Hope Star from Hope, Arkansas on December 16, 1977 · Page 1
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

Hope Star from Hope, Arkansas · Page 1

Hope, Arkansas
Issue Date:
Friday, December 16, 1977
Page 1
Start Free Trial

MICUO! r !L.v CIXIT.R XXX P.O. r-ox -ooo' s, Texas Weather ARKANSAS: Partly cloudy to cloudy and windy through Saturday. Scattered showers and thundershowers south and east portions tonight and Saturday morning. Cooler northwest Saturday. Lows tonight low 40s to low 50s. Highs Saturday mid 50s northwest to upper 60s south. The Editor soys. Under deficits and inflation, Government doesn't go broke—but private citizens do. AII- Tint f> Hope Hemp* lead County VOL. 79—NO. 54 —IB Pages Member of the Associated Press Newspaper Enterprise Ass'n. Features Horn* el UK towic Knife Star HOPE. ARKANSAS FRIDAY. DKCF.MRKK 16. 1977 For Period ft Mon, At. 9/30/77 4,560 6 Mo. h. 9/30/76 4,502 Av. net paid circulation I months ending 8*pl. 30. ft?/—4560 *-" 1 - 1 - 1 "- 1 " J " Bureau ot ClrcufrUong. anbfcrlI to andit. PRICF Testimony of 2 schoolgirls convicts Chowchilla kidnappers DAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — the 26 voune caotives had suf- n... »»^ „ ^,u «._.».,_., ... - A JT OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Three admitted kidnappers may spend the rest of their lives in prison because a judge ruled that three schoolgirl captives suffered bodily harm from fainting spells, nosebleeds and stomach upsets. The defendants — James Schoenfeld, 28, Richard Schoenfeld, 23, and Fred Woods, 26 — were convicted Thursday of kidnapping with bodily harm under a tough law that calls for a life sentence with no parole. Superior Court Judge Leo Deegan decided the case without a jury, ruling that three of the 26 young captives had suffered bodily harm directly linked to the July 1976 ordeal. Describing the kidnappings as an "ordeal of terror," Deegan said it was the testimony of some of the children that convinced him bodily injury had occurred. The defendants admitted kidnapping the youngsters and school bus driver Ed Ray at gunpoint, but they denied five more serious charges of kidnap with bodily harm. They were acquitted on two counts of bodily harm involving Ray and a child, Cynthia Van Hoff. The kidnappers have not been sentenced. Deegan scheduled a Jan. 16 hearing to discuss the request of defense attorneys that the sentence be modified by their showing mitigating circumstances. Ted Merrill, representing the younger Schoenfeld, asked for the hearing. Outside of court, he said he was not certain what approach he would take but one possibility was trying to have the statute declared unconstitutional. "The defendants are not bad kids. There are some things we want to bring to the attention of the judge," said Lester Gendron, attorney for James Schoenfeld. Gendron, who described his client as surprised, said, "This was an erroneous decision and it certainly will be appealed." In his swift ruling, which came immediately after closing arguments, the judge relied heavily on the testimony of the victims. He discarded the prosecution's key contention — that the victims suffered heat ex- haustion — by saying he was not convinced the evidence supported that conclusion. "1 am satisfied, however, from the testimony of some of the children that they fainted and had stomach distress," he said. Jodi Hefflngton, 12, Jennifer Brown, 10, and Rebecca Reynolds, 10, had testified that the stifling heat In the van which transported them 100 miles from their central California hometown to a rock quarry had caused fainting, nosebleeds and stomach upsets. They experienced similar problems, they said, after their captsrs placed them In a b"urled moving van, where they said they gasped for air and sweated profusely during the 16H hours before they dug their way out. The victims and their parents expressed relief nt the verdict If the defendants had been acquitted, they would have been eligible for parole in seven years. Jodi Hefflngton, 12, said she was "glad." Rebecca Reynolds, 8, said, "They got what they deserved." 'Whether to die or save myself on the inside Editors Note: A Sunday drive ended in tragedy for Norman 0. Johnson, 61. His wife, Gwen, also 61, died of exposure In deep snow after the couple's car broke down in a remote area. Here is John's account of what happened, as told to Desert News reporter Leo Perry. PROVO, Utah (AP) - The hardest decision I have made in my life was whether to lie down and die with Gwen or get up and try to save myself. We had been married for 35 years, and I didn't want to leave her. But I had to leave her if I was going to get help. We had come down from Salt Fire Lake Sunday to visit some friends and then decided to take a little ride up the canyon. It was a nice day, and the road wasn't that bad. But I turned to the right instead of the left. Then I hit a rock in the center of the road, and it knocked a hole in the oil pan. I spent two hours trying to jack the car up and get it off the rock, but I couldn't move it. It was then we decided to try to walk out. We should have gone back the way we came, but I thought it would be faster to try to walk over to Springville. We walked four or five miles. When it started to get dark, we got under a big pine tree, and I tried to cover her up with pine boughs. I tried to keep standing up to keep warm and then I