MAGIC NUMBER Giants lose third straight 6 Paqe 9 Journal football contest corrections Page 9 WEATHER MENDOCINO COUNTY — Partly cloudy tonight with persistent smoke in the northern canyons. Lows tonight in the 40s to low 50s. Partly cloudy Thursday with persistent smoke in the northern canyons. Highs in the mid-50s to lower 90s. Temperatures H L Yesterday -99 55 Last year 80 44 Rainfall overnight rainfall 0.00 Year to date 00.00 Last year 01.32 UkiahDaih Wednesday, September 23,1987 © 1987, Donrey, Inc. 'Journal Vol. 127 No. 134 14 pages Serving Mendocino County, Calif. 25 Cents Five more join race for judge By PETER PAGE Journal Stall Writer Five more aspirants have notified Governor George Dcukmejian of their interest in sitting on the Superior Court bench of Mendocino County. The latest candidates bring to 11 the number of attorneys and justice court judges eager to either succeed retiring Judge Arthur Broaddus or sit in the third department of the Superior Court approved in recently passed legislation. Assuming the governor signs the bill, as he is expected to do, a third superior court would be approved for Mendocino County next July. The Board of Supervisors must agree to having another court. The newest candidates are George McClurc, formerly a deputy district attorney who now works as a defense lawyer; Ronald Combest, judge of the Round Valley Justice Court; Lee Adams, who runs a one- man general law practice in Ukiah; Cliff Harris, the former assistant district attorney for DA Vivian Rackauckas; and John Ruprecht, a Fort Bragg attorney. The latest batch of applicants join justice court judges Henry Nelson, Robert Heeb, and James King; former justice court Judge George Nelson, who now serves by appointment on municipal courts around the state; private attorney Conrad Cox; and former district attorney Duncan James. "I probably have tried more cases than any other candidate," said McClure. He qualified the claim on the assumption that Duncan James, who served as his chief criminal deputy district attorney, will decide against pursuing the judge's seat and will resume his quest to be elected state attorney general. McClure is a Republican, as are all the candidates except Ruprecht. In 1982 McClure lost his own bid to become district attorney and has since taken court appointed defense attorney assignments. Combest is the judge at the Round Valley Justice Court and the only attorney in Covelo. He divides his time between the Round Valley court, where he was appointed to serve by the Board of Supervisors in 1982, and taking municipal court assignments around the state. Combest became a lawyer in 1977 and moved to Covelo two years later. He has carved out a reputation, at least locally, as tough on poachers by handing out stiff sentences for illegal fishing of summer steclhead. Adams has not formally applied for the superior court appointment, but he said that he is interested." Adams was an unsuccessful candidate for the Ukiah Justice Court seat in 1984. Nonetheless, he pccas- sionally sits in that court in the absence of Judge Nelson. Adams served four years as deputy district attorney and deputy county council back prior to those two offices being separated. Over the past five years he has concentrated on family law, but claims about an equal amount of time spent as a defense attorney. No other candidate is claiming as varied a work history as Harris, the former assistant district attorney. Harris has been a prosecuting attorney for the past 15 years, was a police officer in Long Beach for eight years before that, taught law one year at the University of Oklahoma, and once was a surveyor. Harris is now a prosecutor Sonoma County but still lives in Ukiah. He was in the local spotlight for months during the long, costly trial of double murderer Robert Wayne Danielson. Another of the judge applicants, McClure, served as on of Danielson's defense attorneys. Ruprecht is a Stanford Law School graduate, former Fort Bragg city attorney and the only Democrat among the 11 applicants. The former Marine captain practiced law in San Francisco for eight years before completely moving his practice to Fort Bragg in 1978. Who are these Hoo-Hoos? BiUicAshiinl Members of Hoo-Hoo International from as far away as Australia and New Zealand met at Parduccl Winery Tuesday for a tour and lunch sponsored by the Black Bart Hoo-Hoos. Local Hoo-Hoos (l-r front) David Jones, Robert Tjepkes and Gary Gamble put on the show. The organization Is a lumbermen's fraternity that promotes lumber products. •it Biden ws out WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Joseph Biden today withdrew from the race for the 1988 Democratic presidential nomination, saying the ''exaggerated shadow" of his mistakes had begun "to obscure the essence of my candidacy." "I do it with incredible relucance and it makes me angry. I'm angry at myself for having put myself in the position of having to make a choice," the Delaware Democrat said in a statement he read to reporters. "There will be other presidential campaigns, and I'll be there," Biden said through a smile. Biden made his announcement in the wake of damaging disclosures that he committed plagiarism and exaggerated his academic accomplishments. Biden said he would remain "deeply involved" in the effort to defeat the nomination of Robert H. Bork to the Supreme Court. Biden, 44, became the second Democrat to quit the race over matters of personal integrity months before the first voter makes a choice in a primary or caucus election. Biden, 44, became the second Democrat to quit the race over matters of personal integrity months before the first voter makes a choice in a primary or caucus election. Former Sen. Gary Hart of Colorado ended his campaign earlier this year following questions about his relationship with Miami model Donna Rice. Contras react cautiously to cease-fire Reagan calls the peace proposal 'meaningless' MANAGUA, Nicaragua—The leftist government has announced rough details of a partial truce in its war against the U.S.