The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on November 1, 1966 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 1

Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, November 1, 1966
Page 1
Start Free Trial

The "FIRST-OF-THE-WEEK" Tabloid QTfje gUgotra Upper £e* fttoincs VOL. 101 NO. 83 tSTAUISHED 1165 ^Mr^^ TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 1966 - 16 po 8 t» tabloid Shooting Fray On Rural Road 1 DEAD, 2 WODNDED HERE Del Clopton Succumbs To Long Illness Del Clopton, 64, well-known retired Algona 'business man, succumbed following a lengthy illness at St. Ann hospital here Friday morning. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 p.m. in the Presbyterian church with Rev. Walter Morz officiating and burial following at Eastlawn Memorial Gardens here. McCullough Funeral Chapel was in charge of arrangements. Delmer G. Clopton, son of William 'and Rebecca Clopton, was born at Jefferson, Iowa, Nov. 24, 1901. He was married to Ann Dreesman of Algona at Waterloo, Sept. 27,1924, where both were at that time employed by Blacks Dept. Store. Thirty years ago Mr. and Mrs. Clopton moved to Algona, where Mr. Clopton established a tailoring business over what is today Kirk's Shoe Store. Later he became a partner in the Modern Dry Cleaners & Tailors with Harry Holmes, and after the death of the latter, a partner with Tom Holmes. When the latter moved away he became sole owner of the Modern, which he and his wife operated until late last year. In recent years he submitted to surgery a number of times in combating cancer of the stomach, each time recuperating and returning to his business until last year when he leased the business to his longtime friend and employe^, Kink Willey. Probably no man in Algona underwent more surgery and battled for recovery with an iron resolve than did Del Clopton. Knowing his own problem, he stoically returned to his business after recuperating from each operation, which had been conducted during his absences by his wife. Not until September in 1965 did his condidtion make him finally decide that it was time to cease fulltime work at the plant, and even then he returned to handle the tailoring and alterations needed in the business. In earlier days he was active in affairs of the local Presbyterian church, am. served in several official capacities. He had also been a member of the Masonic Lodge. Besides his wife, he is survived by a sister, Mrs. Martha Cox, Jefferson, Three sisters and three brothers preceded him in death. Pallbearers were FredGeigel, Paul James, Richard Burt, Andrew Crawford, Keith. Chrisitie and Leon Martin. Tavern Argument Leads To Gun Fight Saturday One man is dead, another is near death, and a third is reported as having a chance to survive, after a quarrel that started in a local tavern and wound up in a shooting fray on a county road 2 1/2 miles northeast of Algona late Saturday afternoon. DEAD is Harley Alvin Scott,. 40, tree trimmer who had been living in the Britt area for about two months. He originally came from Des Moines. WOUNDED were Earl Eller, 32, Algona, now in the Veterans Hospital, Des Moines, and reported as having a good chance of recovery; and Kenneth Edgar Elwood, 39, living recently in a farm house south of Hutchins, hospitalized at Iowa City and reported in a very serious condition. Elwood's home was Jonesboro, Ark. Eller received three shots from a 32 calibre automatic in the stomach. Elwood is reported as having received a bullet in the head and also in the left shoulder. Dennis Eller, 34, the fourth man involved and a brother of Earl, was not shot, but did exhibit bruises which he said resulted from being struck with a piece of chain during the fatal incident. Scott was dead when officers arrived. He had been employed by Elwood. No charges have been filed in ths affair at this time, and Dennis Eller was released after questioning by'Kossuth county authorities. County authorities were continuing the investigation Monday morning, and two State Fureau of Criminal Investigation men were in Algona Sunday. Thus far the only available information as to what happened on the county road came from talks with Dennis Eller, and briefly with Earl Eller before he was moved by ambulance from St. Ann hospital to the Veterans Hospital in Des Moines, Saturday night. Sheriff Lindhorst and County Attorney Gordon Winkel talked to both meii. All four men were in the Colony Inn, in Algona, prior to the John Hammer Passes Here Jol.n E. Hammer, 73, retired area farmer, died Sunday morning at St. Ann hospital. Funeral services will be held in St. Cecelia's Catholic church Wednesday at 10:30 a.m., with burial to follow at Calvary cemetery here. Hamilton Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. There will be military graveside rites. He was born at St. Benedict, the son of Edward and Theresa Steil Hammer, June 4, 1893 and was married