would lie down to try to keep her warm. Then the wind started to howl. It seemed like it snowed all night. Gwen was'only able to hobble about 100 yards in the deep snow in the morning. I tried for three hours to help her further. But I wasn't much help because I have arthritis. We talked together of personal things. Then she began acting strange. She was in a coma. How could I leave her? Yet I thought I should get help. I prayed to the Lord, and I felt the Lord didn't want me to die there. I hobbled along through the deep snow all the rest of the day. I had seen a cabin on the way up, and I thought, if I could just make it down to the cabin. It was just getting dark Monday night when I saw the cabin. But then I fell off the bridge and into a five-foot-deep creek bed. It seemed like hours before I could crawl up the bank. I had no heat in the cabin — no food and just the snow for water. I moved my legs throughout the night to keep the circulation going. At daylight, I started out again. I was wet almost to my shoulders from falling down in the deep snow. I kept on praying that the Lord would help me just to keep on going. I actually felt if I could just keep going I would MANILA, Philippines (AP) Fire broke out early today in a mental hospital building holding more than three times the number of patients it was designed for, and 32 inmates were killed, officials said. Some of the victims were so indifferent they lay apathetically in the burning ward while others fought off rescuers trying to get them out, Dr. Jaime Castaneda, director of the National Mental Hospital, said. He reported that six of the patients were treated for minor smoke inhalation. He said some of the patients may have escaped, but "police will get them back," and they were not considered dangerous. Thick smoke and darkness also hampered the rescuers, who included members of the hospital staff, firefighters and civilian volunteers. The tire occurred in Pavilion 2 of the sprawling hospital complex in a Manila suburb. It was a single-story structure with out in hospital concrete walls, galvanized iron roof and wooden ceiling, and the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical snort in the ceiling. The hospital director said the building was designed for 400 patients but held more than 1,200 of the hospital's 6,800 residents. He explained that the building was so crowded because many of the patients are from poor families who refuse to take them back after the hospi- Begin, Carter discuss ways to handle overtures tal says it can give them no more help. "These people are more or less rejected by their families, suffering from a stigma, or their homes are distant from Manila," the doctor said. Castaneda said the victims could have been evacuated but they resisted "because of their illness. There were some patients who were so apathetic and indifferent that they didn't want to move out, and some were hostile and combative." J WASHINGTON (AP) — Prime Minister Menahem Begin met for an hour with President Carter today on possible steps Israel may take to respond to Egypt's diplomatic overtures. Qualified U.S. sources said these could include some easing of Israeli control over the West Bank of the Jordan River. The 650,000 Palestinian Arabs living there might be given some form of local self-rule. "We discussed the most important problems concerning the peacemaking process in the Middle East," Begin said in a brief statement to reporters after he left the White House. After the Carter-Begin session, key advisers to both leaders held their own hour-long meeting. Earlier, Begin was asked by reporters if he would meet with Egyptian leaders. He said there was a "real possibility" of that "in the very near future." But he said he could not say where or when. Another topic for the talks in the Oval Office was a possible visit by Carter to Israel to demonstrate U.S. backing for the Egyptian-Israeli negotiations in Cairo, which are being shunned by the Arab "confrontation" states. Begin and Carter, in a brief chat witnessed by reporters bed fore their private meeting, and Zbigniew Brzezinski, the U.S. national security assistant, let it be known that the two leaders probably will have a second meeting here. Brzezinski said this follow-up session may be held late Saturday. As an observant Jew, Begin is unlikely to engage in offi- Memphis man charged in connection with theft A 19-year-old Memphis man, taken into custody by Hope authorities Wednesday on suspicion of auto theft, was charged with a felony Thursday in connection with a car stolen from a West Memphis, Ark., used car lot. The man, Jeffrey "McFadden, was taken to West Memphis late Thursday afternoon by city authorities there. He had been apprehended Wednesday, while he was reportedly visiting Hope. He was charged by the West Memphis authorities with a Class C felony, theft of property. Sgt. Haltom of the Hope police department had received information that a wrecked vehicle matching the description of the stolen car was located in Hope. Officer John Cook and Capt. Scrub Mosier of the Arkansas State Police took the suspect into custody Wednesday afternoon. cial business between sundown today and nightfall Saturday. A smiling Carter recalled the joint interview Begin had with Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in Jerusalem last month. "It was a very exciting thing throughout