Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois on June 15, 1963 · Page 6
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version
June 15, 1963

Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois · Page 6

Publication:
Location:
Alton, Illinois
Issue Date:
Saturday, June 15, 1963
Page:
Page 6
Cancel
Start Free Trial

Page 6 article text (OCR)

PAGE SIX ALTON EVENING TELEGRAPH SATURDAY, JUNE 15, 1963 Marriage Vows Exchanged This Weekend Van Biireii'Corrigan Crossed "words lielH by Nnval Arndorny cln.«sm;ites of tlir- liridrgroom formod mi honnv puard after thr woddinr: of Kn- siKii Robrrt L. V;m Huron and Miss Janire Cnrripan nt 11 .'i.m. fndny in St. Ronvird's C.itholic Church. Wood River. The bride is the daughter of Mr. nnd Mrs. Oarlrs Coiriijan, (i17 Maurice St.. Wood River. Mi-, nnd Mrs. Paul •!• Van Btiren of 727 Brown St., are parents of the brideeroom. Following the nuptial Mass, breakfast was served in the Key Club of. Lewis and Clark Restaurant, where the couple is receiving friends until 5 p.m. Miss Mary 'Knye Van Burnn. sister of the bridegroom, was maid of honor. The bridesmaids were Miss Jeanne Corrigan, the bride's sister: and her cousins. Miss Sandra Lauirh- lin of Wood River, nnd Miss Monica Render of Cnseyville. 111. Edward J. Wilkinson Jr. of Mansfield. Ohio was best man. The bridccroom's brothers and the bride's- cousin were groomsmen. They were John Lawrence and Kenneth A. Van Bnreiv. and Richard Corrigan. Knsien David T. Byrnes of Alton was a member of the honor guard. Alencon lace motifs accented the "A" skirt of llu bride's poau de <oie gown which terminated in a chapel train. Her English illusion veil was held in place by a pearl and crystal crown. She held a cascade bouquet of stephanotis and ivy with a white orchid. Tli maids' lemon colored dac- ron organza gowns were fashioned with dome skirts and back hows, and their headpieces were Swedish hairbraid flowers with satin leaves. White daisy pompons and iv.\ were in their cascade bouquets. The couple will live on Elm- woorl Road in Annapolis on their return from a honeymoon. Moore- Jacobson Miss Carole Frances Jacobson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marry E. Jacobson of J4 Hrb- ner Dr., was married at. 2:30 p.m. to Bruce A. .Moore in Upper Alton Baptist, Church before the Rev. Robert Cochran. The couple is receiving this afternoon in the church parlors. Serving as the bride's attendants were Mrs. Lewis C. Kenyon, the former Mora Beneze of Alton; Mrs. Thomas Richardson (nee Donna Rosenberg) of St. Louis; and Miss Nancy Van Horn of Jackson Center. Ohio, the bride's roommate at Ohio State University. Jonathan L. Moore of Nor- •vvalk, Ohio, attended his brother as best man. They are sons of Mrs. Bruce A. Moore Sr. of Norwalk and the late Mr. Moore. Groomsmen were Lee Jacobson of Osawatomie, Kan., brother of. the bride, and James Mueller of Highland, brother-in-law of the bridegroom The Rev. Frank P. Johnson of Columbus, Ohio was vocalist for the ceremony, and the organist was Mrs. Frank Bonnell. Miss Jacobson wore a gown of silk organza and Alencon lace over taffeta. The bell- shaped skirt fell into a chapel length train, and fabric loops and sashes, accented with a silk rose, marked the back waistline. The bride's silk illusion veil was attached to a crown of seed pearls, and she carried cascading white roses, lily of the valley and step- hantois centered with an orchid. Cherry pink organza over taffeta fashioned the ballerina length gowns worn by the bride's attendants. Their skirts were belled and their pill box hats matched their dresses. The young women carried ci'escent cascade arrangements of pink carnations tipped with white. The newlyweds will live in Columbus, Ohio, where the bridegroom is a senior at Ohio State University. He is studying for a bachelor of science degree in corrections and rehabilitation, in the field of criminology. He albo attended Denison University in Granville, Ohio. The bride is a 1957 graduate of Alton High School and attended Southern Illinois University for a year. She received a bachelor of science degree in nursing from Ohio State, and is employed on the faculty of St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing, St. Anthony's Hospital in Columbus. Staples-Hair The wedding of Miss Jo Ann Hair and Melvin E. Staples Jr., took place at 7:30 p.m. Friday evening in First Baptist. Church. The Rev. Orrin Anderson officiated at the ceremony, and the couple received friends afterwards in Turnbull Hall at the church. