Estherville Daily News from Estherville, Iowa on January 8, 1973 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial
Click to view larger version

Estherville Daily News from Estherville, Iowa · Page 1

Estherville, Iowa
Issue Date:
Monday, January 8, 1973
Page 1
Start Free Trial

Page 1 article text (OCR)

Claim Planes Misguided l- i.-fi ' 50516 U.S. Air Strike Hits Own Base Meet in Petersburg Petersburg proved to be a popular meeting place Sunday for Estherville residents who took advantage of excellent trail conditions between the two towns on the Des Moines River. Taking time out for a chat at Petersburg when the above picture was taken were the Jerry Devine family, the James Ricke family, the Bud Kurth family, Dr. R. N. Lepird and son Richard, Jim Roberts and Al Ringham. Several other Estherville persons were met along the route.—Photo by Chuck Ostheimer SAIGON (AP) — An American flight leader mistakenly guided five U.S. fighter-bombers into an accidental attack on the Da Nang Air Base today. Ten Americans and one Vietnamese were reported wounded by shrapnel or injured while running for cover. No deaths were reported. The western part of the base where the bombs hit is thinly populated. The U.S. Command reported that about half a dozen U.S. AC 119 gunships and one helicopter, were lightly damaged by flying shrapnel and four fuel tanks were destroyed. The command first reported the explosions at 8:20 a.m. as an enemy shelling attack. Seven hours later, it announced that an investigation showed five Air Force, Navy and Marine fighter-bombers "flying above a heavy overcast accidentally dropped 34 500-pound bombs at Da Nang Air Base." The intended target was suspected North Vietnamese and Viet Cong positions near Da Nang. The flight leader reportedly ordered the bombs dropped at the wrong map coordinates. The planes — an Air Force F4 Phantom, two Marine F4s and two Navy A7 Corsairs — came from two bases in Thailand and from a carrier off the coast, and the pilots may have been unfamiliar with the Da Nang area. The U.S. Command reported continued heavy aerial assaults on North Vietnam's southern panhandle with the object of slowing war materiel moving down to South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Fort y-five B52s dropped about 1,300 tons of bombs, and there were 124 strikes by fighter-bombers during the 24-hour period ending at 8 a.m. today. North Vietnamese and Viet Cong attacks in South Vietnam dropped from an average of 100 per day during the past five days to 77 for the 24 hours ending at dawn today, the Saigon command said. Sixty of the attacks were carried out by rockets and mortars and involved no infantry assaults, headquarters said. U.S. spokesmen reported the loss of the 33rd American aircraft in operations against North Vietnam since Dec. 18, when the air war was stepped up in an attempt to force Hanoi to agree to President Nixon's peace terms. An Air Force F4 Phantom returning from a combat mission in the north crashed in northeast Thailand, but the two crewmen ejected safely. In Laos, a government military spokesman said there has been a steady increase in fighting near the provincial capital of Saravane, 280 miles southeast of Vientiane. Ten Communist soldiers were killed and eight wounded during the weekend, while government troops suffered light casualties, the spokesman said. Snipers Battle Police From New Orleans Hotel WINTER SPORTS CAPITAL OF IOWA 8 PAGES TODAY Seven Dead, 16 Wounded NEW ORLEANS, La. (AP) Two of the heavily armed snipers involved in a marathon gun battle that has left seven persons dead and 16 wounded held police at bay from the roof of an 18-story hotel today, virtually paralyzing a large section of downtown New Orleans. The snipers continued to fight it out with police sharpshooters, who pounded the roof of the hotel throughout the night with continued helicopter assaults. By early morning, the helicopter apparently forced one the snipers off the roof and into a stairwell. Three policemen were wounded in today's round of fighting. Police said there were three snipers at the outset Sunday, with the gunmen setting fires in the Downtown Howard Johnson Hotel as they peppered the area around the building, endangering firemen who continuously ducked bullets while keeping the flames under-control. One of the snipers was killed during a helicopter assault Sunday. A Long Way To Telephone EDITORS NOTE: An Associated Press reporter was of the newsmen at the hotel where sniper fire had claimed a number of victims. Here is his account of what it was like at the scene. By GUY COATES Associated Press Writer NEW ORLEANS, La. (AP) The only way to telephone was outside the door where a sniper Iowa Conservation Boards Register REAP Protest WASHBURN, Iowa (AP) Another protest in the cancellation of the Rural Environment Assistance Program (REAP) by the Nixon Administration was registered here Sunday by the board of directors of the Iowa Association of County Conservation Boards. A resolution adopted un­ animously said the cut-off of federal funds renders Iowa's conservancy law ineffective and terminates the only program which had been instrumental in developing wildlife habitat. The directors urged the administration and Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz todevelop Kissinger, Le Due Tho Resume Peace Negotiations PARIS (AP) - Henry A. Kissinger and Le Due Tho resumed peace negotiations today in an apparently icy atmosphere. President Nixon's national security adviser and the North Vietnamese Politburo member