Fayette County Leader from Fayette, Iowa on September 13, 1961 · Page 11
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
September 13, 1961

Fayette County Leader from Fayette, Iowa · Page 11

Publication:
Location:
Fayette, Iowa
Issue Date:
Wednesday, September 13, 1961
Page:
Page 11
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 11 article text (OCR)

Earlyfhistqryjof the Town 151 Fayette the St. Paul's Episcopal church in 1864, though there were i?. >! church societies organized long before. The first Sabbath school had James E. Robertson as superintendent. The first school house was built in 1E52, and the Editor's note: The following history of Fayette was evidently written in about the year' 1875. We thought it might be interesting to our readers. Excerpt from State of Iowa Illustrated Historical Atlas, 1875, published by the Andreas Atlas company, Lakeside building, Chicago, 111. "For the materials of the General History, the State Library -was made available to our historians through the courtesy of Governor Carpenter; W. H. Fleming, Esq., Private Secretary to the Governor; Hon. Josiah T. Young, Secretary of State; and the State Librarian, Mrs. Ada North, to whom our acknowledgments are justly due. We are also indebted to the "Annals of Iowa", and to several well informed citizens, who have contributed valuable historical 'and biographical articles to that work, as Judge Negus, of Fairfield, in his "Early History of Iowa"; Prof. Parvin, of Iowa City, and others. We also acknowledge assistance rendered us by Col. A. P. Wood and C. C. Child, Esq., of Dubuque; Hoyt Sherman, Esq., and Mills and Co., of Des Moines; and many others, whose aid in procuring historical details of many localities and of the Press, Biographies, and the Military Record of Iowa during the Rebellion, have been invaluable. The Historical Atlas of Iowa is the largest publication ever issued in one edition absorbing 122 tons of supersized and calen- dered paper, and requiring the services of 300 men for an average of one year and a quarter. Fayelte The town is well situated on a plat of ground nearly a mile square: bounded on the north and west by well-timbered bluffs which serve to protect and guard it from the severe winds that sometimes, particularly in winter, sweep over the more exposed regions of northern Iowa. It is well laid out. the streets following very nearly the cardinal points" of "the compass. Main, the principal business street of the town, runs north and south. In railway connections it is supplied by" the Davenport and St. Paul railroad, of which it is the present northern terminus. It is thus placed in direct communication with 11 eastern markets. The surrounding country is beautiful in landscape and surface, and productive in soil, as the large shipping statistics to eastern markets elsewhere appearing will show. The Volga river winds its way through the edge of the town, and is a stream affording good water-power at various points. Early Settlement In 1846 a man named Mullican made a claim here. In 1849 Robert Alexander bought it of him and sold it to Samuel H. Robertson and James E. Robertson, and on the land owned by Samuel H. Robertson, the village was originally platted in 1856. In 1850 a settlement was made about a mile distant, at what was known as Westfield;'and in 1851 it was platted by Robert Alexander. He built a saw mill in Westfield in 1850. The town did not thrive, however. By reason of its central location and expectations of the county seat, Fayette grew rapidly for the first few years. In the year 1856, H. B. Budlong was appointed postmaster at Fayette, but the name remained Westfield. Great jealousy existed between Westfield and Fayette, the former being envious of its strong rival which gave rise to considerable strife for the post office. It was moved back and forth several times, until Mr. Derby was appointed at Fayette, in 1857, when further contests were given over by Westfield. The first store started at Westfield was in 1851 by Newton Axtell. and the first postmaster was H. N. Sutt<™. The first store at Fayette was built by J. H. Maxon and J. A. Griffith in 1856. On the original plat, Samuel H. Robertson built the first frame house in 1852, yet one year earlier a frame house was built by James E. Robertson, and is a part of the house in which he at present resides. The first hotel, the present Fayette House, was built by a stock company of SI00 each: prior to this the house of Samuel H. Robertson was used as a hotel. In 1854 the first grist mill was built by Isaac and Leroy Templeton. at Westfield. The first newspaper at Fayette was the Fayette Journal, a Republican sheet, with a Mr. Cook as editor. The first church edifice was built by firs^ teacher was Louisa Newcomb. Among those that attended then as pupils who are yet living at or near Fayette, were Emaline Hulbert, nee Alexander, Caroline, Julia, and Eva Robertson and James Osbome. Indian Scare In the year 1847, the people of this, then sparsely settled country, were greatly excited and alarmed by the murder of an Indian trader named Teegardner. Teegardner, a rather desperate character, had a quantity of whiskey which the Indians wished to use too freely and he refused; a quarrel ensued in which he was killed, and his body and building destroyed by fire. The intelligence of this affray was conveyed to a neighbor by his daughter, about 10 years of age, who escaped during the disturbance. The settlers feared a general massacre, but no further demonstrations were made, and the affair was soon forgotten. It happened about a mile and a half from Fayette. Upper Iowa University The educational wants of the community are supplied by the well conducted institution above named. The University building is handsomely located on prominent ground above the town; and is an imposing stone edifice three stories high, and cost, when material and labor College Edition 9 Wednesday, September 13. 1961 Fayette Leader Fayette, Iowa were much cheaper than now. $32,000. It is said that the institution was first suggested by Mrs. Robert Alexander, and the suggestion finding much favor with Robert Alexander, her husband, -he subscribed land to the value of 85,000. Samuel H. Robertson subscribed a, similar amount, and James E. Robertson about $1,500. Through the indefatigable ef- (Continued on Page 11) I i P:iul Rose. y.?n of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Rose of Springville, has been' added to the University staff as an admissions counsellor. He will work under the supervision of Braulic Caballero, director of admissions. Rose will receive his bachelor's degree from U.I.U. this school year, with a major in business administration and a 'minor in speech. It's Good To See You Back Students & Faculty Be Sure To Stop In Soon And Renew Old Acquaintencea. AND NEW STUDENTS... We Are Looking Forward To Meeting You — And Will Be More Than Happy To Be Of Service To You. E. H. CARLEY PLUMBING AND HEATING Phone 77 — Fayette, Iowa EARL SCHNEIDER Insurance Agency WttCOME BACK STUDENTS AND FACULTY LAUNDRY WASH — 20c DRY — lOc DO ALL YOUR ^=1 WASH HERE - IT'S A BREEZE If you can drop a coin in a slot and pour soap into a machine . . . you will find washing here a breeze — because, that's all there is to it! We've plenty of washers and driers, loo, so come on in today. Fayette Speed Wash East State Street — Fayette, Iowa NANCY'S OF WEST UNION Welcome The Students and Faculty Members Back For Another Year At UPPER IOWA UNIVERSITY REMEMBER US ... For Your Clothing Needs Co-Ordinated Sportswear Skirts & Sweaters Slacks & Jackets Costume Jewelry Hand Bags and Accessories "Fabrics and Styles by Makers You Know*' at NANCY'S Of West Union

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page