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and .Mrs. D. L. Hair, 5166 Humbert Road. Mr. and Mrs. Melvin E. Staples of 1012 E. 7th St., are parents of the bridegroom. Attendants for the bride were Miss Jill Doerr, maid of honor; and Miss Debbie Hair, who was her sister's bridesmaid. Roger McCartney served as best man, and George Hair, brother of the bride, was groomsman. Mrs. Dale Fjer- stad played wedding music. A satin panel and Chantilly lace gores were features of the bride's gown, styled on princess lines. A pearl and crystal crown secured her fingertip veil. She carried a cascade of red roses. Mint green and lemon yellow gowns and petal hats were worn by the maids whose flowers were salmon-colored carnations. The gowns were made of cotton satin with silk organza overskirts. The bride is a 1963 graduate of Alton High School. Mr. Staples, a 1959 graduate of Martjuette High School; is a senior student at Southern Illinois University and is an employe of Shell Oil Co. The couple will honeymoon in St. Louis, and will live at 1206 Garden St. Pichee-Garrett St. Mary's Catholic Church was the scene of the wedding at 9 a.m. today of Miss Vaneta Jo Garrett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dencie B. Garrett of Bethalto, and William Ervin Pichee. Mr. and Mrs. Ervin L. Pichee of 2314 Fairview Drive are parents of the bridegroom. The Rev. T. W. Worland officiated. The bride's parents were host to a wedding brcuklnst in their home. The newlywed couple will receive their friends at 7 p.m. in the Veterans' Memorial Center. The bridegroom's sister, Mrs. Jack O. Eubanks, was WORD-A-DAY By BACH 'AL L TH i PRESIDCNT '& SOU \ 15 WIND THE OFFICE CLOCK- eveKY ) EIGHT PAYSffj " mw — sinecure A PAID POSITION WHICH INVOU/E6 Ft W OR NO DUTIEd> matron of honor. Another sister, Mrs. Jack M. Roberts, and Mrs. Donald L. Green served as bridesmaids. Robert Pichee was his brother's host man. Norman Howell and John Schildioth were groomsmen. Mrs. Robert Piehec sang, and Max Hiendl- rnayr was organist. The full skirt of the bride's embroidered nylon organza gown featured a poinled apron effect and tiers at the back cascaded in to a chapel train. A Cleopatra crown was attached to her silk illusion veil. She held a bouquet of cymbidiums, .stephanotis and ivy. The women attendants wore lilae colored nylon sheath dresses with detachable overskirts. Their matching bow clip headpieces were veiled, and (heir bouquets contained lilac daisies, and ivy in three graduated circles. The former Miss Garrett, a lOGU giaduate of Civic Memorial High School, is employed in the office of Dr. Kdgur N. Davison, DDS. Mrs. Pichee, a 1958 Marquette High School alumnus, is employed by Witt- nuin Bros. Mobil Service. The couple will honeymoon in the Ozarks ureu, and will live at the Pichee residence. After Church—Be Our Ciuest e I'KICE CJOM'KK and DON UTS Sunday Morning ZIKE PHARMACY 027 E. Airline Drive ROSEWOOD HEIGHTS Dial CL »-2263 MRS. VAN BUKKN Norman- Bimslager Miss Judy Kay Bimslager, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Bimslager of Golden Eagle, became the bride of Richard A. Norman this morning in St. Mary's Catholic Church in Brussels. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Norman, 2728 Viewland Ave. The Rev. Joseph Enright said the nuptial Mass. A wedding breakfast was served in the Bimslager home, and the couple is receiving friends until 4 p.m. in the American Legion home in Brussels. A dance will be given in the Legion home tonight. Mrs. Harold M. Hill, the bridegroom's sister, was matron of honor, and Miss Barbara Flanagan was bridesmaid. Harold Hill served as best man, and the bride's brother, Larry Bimslager, was groomsman. Silk roses were used to trim the skirt of the bride's floor length gown of organza over taffeta, and were also used on the headpiece which secured her illusion veil. Her bouquet contained carnations, yellow roses and stephanotis. Mrs. Hill and Miss Flanigan wore blue organza and taffeta gowns with back bows, and carried white carnations witht blue and yellow accents. The bride is a 1961 alumna of Brussels Community High School, and was graduated as a practical nurse in 1963 from F. W. Olin Vocational School. She is employed by St. Anthony's Hospital. Mr. Norman