Pilot comes through in a tough lesson page 2 Seaside beats Sunnyvale for Pony title at Anton page 9 WEATHER MENDOCINO COUNTY — Clear tonight. Lows in the upper 40s to mid 60s. Light winds. Patchy morning fog and low clouds along the coast Wednesday, otherwise sunny. Highs in the upper 50s to near 100. Temperatures H L Yesterday 106 61 Last year 104 62 Rainfall overnight rainfall 0.00 Year to date 00.00 Last year 00.00 Ukiah Daily Tuesday, August 4, 1987 © 1987, Donrey, Inc. [Journal Vol. 127 No. 91 14 pages Serving Mendocino County, Calit. 25 Cents RR hopes to resume service By PETER PAGE' Managers at the Eureka Southern Railroad arc hoping the still-smoldering Arnold Tunnel will be passable in time for a scheduled passenger excursion train to Eureka to pass Aug. 15. The intensity of the Maze forced firefighters to evacuate. Bulldozers worked until Monday evening sealing the tunnel with dirt in order to smother the fire. Eureka Southern spokesman John Kosack estimated it will be at least the end of this week before the fire consumes all the oxygen in the tunnel. "We could be lucky on this one. It's possible the fire will go out quickly," Kosack said. The 650-foot tunnel, located about five miles north of Willits, began burning sometime Sunday night The fire was apparently ignited by sparks from a passing train. The fire will not put the financially hard pressed railroad completely out of business. Although passage from Eureka to Willits is closed until the tunnel is reopend, the Eureka Southern's contract to haul timber from logging sights along the tracks to mills in Eureka will be unaffected. Kosack said the tunnel will remain sealed at least until the end of the week, but he hopes the damage can be repaired in time to allow the first scheduled passenger excursion from Willits to Eureka to leave Aug. 15. The excursions are considered an important potential source of revenue for the hard luck railroad. "We're just going to assume everything is a go. We could get out of this one in relatively good shape if we have any luck," Kosack said. The fire was discovered sometime Sunday night by firefighters from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection; CDF crews were dispatched to the area at Snnday.by reports of fires ignited'by a passing freight train. A fire in September 1983 in Tunnel 12, about five iniles further north from the Arnold Tunnel, shut down train service between Willits and Eureka for months. : At that time the the trains were operated by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad, a subsidiary of Southern Pacific. The fire occurred only days after SP had applied to abandon operations on the northern portion of the NWP line, which is now the Eureka Southern. The damage to Tunnel 12 was not repaired until a federal district court judge ordered SP to do so, ruling that failure to keep the railroad in running order constituted "de facto abandonment." (see, FIRE, page 2) Aihiku A front end loader pushed dirt Into the tunnel entrance Monday afternoon In an effort to stop the fire. Iran starts 'Martyrdom' maneuvers KUWAIT (AP) — U.S. warships escorted a Kuwaiti tanker out of the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, and Iran announced naval maneuvers in the narrow gulf gateway where it has attack boats and anti-ship missiles. Iran said the three days of exercises in the 44-mile-wide strait would be called "Martyrdom" and start at midnight Monday. It said they will show the readiness of thousands of volunteers for suicide attacks on the U.S. Navy, which Iran says helps Iraq in the 7-year- old gulf war. It warned all ships and aircraft out of Iranian territorial waters in the gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman. Iranian waters are difficult to' define. Gulf shipping executives note that international law puts the territorial line 12 miles off a nation's coast, but also that the limit would apply to each Iranian island. The reflagged 46,732-ton Kuwaiti tanker Gas Prince, whose "cargo of liquefied petroleum gas makes it a floating bomb, negotiated the strait into the Gulf of Oman with two Navy ships on guard. Its ultimate destination is Imari, Japan. A Defense Department official in Washington, speaking privately, told reporters the Chinese-built Silkworm missiles Iran keeps on its side of Hormuz have a range of about 50 miles, and said of the convoy: "We've gotten word they're beyond the missile envelope." The supertanker Bridgeton, also flying the American flag, sailed north with the Gas Prince last month in the first Navy-escorted convoy. It hit a mine July 24 off Iran's Farsi Island about 120 miles south of Kuwait. Shipping sources in Kuwait said the 401,382-ton Bridgeton would leave in "a week to 10 days," possibly making the southbound trip with a convoy scheduled to begin the 500-mile voyage up the gulf Thursday. The damaged supertanker has been loaded with about 1,600,000 barrels of crude oil, two- thirds its normal capacity. Rear