Page 1 article text (OCR)
r... Stennis Remains Serious WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. John C. Stennis, shot twice in a holdup, remained in very serious condition today, but a hospital spokesman said the 71- year-old chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee was helped by his general good health. Police and FBI agents, meanwhile, checked police files and visited several high schools in an effort to learn the identity of two teen-agers who are believed responsible for shooting Stennis outside his northwest Washington home Tuesday night. Stennis underwent 6V2 hours of surgery for the wounds—one in the thigh and one which entered the chest and passed through the stomach and the pancreas. He has been fed intravenously and received multiple blood transfusions. The spokesman at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Maj. Gen. Frank Garland, said Stennis' condition was "still very serious and the prognosis is guarded." FIMIMI 1-1-4 WINTER SPORTS CAPITAL OF IOWA 8 PAGES TODAY •'••is lory & ' Io *a 50316 Forecast DAILY NEWS 104th YEAR; NO. 82 Transport Viet Cong Officials U. S. Copters Used for Peace SAIGON (AP) - U.S. helicopters flew to a jungle rendezvous today, picked up the Viet Cong general who directed the 1968 Tet offensive against Saigon and flew him back to join a peacekeeping commission. Five years almost to the day since the start of the 1968 attack on Saigon, the U.S. helicopter crews brought Lt. Gen. Tran Van Tra and 28 other Viet Cong men to Tan Son Nhut Air Base. Tra is the 55-year-old deputy military commander of the elusive COSVN, the Communists' Ventral Office for South Vietnam. As chief Viet Cong member of the four-party joint military commission, he likely holds the key to the release of American prisoners of war held in South Vietnam. Seven U.S. helicopters marked with white stripes picked up Tra and his men at Loc Ninh, a rubber plantation town 75 miles north of Saigon which Tra's forces captured last year. They were taken to Camp Davis, a former U.S. Signal Corps installation at Tan Son Nhut, where the other Commu- Final Goodnight Kiss For Belfast Teenager January Utility Bills Will Correct Error Due to an error made in the October electrical billing, Estherville residents will be getting a refund in their city bills received this month, according to City Clerk Connie Garrison. The refund, which will be shown in red on the bill, is for overcharges in October electrical rates when an increase was figured in which should not have appeared until November. Mrs. Garrison also notes that the city is now processing the city utility bills rather than hiring the work done by an out-of-town agency. Therefore, the bills received this month will be in a new form. BELFAST (AP) - Gabriel Savage, 17, was kissing his 16- year-old girl friend goodnight when his killers arrived. The men dragged him from her arms and bundled him into a car as she screamed in terror. They drove away, shot him through the head and left his corpse in a ditch. Savage was the third Roman Catholic teen-ager slain in Northern Ireland this week, presumably by Protestant terrorists. Two others were badly wounded. "This, I fear, is a campaign to terrorize and intimidate families," said Gerry Fitt, a prominent Catholic politician. "They probably died just because they were baptised into a faith other than that of the gunmen," said one high-ranking policeman. Peter Watterson, 15, was the first to die. He was standing with another 15-year-old Monday in the doorway of his widowed mother's store in the Falls Road district. A spray of bullets from a speeding car cut the two boys down. Watterson died on the spot. His friend survived, badly wounded. Philip Rafferty, 14, left his home in the Andersonstown district Tuesday night for band practice. His mother said she encouraged the boy to join the band because he had asthma and blowing the trumpet might help expand his lungs. His body was found several hours later at the Giant's Ring, a circle of prehistoric stones outside Belfast. Police said he had been made to lie on the ground, the hood from his coat was pulled over his head, and two bullets were fired into his brain. "I hope the men who hooded my boy, my pale and sickly boy, and then murdered him will live with the sight of his thin little face forever," said Rafferty's mother. Savage was snatched late Tuesday night. His girl friend, identified for her safety only as Elizabeth, struggled with the assassins but they pulled a gun and threatened to shoot her, too. "She ran off crying and the car drove away," a relative said. Another 17-year-old Catholic youth was walking home Wednesday night when a man behind him shouted: "Hey, you!" The youth turned around, and the ..man fired four shots at almost point-blank range. Two bullets hit the boy, one penetrating his abdomen. Doctors said his