is employed by the Alton Evening Telegraph in its composing room. He is a 1956 graduate of Alton High School, and a member of the Army Reserve, Wood River- Armory. The couple will honeymoon in Missouri. Berrey And Bass Miss Carol Elizabeth Bass, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell T. Bass of Kampsville, was married at 2 p.m. today to Kenneth Wayne Berrey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew K. Berrey of Batch town. The Rev. Paul Schroeder officiated at the ceremony in St. John's Lutheran Church at Kampsville. The couple received friends in the church social room, and dinner will be served this evening in the home of the bride's parents. The newlyweds will entertain tonight in the Batchtown Town Hull. The bride was attended by Miss Nancy Lammy, maid of honor; and Miss Karon Wyatt, bridesmaid, both of Kampsville. The bridegroom's cousin, Arthur Schult/, served as best man ,and John Siemer was groomsman. Jerry Jones of South Roxana sang, and Nina Freesmoyer of Kampsville was organist. Five tiers of lace were used to decorate the satin skirt of the bride's gown which terminated in a train. A pearl and crystal crown secured her fingertip veil, and she carried a white orchid on a Bible. The women attendants wore yellow chiffon dresses with cummerbunds and lace jackets. They wore petal headbands, and carried white carnations tipped with blue. The bride is a 1962 gi-aduate of Calhoun High School. Her husband, a 1960 graduate of Hardin High School, is employed by Owens-Illinois. The couple will live in Hardin. MRS. MOORE iMRS. PICHEE MKS. STAPLES MRS. MULLEN MRS. RINTOUL MRS. SCHBFFEL GRAVEMANN EVERY TUESDAY IS CHILDREN'S DAY IN OUR STUDIO W®$B®SS&»i»^ The Family Scheffel-Wheaton MRS. NORMAN MRS. COTTINGHAM Rintoul-Stupperich Donald W. Rintoul and his bride, the former Miss Gloria Stupperich plan to honeymoon in the Eastern states and Canada. The couple was married at 10 a.m. today in Cherry Street Baptist Church. The Rev. Freeman Prlvett performed the marriage ceremony, which was followed by a reception in the church: The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Archie Stupper- ich, 3106 Alby St. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Victor Rintoul of Godfrey. Miss Beverly Fawcett of St. Louis was maid of honor, and bridesmaids were the Misses Joan Robinson and Phyllis Darr. The bridegroom's attendants were Dick Rintoul, best man; and Jim Weinman and Dick Watsek, groomsmen. Miss Phyllis Cooper was the soloist for the wedding, and Mrs. Evelyn Clayton was organist. Swiss lace was used to trim the bride's peau de soie gown which was fashioned with a cathedral train. The lace was also used in the crown which held her tulle veil. Her bouquet, carried on a Bible, contained a white orchid, white roses and lilies of the valley. Her attendants wore dresses of silk organza with lace trim, and carried roses. Miss Fawcett's dress was pink, and the maids' were blue and green. The former Miss Stupperich received a bachelor of music degree from Washington University in 1961, and has taught in the Roxana School System for the past two years. She operates the Glorioso Music Studio for piano, organ and voice. Mr. Rintoul also attended the university as a student in its school of engineering. He is an employe of Shell Oil Co. in its engineering research department. The couple has a new home at 1957 Brown St. Married in Shipman at 2 p.m. today were Miss Sandra Mae Kahl and Lyle Richard CoUingham. The ceremony took place in Zion Lutheran Church. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Kahl of Shipman. The bride's parents are Mr. and Mrs. George Kahl of Shipman. The bridegroom's parents are Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Cottingham of Plainview. Miss Kahl was attended by Miss Paula Taylor of Shipman and Miss Jean Kahl, her cousin. Mr. Cottingham's attendants were Gerald Kahl of Shipman, best man; and Howard Behl of Plainview. Dale Maxwell sang, and Mrs. Mary Lou Thomae was organist. The bride appeared in a floor length gown of tulle and Chantilly lace with back skirt tiers, and an illusion veil with a pearl sequin headpiece. Her bouquet contained white roses and carnations. The women attendants wore drosses of chiffon over taffeta in shades of orchid and powder blue. Their hats were made of matching material, and their bouquets were carnations, tinted in the same