Adm. Harold J. Bernsen, commander of the U.S. Middle East Task Force patrolling the gulf, said it was "my decision" when the Bridgeton would leave. It and the Gas Prince are the first of 11 Kuwaiti tankers being reregistered in the United States so the U.S. navy can protect them. Kuwait also has chartered tankers flying the Soviet and British flags. Bernsen told a pool of reporters three more tankers would be reregistered within lO^day*. UI _ ' The Iranians accuse Kuwait of receiving arms shipments for Iraq, the emirate's eastern neighbor at the head of the gulf, and has made regular attacks since September on ships owned by or serving Kuwait. Iraq's ports were closed soon after the war began in September 1980. More than 330 ships have been attacked by both combatants in seven years of war. Pentagon officials in Washington have said the Navy is bringing eight mine-sweeping helicopters and three or four coastal mine-sweeping vessels into the gulf to help clear mines. Study discourages development outside downtown By PETER PAGE Journal SUN Writer A consultant's report recommends a Ukiah revelopment strategy aimed at encouraging new housing within walking distance of downtown and discouraging new retail development outside of downtown. The report, to be discussed Wednesday by the Redevelopment Commission, includes a laundry list of possible projects, which taken together would cost in the millions of dollars. The document stresses the.importance of Perkins Street as the main corridor into downtown and strongly urges preservation of historically significant buildings. It repeatedly recommends the development of new housing in the vacant acreage near the Northwestern Pacific Railroad between Perkins and Gobbi streets. The report was written by Wurster, Bernardi, and Emmons, Inc., and John B. Dykstra and Associates, the consultants hired to map a redevelopment strategy for the city. In all, four separate possible redevelopment strategies are discussed in the report. The consultants listed nine elements common to the different plans which they consider essential to the success of whatever plan is selected. Key recommendations include concentrating commercial development downtown, keeping county offices downtown, enticing tourists to stay longer and spend more, improving traffic circulation and parking, attracting tenants to the Redwood Business Park, retaining the "orchard character of the freeway and winning a scenic highway designation for U.S. 101, spurring residential development near downtown, and upgrading Perkins Street as the main entrance to the city from U.S. 101. Efforts to revitalize downtown, whether through redevelopment or the Main Street Program or both, will inevitably require a reduction in the amount of commercially zoned land elsewhere in the city, the consultants warn. The amount of commercial land in the city is "much more land than can be absorbed by commercial development in many decades." The. four proposed redevelopment strategies are: •Focusing on the new ciyic center with an emphasis on developing School Street as "a retail pedestrian spine." •Encouraging Mendocino County to expand its office downtown, with a cooperative city-county effort to develop parking. In addition, redevelopment would strive to enhance retail shopping outlets and pedestrian activities. The report suggests considering development of a downtown plaza that could be closed to traffic for special events. •Upgrading Perkins Street as a commercial corridor from the Pear Tree Shopping Center to downtown, with efforts to limit commercial uses elsewhere in the city. Major investments would be required to widen and improve Perkins Street. Private investment could be encouraged to renovate the old Ukiah railroad station. •Upgrading State Street, with major improvements to smooth traffic flow, improve street lighting, and enhance the appearance with landscaping. The city should encourage facelifts for existing commercial areas, but otherwise discourage commercial uses outside of downtown. Improving parking and traffic circulation will not come cheaply, the consultants noted. Suggested projects, and estimated prices, include: •Realigning Leslie Street to intersect with Hospital Drive, $120,000. •Widening Perkins Street from the freeway to downtown, $75,000. •New traffic signals at the State Street intersections of Church and Seminary, $200,000. •Coordinating all State Streets traffic signals, $100,000. •New traffic lights on Perkins at the intersections of Main and the suggested realigned Leslie Street, $200,000. •Construction of a second story parking garage at the city parking lot new the post office, $575,000. •Construction of long term parking for courthouse employees and jurors, $613,000. •Development of a multi-use pedestrian plaza on Standley Street between School and State, $135,000. The consultants, before compiling the list of possible projects, admitted not all could be afforded. However, other actions, such as