met for the first time in almost four weeks at a house owned by the French Communist party in Gif sur Yvette, a suburb 15 miles southwest of Paris. For the first time, no North Vietnamese official was waiting at the doorstep to welcome Kis­ singer and his aides. Kissinger waited outside for nearly a minute, then pushed open the door and entered. The lack of a friendly reception presumably was an expression of anger at the U.S. bombing of Hanoi and Hai­ phong last month. Tho and Xuan Thuy, the head of the North Vietnamese delegation in Paris, arrived more than 20 minutes before the Americans and smiled and waved at the waiting newsmen. Most of the Americans had tense, serious expressions when they arrived. a long-term set-aside acres program to meet the needs for wildlife habitat in Iowa and other states. The executive order issued last Monday cancelled all pending and future applications for REAP which Congress had funded at about $250 million. There have been numerous protests against the action and a coalition of Midwest congressmen has been formed in an effort to restore REAP and other agriculture programs which the administration terminated in what was described as an economy move. Copies of the resolution adopted here Sunday will be sent to the White House, the agriculture department, members of the Iowa Senate and House, and other state and national officials. The directors, in other action, established a committee to make a comprehensive study and recommend a schedule of job specifications and salary brackets for executive officers of county conservation boards. The study is to take into consideration the variance between the financial abilities and administrative needs of Iowa's rural and metropolitan counties. was shooting down on the street. A policeman told me I would be safe until I got to the corner if I hugged the wall. "He can't shoot straight down at you, and you'll be all right to the corner as long as you don't wander out to the curb," he said. I had been holed up in the Howard Johnson Hotel lobby with other newsmen for about 30 minutes, getting information from police, and had no way to relay it to the office since authorities^ had taken over the hotel phones for their operations. So I eased onto the sidewalk and inched my way toward the corner, but I had chosen the wrong time. A fusillade of gunfire broke out from the 100 policemen surrounding the hotel and crouched behind squad cars. I was looking toward the corner when I saw an officer crumple near a squad car. I hugged the wall even tighter, and stood frozen for about five minutes. An ambulance then inched its way through the street and stopped by the wounded man. He was put in the ambulance, which made its way through the gunfire. Later in the day, I learned that his name was Charles Arnold and that he wasn't dead. I crept back to the hotel lobby, flattened against the wall. Fifteen minutes later, I inched my way back to the corner again. I found that I would have to cross an exposed 30-foot street, clearly in the line of fire, before I could reach a phone. There were a half dozen policemen across that street, protected by another building. They yelled at me, saying they would give me cover if I wanted to cross. They peered from around the wall, three of them on their knees, and began firing in the general direction of the sniper. I bolted across that canyon floor as they sent a stream of lead skyward, like something out of Grade B Western. It was the longest 30 feet I had ever covered. DAILY NEWS 104th YEAR; NO. 64 ESTHERVILLE, IOWA, 51334, MONDAY, JANUARY 8, 1973 WEEK, 60c; COPY, 15c Close Before Noon Today Fuel Oil Shortage Hits City Schools All Estherville schools were closed shortly after 11:30 this morning because of a heating problem, according to Superintendent Robert Rice. Fuel oil supplied by Hurrell Oil Co., by contract, had run out, and another grade of fuel oil was obtained from another source, but it was not flowing freely through the lines to the boilers because of the cold temperatures. McKinley, Maniece and Lincoln schools were not having trouble but temperatures in the junior and senior high buildings had gone down to 50 degrees. In order not to have to run the bus routes twice all children were to be dismissed at noon. Rice said, "To the best of our knowledge, we will have classes tomorrow." He reminded parents "to make sure you check how the youngsters are dressed when they leave for school," saying "we are trying to maintain heat at 68 degrees." Kenneth Burrell, co-owner of Burrell Oil Co., told reporters that "we will not know until tomorrow if we can get more fuel oil from our supplier." "We have exhausted all avenues, political and otherwise, Among Other Things... Linda Schroeder Third Linda Schroeder, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Schroeder of rural Gruver, placed third in the tenth district'Voice of Democracy' contest at Laurens Thursday. Linda is a student at Lincoln Central School. First place went to Ray Roewee of Laurens and second to Julie Backstrom of Ayrshire. Only the first place winner advances to state competition. Dog Licenses on Sale Dog licenses are now on sale at the Utility Office of the Estherville City Hall, according to City Clerk Connie Garrison. All dogs six months old or over must be licensed and proof of a rabies shot must accompany the license application. Mrs. Garrj^on noted that licenses become delinquent after Jan. 31 and a penalty of 50 cents per month shall be charged for each additional month. in trying to make