shades. Mr. Cottingham is engaged Cottingham-Kahl with his father in farming. His bride is employed by Owens- Illinois. Move to Michigan Mr. and Mrs. William D. Rose of 2906 Utah Place left Friday to make their home in Charlotte, Mich. Mr. Rose has been transferred to Charlotte by Owens-Illinois, which is building a new plant there. Mrs. Rose has resigned her position at Alton Banking & Trust Co., and will be employed as a secretary in the new offices. The couple has been honored at brunch and dinner parties given by many friends since the latter part of May when they learned of their transfer. Senior Citizens New members were received Thursday evening by the CUr- ran Homes Senior Citizens during a meeting in the project's recreation center. Those who joined were Mrs. Lena Holliday, Mrs. Mary Lewis and Hugh Jones. Mrs. Julia Gilbert was hostess chairman, and Mrs. Hugh Jones led devotions. A committee was selected to make by-laws. The group will moot next in the center at 6 p.m. on June 27. MRS. BERREY Mullen- Lavelle Married at 11 a.m. today In Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, Bethalto, were Miss Ruth Ann Lavelle and John B. Mullen, son of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Mullen, 2219 State St. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Francis J. Lavelle, Fosterburg Road, and the late Mr. Lavelle. The Rev. Thomas Manning officiated at the Mass, and servers were Dave Fitzgerald and the bridegroom's brother, Tom Mullen, both seminarians for the priesthood. A reception is being given until 4 p.m. in the Knights of Columbus hall. Mrs. William Horn served as matron of honor. Mrs. L. Randolph Burns and the bridegroom's sister, Miss Sheila Mullen, were bridesmaids. Michael L. Mullen was his brother's best man. Groomsmen were the bride's brother. Don Lavelle; arid Don Schwaab. Max Syfert sang, and the organist was Miss Cindy Kasten. The bride, escorted to the altar by her brother, Jerry Francis Lavelle, wore a bouquet taffeta gown with Alen- con lace appliques; and a detachable chapel train. A pearl and sequin crown held her ballerina veil, and her cascade bouquet contained white Fuji mums with an orchid corsage. The turquoise silk linen sheath dresses worn by the women attendants were fashioned with pleated overskirts. Clusters of roses with maline veiling formed their headpieces, and turquoise pompons were in their bouquets. The bride is a 1957 graduate of Marquette High School, and a 1961 graduate of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. She is a teacher at Roxana Senior High School. Mr. Mullen, a 1954 graduate of Marquette High School, attended Qulncy College. He is employed by American Investment Corp., Clayton, In Its Installment sales department. The couple will honeymoon in the northern states, and will live at 319 N. Central St., Roxana. Nuptial vows were exchanger by Miss Julia Anne Wheaton of Fieldon and Sp./4 Donald L. Scheffel of Brighton this morning at St. Mary's Church, Westwoods. The Rev. Leonard Rathgeb officiated at the 10 a.m. service and celebrated the Mass. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Wheaton and the groom's parents are Mr. and Mrs. George H. Scheffel. A reception followed in the church social rooms, and a dinner was served members of the bridal party and immediate families at 5:30 p.m. at the home of the bride's parents. Mrs. Dewain Devening of Hardin was matron of honor for her sister, and Mrs. Paul Wheaton of Jerseyville, sister- in-law of the bride, was bridesmaid. Dewain Devening was best man for Mr. Scheffel and Marvin Fry was groomsman. Mus- ic was furnished by the choir of St. Mary's Church with Mrs. Francis Allen as soloist. The bride's gown of Chantilly lace had a bouffant skirt, worn over layers; of crinoline, cascading into a full sweep train. A pearlized crown of orange blossoms held her finger-tip illusion veil, and she carried a cascade bouquet of pom-pons and stephanotis, centered with a white orchid. The attendants' dresses of mint green were designed with long full skirts. Matching headpieces of gathered tulle and net had tiny veils, and their flowers were cascades of light green and white pompons with ivy. The couple will reside at Fort Hood, Tex. where the groom is stationed with the Army. Both are 1960 graduates of the Jersey Community High School. Until recently the bride was employed as secretary by the Baughman Mfg. Company In Jerseyville. Lewis-Williams , Receiving friends until 7 p.m. today in East Alton Community Center are Andy Lee Lewis and his bride, the former Miss Patricia Ann Williams. The couple were married at 10 a.m. in St. Bernard's Catholic Church, Wood River, by the Rev. Robert Rebert. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George V. Williams of 529 Park Lane, Wood River, who were host to a wedding breakfast following the ceremony. The bridegroom's parents are Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Lewis of Meadowbrook. Sisters of the bride were her maid of honor and bridesmaids. They are the Misses Sandra Lee and Sherin Williams. Ronney Retzer served as best man. The bridegroom's uncle, Leonard Cato, was groomsman. Ruth Blackwood provided wedding music. The bride wore a floor length gown of white organza, •fashioned with a cathedral train. Her illusion veil cascaded from a circlet of fabric leaves, and her flowers were white carnations. The maids wore gowns of pink and of yellow lace over satin, and circlet headpieces of lilies of the valley. They carried carnations in the same colors. The bride is a I960 graduate of the East Alton-Wood River Community High School, and is employed by by Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp. Mr. Lewis attended Civic Memorial High School. He is an employe of Hotel and Restaurant Meat Supply. After a honeymoon trip, the couple will live In Meadowbrook. MRS. RAINES Raines-Leigh Married in Salt Lake City, Utah, at 10:30 a.m. nuptial Mass today were Miss Linda Leigh and Cpl. Gerald D. Raines, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Raines, 220 Thomas St., Roxana. The couple was married in St. Patrick's Church, and a wedding breakfast was served in the Capri Restaurant. Mr. and Mrs. Fennley S. Leigh, parents of the bride, will give a garden reception this evening at their Salt Lake City home. Miss Jo Ann Raines, sister of the bridegroom, was a bridesmaid in the wedding party. The bride wore a gown of de- lustered satin and French lace with a Japanese obi sash. A pearl crown held her illusion veil, and she carried an orchid surrounded by carnations and rosebuds. The women attendants wore pastel dresses and accessories, and carried white carnations with pink roses. Cpl Raines, a 1960 graduate of Roxana Community High School is stationed at the Maine Supply Center, Barstow, Calif. The bridegroom's parents will give a reception for the couple from 2 until 5 p.m. on June 23 in their home on Thomas street. Lodges Glaeser-Meng St. Matthew's Catholic Church was the scene of the wedding at 10 a.m. today of Miss Mary Meng, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Meng, 1719 Worden Ave., and Charles Glaeser. Mr. and Mrs. Paul Glaeser of 1409 Spauld- Ing St. are the bridegroom's parents, The couple received friends from 1 until 3 p.m. In the Onlzed Club. The bride appeared In a dress of embroidered nylon over satin, with a Spanish mantilla. Her flowers were stephanotis centered with a white orchid. Her attendant, Miss Kay Simon, wore a blue organdy gown, and carried blue carnations. Mrs. Clare Pettenglll played organ music. The couple will live at 731 Elfgen St. Royal Neighbors of America, Camp 500, will meet Tuesday in Veterans' Memorial Center. A sack lunch will be eaten at noon, and business session will follow. Mr Holtsworth Charles Holtsworth, who hag been a patient in Main Street Nursing home has entered the Greenlawn Nursing Home In Jerseyville. Father's Day Sun., June 16th — Dine Out! RESTAURANT 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday Adults $1.86 Children (under 1%) $1.35 Wide Variety ol Foods Prepared by Our New Chef, Mr. Louis Oehler (formerly ol Holiday Inn) Breakfast 6:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Smorgasbord 11:00 a.m.-5 p.m. Dinner Menu at all times U. S. Alt. 67—East Alton Across from Eastgate Plaza Shopping Center KNOW WHERE your money goes! Keep a record of what you spend and where you spend it ... . with the convenience of a thrifty Wedge Checking Account. ALTON BANKING & TRUST CO. NOW! LOCAL SERVICE ON TEMPO-TRONIC ELECTRONIC CUT STENCILS For A. B. Dick, Geitetner, Roneo, Gena, Speed-o-Prlnt, Machines. Perfect Stonclls Made from any drawn or printed copy or paste-up. £• Each OFFICE MACHINES EXCHANGE 2900 E. Broadway HO 2-8442

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page