The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on March 29, 1966 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 1

Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, March 29, 1966
Page 1
Start Free Trial

The "RRST-OMT*-WKK" Tabloid .. . . Ettttnd a* tecond claw nutter'*t the tmrtattice at Algona. towa ALOOMA IOWA TtJCVBAY MABfU 9O IOAA Ho». 1. 1KB, under Act «f CongraM qt Much 3. M79. JWWUMA, NJTCA, IUUUAT, MARCH 2V, 1966 &%«*3&*^^ - 16 tabloid V OL 101 NO. 24 County Slowly Digs Out Roads Open But Electricity, Phones Suffer The office of Sheriff Ralph Lindhorst here was a busy place during the three days after Tuesday's blizzard. He and bis two deputies, Don Wood and Larry Hudson, were going night and day as their schedule became loaded with public service work. Cause of the added tasks which kept them going practically 24 hours a day, was lack of communications in most county towns, which were shut off from the world when many telephone and power lines were broken. Lindhorst, Wood and Hudson spent many hours making trips from the office here to Fenton, Bancroft, Swea City, Lakota, Ledyard, and Whittemore, carrying .important messages which dealt with everything from notification of death' to-f getting an area man to University hospitals at Iowa City where his daughter was very ill. The sheriff noted Saturday installation of 2-way radios in these towns could solve a lot of problems in case of emergency. Such radio set-ups were a big help at Titonka, Wesley and Burt, towns that have had the necessary radio equipment for some time. Fenton had an emergency 2-way radio for use after it was set up Thursday night, but not on a permanent basis. The sheriff said it would be a big help in such emergencies if all towns in the county had 2-way radios, preferably mounted in autos where a power shortage would not provide a problem, and suggested purchase of such equipment by the towns would result in its use following a storm such as our most recent one - or in case of tornadoes, etc., when communication is so important. Algona's fire whistle briefly blew, Wednesday, in a minor voice, but it was only a test by firemen after they had cleaned out the siren with a crowbar, removing snow and ice. They wanted to be sure it was working. - o~ T-V ANTENNAS TAKE A BEATING Algona T-V service firms reported nearly 500 antennas in this area dislodged completely or partly, enough to require repair and reconstruction calls. Rural calls, after restoration of telephone service, are still to come. Radio Station KLGA . was cut off from power and phone service, and personnel were unable to reach the station for some hours. It was off the air two days. ALGONA INDUSTRIES CUT OFF BY STORM Hetronics, Inc. and Directory Service, Inc. were forced to close for two days of operation, Wednesday and Thursday, due to a loss of electricity, and the Weid- enhoff Corp. operated on a limited power basis for several days. At Weidenhoff the 4:30 p. m. shift to 1 a. m. shift into Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, composed of 47 persons, found itself stranded at the plant. Emergency use of a boiler supplied some heat and lights. Mr. and Mrs.'Edwin Hibbs and Mr. and Mrs. Win. Carman walked from their homes, nearby, on Wednesday, taking the marooned employees hot food and coffee. Midwest Printing & Litho, in the Upper Des Moines building, published only the Upper Des Moines on Wednesday. The balance of the usual Wednesday publications from nearby towns were printed Thursday after roads opened up. At the Kossuth County Home, power was off for 46 hours. The 40 residents used gas ranges for heat. Milking of 30 cows was puea some neat ana ugnis. wr. nea t. Milking of 30 cows was &f8&&&3?&^^ done by hand. Adolph Larson, a resident, suffered aheartattack Thursday morning and a snow plow opened the road. He is 88. Larson was taken to St. Ann hospital and is recovering. - o - WATER FOR STOCK A MAJOR PROBLEM With electricity off, pumps quit, and many stock feeders had to improvise for their lives- stock water supply. Last Thursday the City of Algona supplied about 7,000 gallons to farmers who drove in with trucks and pickups, and empty tanks and cans for water, from the fire department connections at city hall. - o ABSOLUTE ISOLATION THE FIRST TIME FOR For many farm families in the area, last week's blizzard brought their first experience with absolute isolation, an isolation their parents and grandparents may have known, but not in more modern times Roads were blocked, power went off, and telephones went dead • Storm Damage Severe Here Storm clean-up, an annual March event in* this area during recent years, got underway here Thursday when state and county road crews began plowing drifts from clogged highways and roads, city crews started uncovering streets and parking lots and Municipal Utilities and Northwestern .Bell Telephone men got going on the seemingly unending job of patching up cables and wires torn apart in our latest blizzard. While it remained windy, especially in the rural areas, Thursday, workmen were able to take the first real whack at the immense job of restoring some sort of order to travel, communications and power. And clear skies, coupled with the less-than 60 mile per hour winds (which prevailed during the height of the storm), made it possible to get quite a bit done. TV repairmen had barely scratched the surface of their job, installing new antennas for many knocked down Tuesday night, and icy and snow- packed roofs didn't make their task any easier. The four photos above were snapped in this immediate area after things quieted down Thursday morning. A buried station wagon, downed utility pole and plenty of packed ice and snow are seen in the top left picture, which was taken at the top of the hill on highway 18 northwest of Algona. It was impossible to identify the auto as too little d it appeared out of the drift to do so. At top right, a line of eight utility poles lay on the ground, snapped off like match sticks, near the Al Erpelding farm, 4 1/2 miles east of Algona on highway 18. This was not an unusual sight, as hundreds of poles fell during the blizzard - and in a five-mile stretch along highway 18 east of Wesley, 60 were knocked down. A large tree, one of many , was broken into large sticks on the parking near the Harry Cutler home on North Thorington street here. It is shown, barely hanging together in the photo at lower left. One of the tallest TV antennas broken off was at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Valentine at 215 North Harlan street here. It is 'shown in the photo at bottom right, slanting from its base to the wires going past their home. As is always true following such a wicked storm (some old timers have referred to it as the worst they have ever seen here), an estimate of damage is impossible to make. One thing is certain, some of the repair will take months to complete. (UDM Polaroid Photos)

What members have found on this page

Get access to

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free