connections for a fuel oil source in Iowa and out of state," Dr. R. N. Lepird, president of the school board, stated. "We hope people will be patient with us in this crisis." Meanwhile, in Des Moines, Gov. Robert Ray Monday blasted the oil companies for their "gasoline price wars" while Iowa suffers a fuel oil shortage. Ray said he could see no reason for promoting gasoline sales while production of fuel oil doesn't meet demands. Both fuels are refined from the same crude oil. The governor said state workers have been told to turn down heat when buildings are unoccupied and turn off lights when not in use to conserve energy. Ray urged Iowans to do the same — especially turning down heat at night and while they're away from home. "I saw a letter from an apartment complex in Des Moines," Ray recalled, in which residents were "told to leave their thermostats up over the holidays even if they weren't going to be home." The governor said apartment dwellers are the very people who might be affected if the fuel shortage continues. The governor said 5-10 per cent of fuel oil could be saved if people would conserve energy at home. The govenor said his staff and the federal Office of Emergency Planning (OEP) have been exploring several alternatives to bring more fuel to Iowa. "One idea we have had a good response from," the governor explained, is the release of hydroelectric energy from the rivers by opening the dams." He explained that move would allow power companies to release some of the fuel oil they would have otherwise used to make electricity. Weekend Fires Hit Three Iowa Towns Takes Only Seven Days Classrooms Readied During Vacation Twenty-four hundred Estherville youngsters returned to school last week to polished floors and clean school rooms, the results of 7 days of labor for 17 men. Leo Bean, superintendent of buildings and grounds, said, "It was a real short vacation for us. "We scrubbed and waxed and damp - mopped approximately 400,000 square feet of floor space." In addition carpeting was shampooed at the Junior High and Maniece buildings. Two offices at Maniece were painted as well as parts of the home economics room and cafeteria at the Junior High. Desk tops were disinfected. Disinfecting by fog is also a daily chore while school is in session, Bean said. Repair was also made when heating coils were found broken in the Junior High building. The heating element in that building has been in use about 50 years, according to Lou Bohnsack, administrative assistant. At Maniece School an air compressor, which controls the heat­ ing system, broke and a new one had to be installed. With school back in session, Bean, the custodians carry out daily duties of dusting and sweeping, in which desks and all furniture must be moved piece by piece—a total of 3,000 items a week. Seven miles of fluorescent lighting fixtures must be- kept in working order. Countless between school errands, which include transporting supplies, foods, and even waste materials to the school system's two incinerators, must be taken care of daily. "The housewives will understand," Lou Bohnsack says, "when we say we keep house for 2,400 kids." For overseeing the housekeeping tasks, I-eo Bean has acquired a first class engineer's license from a technical school course and electrical engineering training, lie has boon with the Estherville Community Schools 3'/2 years, having been previously buildings and grounds superintendent in schools at Council Bluffs and Lake City. Custodians here are Orville Heidecker, who has had 19 years of experience, Clarence Carr with eight years, Bob Weir, Bob Minor, Bob West, Ken Hanson, Henry Hanson, Floyd Christenson, Larry Jorge, Jim Holmgren, El lard Sorbo and Hayes Woodcock. Maintenance men include Orva Haines, who has been part of the staff 19 years, Raymond I las- brook and Gaylc Sisson. Norman Wright is a grounds caretaker. Also assisting on the work during Christmas vacation was Tcr- rv PVnl. By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Fires over the weekend destroyed a grade school, a manufacturing plant and a Girl Scout camp building in widely separated areas of the state. The three-story Highland Community School District grade school in Ainsworth was gutted by flames Sunday. Fire fighters from Washington, Riverside and Lone Tree helped Ainsworth crews battle a blaze and were able to save only the gymnasium, which was connected to the brick school by a breeze-way. Authorities said the fire began at midafternoon, apparently in the basement, and spread through the chimney to the roof. When fire fighters arrived, the third story was in flames. The building was believed to The Forecast have been unoccupied at the time. Fire destroyed the one-story David Manufacturing Co. building in Mason City on Sunday. Cause of the fire was under investigation. Loses Sight In One Eye Ronald Soat, son of Mrs. Elwood Cushman of Terril, is reported to have lost the sight in one eye following injuries received in a fight here Jan. 2. Estherville police investigated the incident which occurred at 4 a.m. Tuesday. Soat was said to have been injured by broken glass from a door which slammed at an apartment at Eight Street and Central Avenue. Two men, Jerry Petersen and Bruce Mustard of Estherville were later charged and fined for fighting in connection with the incident. Soat was taken by plane by marines to the Great Lakes Naval Hospital. He is a U.S. Marine on leave from Camp Lc- Jeune, N.C.

Get full access with a Free Trial

Start Free Trial

What members have found on this page