condition was serious. Sutton Ghost Is No Longer ROCHFORD, England (AP) — The Ghost of Sutton Road will never again terrify drivers in the dead of night. A magistrate in this town east of London has seen to that. He gave the "ghost" — or the three teen-age pranksters who shrouded themselves in white sheets and haunted the lonely road — a chewing out in court Wednesday. He ordered them to keep out of trouble for the next two years or face charges of threatening behaviour. The trio of tricksters gave several motorists driving down Sutton Road, which passes a huge cemetery, the fright of nist cease-fire delegates are housed. Because of Tra's absence, the peacekeeping group made up of the four belligerents has been unable to start arranging the exchange of prisoners or the security safeguards that must be set up before the four-nation International Commission of Control and Supervision can send out its teams of observers to police the cease-fire. Tentative plans were made for the senior members of the joint military commission to hold their first meeting Friday. Annexes to the peace agreement signed in Paris last Saturday say prisoners shall be returned and received at places agreed to by the four signatories — the United States, North Vietnam, South Vietnam and the Viet Cong. These four also must guarantee the safety of personnel engaged in the return and reception of the POWs. Meanwhile, the total of cease fire violations reported continued to fall off despite continued heavy fighting in the northern provinces and despite the inability of the truce observer teams to get into the field. The Saigon command claimed there were 188 Communist attacks during the 24 hours ending at 6 a.m. today, compared with 209 in the previous 24 hours, 311 in the 24 hours before that and 426 in the first 22 hours after the cease fire went into effect Sunday. The U.S. Command announced that another American adviser was slightly wounded Wednesday in coastal Binh Dinh province. He was hit by a terrorist explosive, the Command said. He was the sixth American wounded since the cease-fire went into effect. Foreign Minister Tran Van Lam of South Vietnam returned from Paris and Washington and said he believed the fighting will stop once the international truce teams are in place. He said if there is a large North Vietnamese invasion, "the countries in the agreement are committed to act but it is up to them to decide what to do." Vice President Spiro T. Agnew flew to Phnom Penh and then to Bangkok after two days of talks with President Nguyen Van Thieu and other South Vietnamese officials on postwar U.S. - Vietnamese relations and aid to the Saigon government. In a departure statement, Agnew said his discussions had been "candid and comprehensive" and that he had "assured President Thieu and his advisers of the strong and abiding interest of the United States in the security and well- being of South Vietnam." Kissinger To Visit Hanoi As U.S. Peace Investment WASHINGTON (AP) - Seeking to ensure a continuing peace in Vietnam, President Nixon is sending Henry Kissinger to Hanoi Feb. 10 to 13 and plans a spring meeting with South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu at the Western White House. Postwar relations and a reconstruction program for all of Indochina will be chief topics at the two diplomatic meetings, Nixon told a news conference Wednesday. The President said he considers Indochina reconstruction "a potential investment in peace." He said he hopes to convince Congress to support such an effort when they see "what the Glass Eye Beats Charge SYDNEY, Australia (AP) Keith H. Lidgerwood's eyes were bloodshot, glazed and watery when he was taken to a police station and charged with drunken driving, Sgt. George Atkins told the court in Lauces- ton, Tasmania, Wednesday. "Both eyes?" Lidgerwood's attorney asked the policeman. "Yes," said Atkins. "Were they both the same?" stakes are." Nixon did not give any indication of the cost of U.S. reconstruction aid, which has been estimated at $7.5 billion. He said the amount involved would have to be negotiated with Congress. There have been statements from some congressmen, par ticularly conservatives, opposing any reparations for North Vietnam. Nixon did not use the word, "reparations." The Hanoi trip for Kissinger was arranged during the final round of talks in Paris, White House sources said. It was announced simultaneously in Washington and Hanoi. their lives. One man said he thought the the lawyer persisted, spooky figure flitting across the "Yes," Atkins insisted, road was the ghost of his uncle Lidgerwood, 64, removed his who had died a few days before glass right eye and placed it on until he loted the "ghost" the ledge of the dock, was wearing red pants. Case dismissed. Women Crack Burglary; Three Youths Charged Four-year-old Colette Heil helps her five-year-old sister, Jennifer, buckle up in a Paul Bunyan size boot as the girls joyfully 'think snow' for the Estherville Winter Sports Festival, which starts Friday. The youngsters thoughts may have helped to bring some of the snow whieh was falling on Estherville today, just in time to put persons in the mood for the fes- Let It Snow tival activities. The girls are the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. William Heil who operate Jake's Pizza in Estherville. The oversized buckle overshoe was furnished by Brown's Shoe Fit Co. Festival chairman Al Conlee said thW everything was go for the festival with the exception that the sculpture judging has been moved back one week.