to Mary Manthei at St. Joe Sept. 29, 1933. She survives. He was a member of the American Legion and VFW and served during World War I. Other survivors include a daughter, Delores, and two sons, Donald and Edwin, Algona; two sisters, Laura (Mrs. Balk), Henderson, Minn., and Frances (Mrs. A. Holtzbauer), Algona; a brother, Victor, LeSeuer, Minn.; and 10 grandchildren, A brother preceded him in death. Joseph Miller Of Wesley Is Heart Victim WESLEY - Joseph Miller, 64; died at his rural home Thursday morning of a heart attack. He was born Feb. 21, 1902 to Nicholas and Ann Benfeldt Miller at Dana, HI. He was married to Gladine Gaudy Dec, 29, 1925 in St, Joseph's Catholic church -at Wesley. ' Survivors include his widow; two daughters, Mrs. David (Laura) Klein and Mrs. Maurice (Virginia) Krebsbach; three sons, Paul, in the Navy serving in Viet Nam, Harlan and James at home; also one sister, Mrs. Clarence (Lizzie) Dornbier'of Wesley; and seven grandchildren. Mr, Miller was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers and five sisters. The Blake Funeral Home is in charge of funeral arrangements. Funeral services will be Wednesday at 10 a. m. at St, Joseph's church, delayed awaiting word on arrival of his son, Paul, from Viet Nam. Honor Or, Hoffman Fourteen dentists will represent Iowa at the 107th annual session of the American Dental Association, being held Nov. 14-17 in Dallas. One of the alternate delegates will be Dr. Karl R. Hoffman, Algona. shooting. Some argument developed between the Ellers and the other men who operated under the name of Eddy's Tree Service. Just how they happened to go out into the country isn't clear, but the two Ellers took Earl's car and the other two men took their pickup truck, and they wound up on a gravel road with no farmhouses close, in Plum Creek twp., about 2 1/2 miles from Algona. . Officials are making no positive statements as to just what happened in the next few minutes. Rural Road Death Scene But shortly after 5 p. m. Mr. and Mrs. Al Hinckley of Burt came driving along the road, saw the men's pickup truck, noted one man lying in a ditch and another alongside the pickup in a pool of blood. The Hinckleys had gone over the road about 1'5 minutes earlier enroute to the Ted Hoover farm, without seeing anyone, so the entire shooting seems to have taken place in a span of fifteen minutes. They drove to the Johnson farm on highway 169 and called Algona police, who in turn notified the office of Sheriff Ralph Lindhorst. Sheriff Lindhorst, State Highway Patrolman Charles Bird and Algona Police Officer Richard Groen went to the scene. Neither of the Ellers was at the scene. Dennis had driven his brother, Earl, to St. Ann hospital fjr emergency medical attention. Dr. R. D. Brainerd, assistant county coroner, and Bill Easier, county conservation officer, were called to the scene, the former to make the necessary verification of death and the second to check the matter of use of firearms. Later the body of Scott was taken to the Boughton Funeral Home at Britt, and Elwood by ambulance to St. Ann hospital, and then transferred to Iowa City. Both Scott and Elwood were married. Authorities ventured no statement thus far a a to the orupi events after the four men met at their rendezvous wim death on a rural road. They did say that the automatic pistol belonged to Scott. Mrs. Dorothy Fairbanks, who with her husband Luther, operates the Colony Inn, said that prior to the shooting incident the two men from Britt came in the tavern. One sat in a booth, and the second talked to her husband. While they were thus RRiaered, the two Filer,* also entered the place an^ nr.r O f had a few -,ords with the man sitting in the booth, and a blow was struck. The Ellers left, but about a half hour later came back into the Colony-Inn, and Earl walked back to the man in the booth, said a few words, and then again left. The two men from Britt shortly afterward remarked that they had better be getting back to Britt, Mrs. Fairbanks said, and they also left. She knew nothing further of the trouble until informed of the shooting about an hour later. Sue did not overhear any of the conversation that took place in the booth. Earl Eller, who is single, is a construction worker with Merryman Construction Co. Dennis who is married, is a truck driver. For the last two weeks, police said, Scott had been working for Ellwood doing tree clearing and salvage work in the Belmond tornado area. S^ott, his wife Verneita, and 11 children moved to Britt from Des Moines Sept. 1. They had lived in Des Moines for six years. He was the father of 1 child, 4 by a previous marriage and 6 stepchildren. Also surviving are his father; several brothers and sisters. Scott was with the U. S. Coast Guard in World War II. Services for Scott will beatl:30p.m. Wednesday at the Boughton Funeral Home in Britt.

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free