improved street signs or a historical preservation ordinance, would cost little. The City Council, meeting as the Redevelopment Commission, will discuss the report at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the public meeting room of the Grace Hudson Museum. : Iran-Contra hearings end quietly WASHINGTON (AP) — The nation's daytime summer fireworks, the Iran-Contra hearings, came to a quiet end after a 41-day run Monday, with none of the 29 witnesses having tied President Reagan directly to the use of arms- sales profits for the guerrillas fighting in Nicaragua. T The president has indeed been telling the truth," said Rep. Richard Cheney, R-Wyo., the vice chairman of the House committee. However, Republicans joined Democrats in a final round of speeches denouncing die secrecy and deception that brought the Reagan administration its greatest embarrassment. "The story has now been told," said Daniel K. Inouye, D-Hawaii, Chairman of the Senate committee. He called it a chilling story of a flawed policy "kept alive by a secret White House junta despite repeated warnings and signs of failure." Reagan will deliver a speech on the Iran-Contra affair next week, on a day still unspecified, but spokesman Martin Fitzwater said the president does not intend to "go into every detail" about the testimony which was spread over three months of hearings. "It's the overall issues involved that the president wants to address," Fitzwater said. The rare collaboration of committees from the House and Senate will continue the rest of the month. First, (hey will hear testimony from three CIA officials behind closed doors, then they will draft a report on the affair. In the meantime, independent counsel Lawrence Walsh continues his separate investigation into the possibility of criminal prosecution of some of the affair's main figures. Nine of toe public witnesses at the hearings testified under grants of immunity, meaning their words cannot be used against them in a future prosecution. While there were extraordinary revelations from some of the key witnesses in the nationally televised hearings — principally former National Security Adviser John M. Poindexter and his aide, Lt. Col. Oliver North — the basic story of the complicated affair remained unchanged after the hearings began on May 5: Arms had been supplied to Iran — with Reagan's belated assent — in hopes of bettering relations and obtaining that country's help in gaining the release of American hostages held in Lebanon; profits were made on the sale by private citizens recruited by North; without the president's knowledge a portion of those profits went to buy weapons for toe rebels fighting Nicaragua's communist government. The hearings, said Inouye, pru- (see, HEARINGS, page 2) Setback for suit against supervisors By RANDY FOSTER Journal SUM WrH«r The lawsuit against three county supervisors for their April Planning Commission appointment of Robert Canclini was temporarily derailed last week. The lawsuit, filed by Charles Peterson of Point Arena, alleges that supervisors Marilyn Butcher, Nelson Redding and John Cimolino violated the Brown Act the night before Canclini was appointed in March. Superior Court Judge Arthur Broaddus left a door open in the suit by allowing the plaintiff 20 days to file an amendment, but said the allegation of a Brown Act violation was "so nebulous" that the charge could almost be thrown out of court. County attorneys say Broaddus' ruling may have struck a mortal blow to Peterson's case. "They'll have a tough time proving there was a Brown Act violation, that's why it was a favorable ruling," said Deputy County Counsel David Kelvin this morning. Broaddus also struck down Peterson's contention that Canclini's appointment was invalid because it was executed by the vice-chairman of the Board of Supervisors, Redding, and not Chairman Norman de Vail. De Vail was outside the boardroom holding a press conference at the lime. "The fact that the chairman chose to be absent to conduct, a press conference does not mean that the business of the Board of Supervisors cannot proceed so long as a quorum is present," Broaddus said. But Broaddus disagreed with a county argument that Peterson had no right to bring the lawsuit. "Any interested person may commence an action..." he said. "We'll certainly amend," said Barry Vogel, Peterson's attorney. "We may even appeal some of the decisions." Vogel said he will begin taking depositions of witnesses to prove the Brown Act was violated. " Peterson, de Vall's campaign organizer in 1986, filed the suit in May alleging supervisors Butcher, Redding and Cimolino violated the Brown Act the night before Canclini was appointed. He said the Brown Act, which requires open and public meetings of elected officials, was disobeyed when the three supervisors received phone calls from an anonymous caller who announced Canclini wanted to he a planning commissioner.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month