-backed Contra rebels, and said an influential opposition radio station could resume broadcasting. A top Contra leader reacted cautiously to the cease-fire proposal, while Reagan administration officials dismissed it as "meaningless." The announcements about a truce and Radio Catholica, the Roman Catholic Church's official broadcast voice, were the latest aimed at compliance with a new Central American peace plan. In the past month, Nicaragua has allowed two banished priests to return and has said it will allow the opposition newspaper La Prensa to re-open without Smoke may blow away Thursday By RANDY FOSTER Journal Stall Writ* Kids coughed, eyes burned and the Ukiah Valley looked more like the San Fernando Valley Tuesday as smoke from Northern California fires drifted across Mendocino County. The good news is the smoke is expected to clear. The bad news is it won't be until Thursday night or Friday. A weak weather front is bringing the smoke from several Northern California fires still burning. The smokey layer is being held in place by an inversion layer. But Meteorologist Erich Linse of the state Air Resources Board said a weather pattern 600 miles offshore is headed this way and should bring relief by Friday. "That weather system will reverse the (rend and bring in some cleaner air," he said. The smoke is corning from fires in Klamalh and Trinity national forests, as well as a few hot spots still smoldering east of Mount Sanhedrin. censorship. Ortega also has appointed a leading critic to head a National Reconciliation Commission and has said his government would begin talks with internal opposition groups. "We are going to go in a gradual way," Ortega said about the truce proposal at a news conference Tuesday. "It's the first concrete step to move ahead in the cease-fire process." He did not specify a timetable for the plan but said: "We are working on concrete actions to make known the first zones where the cease-fire will be declared." He said soldiers would be withdrawn to designated areas as a step toward a total cease- fire with the Contra rebels, who have been fighting his government since 1982. In Washington, White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said: "A unilateral cease-fire is meaningless without conditions." He said cease-fire negotiations must involve the Contras — a demand the Sandinistas have rejected. Alfonso Rpbelo, a top anti-Sandinista rebel leader, said in Honduras that Ortega's move may be aimed at dividing the Contras by sowing confusion in their ranks. Political opposition leaders in Nicaragua adopted a wait-and-see attitude. "It's clever," said Enrique Bolanos, head of the private enterprise organization known as Cosep. "But a unilateral cease-fire is difficult to work out because you need the consent of the other side." Bolanos and Social Christian Party leader Erick Ramirez said the reopening of Radio Catolica and the opposition newspaper La Prensa represented the restoration of freedoms taken away. 'They were silenced by a totalitarian dictatorship," Ramirez said in a telephone interview. The government said Radio Catolica could reopen immediately. It was forced off the air Jan. 1,1986, for failing to broadcast Ortega's year-end address. The Sandinista government, which came to power in a 1979 revolution, agreed Saturday to allow La Prensa to publish. The paper was closed June 26,1986, a day after the U.S. Congress approved $100 million in aid for the rebels. The Sandinistas have pledged to comply fully with the peace plan signed Aug. 7 by the presidents of Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Honduras. The pact calls for cease-fires, amnesties, democratic reforms and an end to strategic and tactical support of insurgencies. Those and other measures are to take effect simultaneously in the five countries on Nov. 9, 90 days after the plan was signed. President Reagan has called the peace plan "fatally flawed" and is asking Congress to approve an additional $270 million in aid for the Contras. Don De Martini in by 5-1 vote By SUZI BRAKKEN Journal Stall Writer Don De Martini officially became Uie new superintendent of the Ukiah Unified School District Tuesday night, but the vole for him was not unanimous. The board voted 5-1 to hire De Martini for the $73,500 per year post, with trustee Greg Nelson opposing. Trustee Linda Coursey was absent. Nelson said he did not vote for De Martini primarily because he has concerns with the process in which De Martini was selected. "When we first started the process, I advocated that we should wait until the new board is seated," Nelson said today. Nelson said he believed the new board should have some input into choosing the super .iendent they will be working with. Three board seats become vacant in November. Bob Hayden and Linda Coursey are resigning from their posts, and Pat Hartley is rerunning. Nelson said he also wanted to delay the hiring of a new superintendent to attract more candidates. "We were hunting for a superintendent at the worst time to find candidates," he said. "Everyone is starting school, and that gets in the way of some people applying for the job." Nelson also said he felt the board violated its own process in selecting a superintendent. The board formed a committee which screened applicants to five who were interviewed by the board. When the top candidates Trustee Greg Nelson the next three and went on to interview more candidates, one of which was De Martini. "We gave (the committee) a process, they chose five, and we didn't choose from thai five," Nelson said. "My assumption was that we were working from a pool of candidates." Furthermore, Nelson pointed out, the board did not do site visitations to evaluate the final two candidates, Pe Martini and Lawrence Lekander of Salinas. The site visitations were written into the board's original process for superintendent selection. "I tried hard to get the board to do a site visitation for Don (De Martini)," Nelson said. "They were convinced of their choice. This is another place where we violated our own policy." Nelson said that the board did give "maximum opportunity" to the input of the public and school staff in the hiring of a superintendent. Nelson further said he has reservations about whether or not De Martini has the experience required to manage district finances. "I think we're the best district in the state," he said. "I don't think that we need to choose anything less than someone who's (already had) superintendent experience." De Martini has worked for the past 16 years in the Ukiah school district as deputy superintendent of educational services. However, Nelson said he has a lot of respect for De Martini. "I'm going to do everything in my power to help this be the best district in Northern California, and work with Don and help in any way I can," Nelson said. De Martini officially becomes superintendent on Oct. 1, but he has already taken over the duties from interim superintendent Jack Daniels. The board will begin an immediate search for De Martini's replacement. The assistant superintendent's position pays between $56,980 and $59,790 plus a 5 percent annuity. Advertisements for the position will go out both locally, statewide and nationally. The job is expected to be filled by Nov. 24.
What members have found on this page
Get access to Newspapers.com
- The largest online newspaper archive
- 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
- Millions of additional pages added every month