— Photo by Chuck Ostheimor SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Two San Jose women, who took matters into their own hands when they thought police were acting too slowly in solving the burglary of their home, said an empty shotgun was used to put their point across to the culprits. It worked. Police said Wednesday that Dorothy Kalkbrenner and Lee Lawrence spent a week tracking down leads before recovering several appliances, jewelry, a coin collection and $132 in cash taken in the Jan. 21 burglary. Police found fingerprints at the residence and told the women to wait until the burglars tried to fence the stolen property. The two women grew tired of waiting and, on checking neighbors, got descriptions of possible suspects. They decided one 18-year-old had been involved. Their next step was to have a male friend approach the youth and ask to buy some "hot" merchandise at a bargain price. He was offered a stereo — their stereo, the women said. They went to police to get a search warrant, but were told their evidence was insufficient for a warrant to be issued. It was at this point that Miss Lawrence took the shotgun to the youth's home and demanded the stereo. He told her he bought it from someone else, but he gave it up, said Miss Lawrence. She gave him a half-hour to locate other items during which they went to two other homes in the area and got most of the stolen items, she said. "Apparently the word already was out about a shotgun- toting housewife on the loose, because we didn't encounter too much trouble," Miss Lawrence said. As a result of the women's action, three teen-agers have been booked for investigation of burglary, police said. Sixth in a Series You and Your • . . School Bond Issue On Feb. 8, you, as voters, will cast your ballots on the school bond for a proposed addition to the Rotunda building. Many of you have questions to which you need answers in order to come to a decision. Fifteen typical queries were put to members of the school board and their responses will appear here in succeeding publications. If the Rotunda addition were built for accomodating all the Junior High, how would the old junior high building be used? Mrs. Barbara Rohlf: "The Roosevelt Elementary school, grades 4, 5, and 6 need more space and could expand their program into available classrooms. Roosevelt Elementary would also have complete use of the cafeteria, instrumental and vocal music areas, and the library facility. These spaces currently are either completely lacking in the Roosevelt building or are available to the Roosevelt students on a very limited basis in cooperation with the Junior High program. "The proposed addition would allow space at the Roosevelt building for a kindergarten program for students living in this area. At present the kindergarten age youngsters living in this vicinity have to journey to one of the primary schools to attend a kindergarten program. It appears that the class size and enrollment at the other schools at this time would not necessitate developing a section of all primary grades in the Roosevelt building. "The present proposal for the addition to the Rotunda building includes only a food service area to allow more space for classroom teaching. Therefore, the central food preparation area would remain at the present Junior High Building. This area is also very inadequate and would be expanded into classrooms currently used for teaching. "The printing service and the audiovisual services for the Estherville Public Schools would also be housed in this complex. This would allow adequate space to meet the needs and the demands placed on them by the total school system." How will the purchase price of the Rotunda plus cost of the proposed addition and remodeling stack up. against what the cost might have been of building a comparable facility from scratch? James Currell: "This is difficult to answer with any degree of accuracy. If the architect's estimate of $20 a square foot for new building is correct and the rotunda building was purchased at a square foot cost of less than $10, this would produce a savings of at least $250,000 to $300,000. Remember, this is nothing more than a rough guess."