college in LeMars in 1957. Miss Heidrick plans an increased emphasis in women's physical education and intramural sports. She will also serve as faculty sponsor H:r the cheer leaders. WA.A. and Peaketts Drill Team. •j- 104 years — that same bell has called the students to classes, rung out the good news of victory for all to hear, and has marked the departure of Upper Iowa students who have marched off the campus in five wars. The bell has played an important rcle in the lives of the townspeople of Fayette, as well as U.I.U. students. Its mellow tones awaken memories in the heart of every alumnus. Pranksters have, from time to time, swiped the clapper — but with a new one in place the bell has continued its faithful telling, marking the hours through the PL -..ng decade". Until January. 1960. the bell was rung manually by a student hired for the purpose. A long pull rope, protected by a wooden covering, still hangs suspended in the hallway of Alexander Hall. The bel! is now operated electrically through a se: of controls in the registrar's office. FAYETTE HISTORY (Continued from Page 9) forts of Reverend L. S. Ashbaugh, and Reverend H. S. Bronson, the enterprise was put in motion. The contract for building was let in 1855 and completed in 1856. At the time of or- ganization 1855, Rev. H. S. Bronson was president of the board of trustees; H. W. Reed, secretary; and (James E. Robertson, treasurer. It was placed under the jurisdiction and patronage of the Upper Iowa conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was originally a seminary, but in the fall of 1857, changed to a university. It is nearly out of debt, and very popular as an educational institution both for its cheapness and thoroughness in tuition and training. Newspapers The Fayette News is the only paper here. It came into the possession of the present prop- ietors. Burch and Scoby, August 5. 1874, and was first issued by them as an eight column sheet. September 23 following, it was enlarged to a nine column journal, and so continued. It is Republican in politiics, has a circulation of 500 copies. Churches The first religious organization formed" here was by the Methodists at the house of James E. Robertson, in December, 1849, under the influence of Rev. John Hindman. The membership numbered five souls. Meetings were held at Mr. Robertson's house, and at the schoolhouse until the University was completed, since which time they have been held in the chapel. The first pastor was Rev. John Hindman, the present is Rev. S. W. Ingham. The first Congregational church of Fayette was organized Dec. 1, 1855, at the house of N. N. Sykes, with a membership of six persons. Services were held for a time at the place of organization, and afterwards at the stone school r.cuse, both outside of Fayette and for the first tune in the village at the old log school house in 1858. Oct. 9, 1870 their present church building was dedicated. It ccst $2.500. Present membership 59. First pastor, Rev. S. D. Helms. Present pastor. Rev. W. S. Potwin. The Episcopalian society was organized April 9. 1864, under the name of St. Paul's Parish. Their present building was completed in 1870, at a cost of about S2.500. The bell was a present from Jay Cooke. of Philadelphia. First rector. Rev. J. Rambo. Catholic — The Catholics have an organization but no church structure in town, but are accommodated about four miles out. Shipments — 1874 Wheat, 79,900; oats 41,480; barley 2,800; live hogs, 1,155; dressed hogs, 5 car loads; shelled corn, 10,080; sheep 2,500; ether live stock 17 car loads. Incorporation Under general law, Fayette was incorporated as a town in 1874, and elected the following officers: Mayor, Charles Hoyt; recorder, C. W. Sperry. Board of Trustees: G. F. Lyman, E. R. W. Emmons, Elijah E. Gregory, A. Fussel, and R. Gaynor. H. Barnes was app3uit- ed Marshal. College Edition 11 Wednesday, September 13, 1981 Fayelle Leader Fayette,- Iowa Officers for 1875: Mayor, Charles Hoyt; recorder, C. W. Sperry; Marshal, O. Crisley. Board of Trustees: G. F. Lyman, J. E. Robertson, C. E. Hulbert, R. Hunt, W. A. Hoyt. Fayette has a private banking establishment, conducted by Sperry and Davis. It was established in 1872, by D. C. and C. W. Sperry In 1873, Mr. D. C. Sper- rv died, but the business was continued by C. W. Sperry, until January, 1875. when he sold a one-half interest to his present partner. STUDENTS COME IN AND GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT CERTIFICATE WE'RE THE STUDENTS' HEADOUARTERS For SCHOOL SUPPLIES GIFTS GREETING CARDS DRUG SUNDRIES COSMETICS BRACH CANDIES TOYS Lewis Variety Bob & Virginia Lewis mCOME BACK STUDENTS and FACULTY To The New Student* Who Are Just Beginning Your College Career, We Hope Fayette and Upper Iowa Measure Up To Your Expectations. To The Returning Students, We're Happy To Have You Back In Our Midst Again. JOYCE LUMBER COMPANY Fayette, Iowa COMPLETE Bridal Service FASHIONAIRE BRIDAL HOUSE ' Oelwein, Iowa Phone 182 or Dial 283-4246 Welcome... A Special Invitation. To All College Students Anc Faculty Members To Visit Our Showroom FRIGIDAIRE APPLIANCES LIVING ROOM SUITES BED ROOM SUITES LAMPS END TABLES Mdeese - Leytze FURNITURE and APPLIANCE Phone 160 Fayette, Iowa

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page