the world to see you sitting on the same couch with Sadat without any disharmony." Carter told Begin: "We're proud to have you here." Sadat told reporters in Cairo today that he might meet Begin in Egypt before the end of the year. He said he also expected to receive a message from Carter later today. The White House meeting today again elevates the United States into a major role in Middle East negotiations. In fact, Carter said Thursday he would have "no reticence about telling Begin whether what he proposes is acceptable to Egypt." Earlier, an American source said Begin was likely to ask Carter to visit Jerusalem for a symbolic endorsement of the Israeli-Egyptian negotiations. "Begin will try to put the arm on him," was the description given The Associated Press by a high U.S. official Hying home from the Middle East with Secretary of State Cyrus R. Vance. White House officials said they did not know how Carter would respond, but they pointed out he has a tight schedule in the immediate future. The pres- Menahem Begin ident leaves Dec. 29 on a six- country trip that includes Saudi Arabia but no other Middle East countries. 2 involved in accident Harry Hawthorne, 71, and Lola Graves, 30, both of Hope, were involved in a minor auto accident Thursday morning which resulted in no injuries or charges being filed. The two collided on Texas Street, near West Fifth. Minimum damage was reported by Officer Melton, who Invwttcated the Incident. find someone to help me. I kept falling down, and the sun was warm now on my face. I just wanted to lie there, but I knew I had to keep going. My next big obstacle was to get across the cattle guard. I could only move my feet about four inches at a time. I prayed someone would find me. Within an hour, three boys came up the road in a pickup truck. They wanted to know what I was doing there. They could not believe it when I told them my wife was dead up on the road. They said the best thing to do was to go down to the service station in Spanish Fork Canyon and call the sheriff. Cypriotes release is expected NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) Government sources said today that the release of President Spyros Kyprianou's kidnapped son might be imminent. The sources said 19-year-old Achilleas Kyprianou could be freed by early af ternoonm There was no immediate official confirmation of the report and no indication the government would meet the kidnappers' demand for amnesty for all political offenders. But there was an apparent easing of tension at the presidential office. Members of parliament and diplomats were smiling as they emerged from meetings with the 45-year-old president. Kyprianou, with signs of strain gone from his face, came out of his office to thank high- school students demonstrating to demand the release of the missing youth. "I place the national interest above all," Kyprianou told the students. Thousands demonstrated elsewhere in Nicosia in support of the president. "Full support for Mr. Kyprianou" and "Freedom for Achilleas" were among the placards carried. Earlier today the kidnappers were reported to have extended their deadline 24 hours, until 10 o'clock tonight (3 p.m. EST). A local newspaper reported Thursday that the kidnappers warned Kyprianou they would sent him the head of his son if their demand was not met. A spokeswoman said the government has information leading it to believe the youth is alive. "The government thinks he is alive," she said. The kidnappers are believed to be members of EOKA-B, the underground movement dedicated to "enosis," the union of Cyprus with Greece. A military source said eight Greek Cypriot and Greek officers attached to the National Guard had been arrested for questioning about the abduction. Young Kyprianou was a second lieutenant in the National Guard, the Greek Cypriot army, and was kidnapped from a military camp 30 miles southwest of Nicosia Wednesday ni«ht. Former* in Texat are talking about a mysterious "Phase II" of their 3-doyold strike while their counterports in Colorodu comploin of what they describee* os spy focfics by the U.S. Deporfme/rt of Agriculture. And Nebratka Gov. JJ, fxon soys he's arranged a conference telephone call with Secretory of Agriculture Bob Bergland and other governors. Story on Page 9. Neighbors say they heard bloodcurdling screms ring out In a Hollywood apartment house where the latest victim of the Hillside Strongler apparently was lured to her death. "It was definitely the worst scream I've ever heord," sold one man. But no one reported the screams af the time. Story on Page 5. <:ITY SimscmilKKS: If V..H fail to n-rHv,. ><„„• S.nr plniHf phoii,. 777-HH1I liciwcon 6 and 6:30 p.m., Saiur- «!«>•« iM'lHwn 3:30 an, I | ,,.,„.. „„,( „ ,. urr |,. r w , n ,| e livi-r your papor. IMniHO ( |» ,„„ n ,|| |,,.r,,,.,. ,| u , ,,„,,. li(t(|>< , Obituaries 2 Women's News 3 Dear Abby 3 Sports 4 Comics a Classified 10 Church News 12 Television 14 Negotiators view ancient treasures DAYS TO CHRISTMAS CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Israeli negotiation viewed the treasures of ancient Egypt today in a tour of the Cairo Museum. The tour took place as the Cairo peace conference recessed for three days for the Moslem, Jewish and Christian Sabbaths. The chief Israeli delegate, Eliahu Ben-Elissar, paused before the mummy of Pharaoh Menepta, also known as Ame- nophls-H, during the 90-minute museum tour. "We should be grateful to him," said the bearded diplomat, archeology buff and former spy. "He was the beginning of our nationhood." The Menepta mummy Is shriveled and brown with skin the color of dried tobacco leaves. Some legends say he was the Pharaoh to whom Moses — in the Old Testament's Book of Exodus — ad- Death takes Mrs, Mable Ethridge AdeDe e, Thursday , n a local She was a retired teacher having taufiht for 44 years in Hope. She was a graduate of Galloway College, a member of the First United Methodist Church, a former Sunday School teacher, a charter member of Chapter AU of the PEO Sisterhood. She has no immediate survivors. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in Herndon chapel with the Rev. Ralph Hale officiating. Burial will be in Rose Hill cemetery under the direction of Herndon Funeral Home. dressed his pleas: "Let ray people go," an appeal for the release of Jews held captive In Egypt. But many Egyptologists believe the Pharaoh refered to In Exodus was Ramses H, Iho lived two centuries after Men- epta. Ben-Elissar and hia two top deputies — Meir Rosenne and Gen. Avraham Tamlr — were accompanied by half a dozen aides, security agents and a flock of reporters and photographers. While the Israeli* toured the museum, the chief U.S. delegate, Undersecretary of State Alfred Atherton, his wife and some aides, visited the Sphinx and the pyramids, Hundreds of cheering Egyptians greeted the Israeli negotiators Thursday night during a tour of Cairo. The three delegates, about 20 aides and an escort of Israeli reporters walked for half an hour through the twisting, narrow streets of the market quarter. "People poured Into the streets to see us and talk with us," said Dan Pattlr, spokesman for the Israeli delegation. "Mothers even brought their children. "For me, as an individual, it was very moving. We were greeted by hundreds of people. They cheered us and welcomed us. Unbelievable." Escorted by two police cars, the motorcade criss-crossed the city and stopped outside the thousand-year-old Al Azhar Mosque, Cairo University, and President Anwar Sadat's Abdin Palace. The Israelis did not enter any of the buildings. "There were no incidents," said Pattir. "We had only a few security officers, but there was Ships collide, burn PORT ELIZABETH, South Africa (AP) — Two supertanker sister ships collided in foggy wenther and caught fire in the Indian Ocean off South Africa early today, sending flames across the oil-slicked seas. Dozens of crewmen leaped Into the water from the burning decks. Two seamen were reported missing and 82 other crew members were reported rescued by helicopter and ships. Only one of the Llbcrian-regls- tcred supertankers was carry- Ing a full load of oil, officials said. The fully loaded 330,954-ton Venotl and the 330.869-ton Ven- pct, which w«s carrying no oil, collided at about 10 a.m. (3 a.m. EST) 20 miles off Cape St. Francis, 54 miles east of tills Industrial coastal city. The South African Press Association reported that a 60- mlle-long oil alick was building up from the collision site near prime beach area In South Africa. Maritime officials expressed fears about possible pollution and described the collision as the most serious supertanker accident over along the South African coast. The Japanese-built, four-year- old sister ships were carrying IJberian Hags but the identity of their owners was not Immediately known. The Venpet caught fire first and its crew of 38 Chinese abandoned ship, most of them leaping Into the water. A spokesman for the P & 0 shipping company In London said the oil-bulk carrier Jedforest had rescued the crewmen from the flaming seas. South African radio reported that within three hours of the collision all but two of the Vcn- pet's crewmen were rescued by helicopter from an offshore drilling rig and by two nearby ships answering distress calls. No injuries were reported among the rescued crewmen. Some of the Venoll crew, believed to number about 40, also abandoned ship, but the captain and at least eight crewmen- were reported still on board. Soon after the collision, the Ve- noll also was reported ablaze. According to latest reports, the tankers were drifting apart and there appeared no Imminent danger of either sinking. A thick paU of smoke mushrooming into the air could be seen from Port Elizabeth. The supertankers, built in Nagasaki, Japan, in 1973, are nearly a quarter-mile long and : some 60 yards wide. A spokesman for Lloyds shipping service in London said the collision would have been "a major disaster" if both vesssels had been fully loaded with oil. Charles S. Walker dies at age 80 Charles S. Walker, 220 N; Pine St., died early Friday in a local hospital. He was 80. He was a retired manager of Ritchie Grocery Company, a member of the First Baptist Church, and a lifelong resident of this city. Survivors are his wife, Pearl Walker of Hope; two nephews, Robert Singleton of Azel, Tex., Robert C, Walker of Mon- tevedio, South America; two nieces, Mrs. JiW. Greenwald of Sugarland, Tex., and Mrs. W.L, Re«d of Shreveport. Funeral services will be at 2 : p.m. Sunday in Herndon chapel with Dr. Riciwrd Stlltner & ficiating. Burial wW be in «ose Hill cemetery under the direction of Hwndon Funeral

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 11,200+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free