Herald and Review from Decatur, Illinois on October 5, 1980 · Page 89
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

A Publisher Extra Newspaper

Herald and Review from Decatur, Illinois · Page 89

Decatur, Illinois
Issue Date:
Sunday, October 5, 1980
Page 89
Start Free Trial

dsays: I Newspape Sj'IUCT 5;G80 rmen for 100 years The name Lindsay and the word newspaper were synonymous for more than 100 years in Decatur. The association w as centered particularly with the Herald, even though the name originally was connected with the Review. John Lindsay came to Macon County from Tennessee in 1847, attended Mount Zion Academy, married, taught school, became a lawyer and served in the Union Army. In 1874, he leased and published the Review, and in 1885 started and published his own paper, the Labor Bulletin, until his death in 1891. Frank M. Lindsay was the 11th of John Lindsay's 12 children. At the age of seven he was a carrier for his father's paper, and throughout grade school and high school carried morning and evening papers. He graduated from the University of Illinois with a Bachelor of Law degree in 1905 but went into newspaper work in Oklahoma with his brother Arthur. When Arthur left for Birmingham, Ala., Frank returned to Decatur, and on Jan. 1, 1906, became classified advertising manager of the Review. Frank Lindsay was named general manager of the Herald in 1912 and in 1920 became president and general manager, with a controlling interest in the business. When the Herald and the Review consolidated in 1931 he became general manager and in 1947 became president upon the death of Howard C. Schaub. He became chairman of the board of directors in 1964 and chairman of the board emeritus in 1968. He died June 11, 1972. Edward Lindsay, the son of Charles E. Lindsay and grandson of John Lindsay, joined the Herald in 1924. Three years after the consolidation he became editor of the Herald and Review. In 1954 he was named editor of the Lindsay-Schaub Newspapers, and until the sale of the papers to Lee Enterprises he held several corporate positions. Frank Lindsay's elder son, Merrill, was active in the newspaper while also serving as president of Illinois Broadcasting Co. He served as acting general manager of the Herald and Review and later became president of Lindsay-Schaub Newspapers. He was chairman of the board when Lee Enterprises bought the Herald and Review. Donald Lindsay, Frank Lindsay's younger son, served as Lindsay-Schaub's direct of advertising from 1954 to 1964, as general manager of the Champaign-Ur-bana Courier from 1964 to 1975, and as vice president of operations for Lindsay-Schaub from April 1975 until the sale of the newspapers to Lee. In addition to the newspaper field, the Lindsay name always has been prominent in Decatur civic organizations and state and national newspaper associations. I . -V . H? r - -5 f I t . ..... -in . ; v?... V t ( U i r s - I V i, - K . ' ......v ..... .... ... .a v...-- -. . tr.i. ... . . .. .V... - . .. .. X J. 18 mi, n V1 S -. , ....... .1. , I 4 Lindsay-Schaiib - - 1 1 ? f v. It Frank AA. Lindsay, left, gets a paperweight memento of his 50 year newspaper career in Decatur from Frederick W. Schaub in 1955. Schaub name added to ownership in 1931 John Lindsay in 1856 Edward Lindsay in 1944 Merrill Lindsay in 1964 Paper faced strikes 3 times Strikes three times interrupted publication of the Decatur Herald. The first strike, in 1907, lasted 10 days when printers were seeking an eight-hour day as well as an increase in wages. The publishers, and some printers, expressed the opinion that the negotiations were not well handled by a union organizer and that the strike was unnecessary. But the union did gain a shorter working day and higher wages. The shortest strike in the newspaper's history came at 5 p.m. on Dec. 15, 1929, when the Herald composing room went on strike because of a disagreement over the pay scale. The dispute was settled later that evening, and the printers returned to work. The third strike came in 1937, six years after the Herald and Review consolidated. It was brought by members of the Newspaper Guild and lasted from July 10 until Aug. 5. ' There was no publication of either paper for three days, and the Herald was not published for four mornings. One Sunday paper was missed. A combined edition was published for a week, then each paper returned to pub-Mslnng separately, tall by non-strikers of the editorial force. Union members working in the composing room and press room were not involved in the strike. The strike ended when the Guild accepted the wage and hour policy offered by the Herald and Review. Press started on time despite fire next door Coverage of a fire April 23, 1923, was easy for the Decatur Herald; it was too easy, as a matter of fact, for comfort. A fire broke out on the third floor of the building next to the Herald at 11 a.m. Intense heat and smoke hindered the firemen from getting a lead of hose into the room used by the Herald as a storeroom, forcing printers on the third floor to flee. Files from the library were hastily carried out into North Main Street, in front of the building, and wires of the Associated Press were jerked out. Firemen prevented the fire from actually spreading into the Herald building, services were restored by midnight, and true to the hallowed and romantic legends of newspapering, the presses started on time. The first 49 years of newspaper history in Decatur were marked by the coming and going of some 30 publications. Finally, in 1899. two strong dailies emerged -the morning Herald and evening Review after negotiations produced t consolidations which reduced Decatur's' number of dailies from four to two. Thirty-two years later another consolidation took place, this one bringing together the two papers under one corporate roof and uniting the two names which had dominated newspaper publishing in Decatur since the turn of the century Schaub and Lindsay. Survival was the reason for consolidation in both cases. Four dailies couldn't make a go of it in 1899 for financial reasons. Two could, and did. Competition between the Herald and the Review was intense through the 1920s, but costs of publication, with the addition of modern, expensive equipment, were increasing steadily. Inflation continued year after year, profits dwindled, and all over the nation, mergers became frequent. Undoubtedly, the 1929 "crash" and the subsequent Great Depression made the consolidation of the Herald and the Review a necessity. It was an oddity, perhaps, in the light of much later developments, that the Lindsay name first was associated with the Review. John Lindsay was publisher of the Review in 1894. Framk M. Lindsay, his son, had been with the Review for six years before becoming general manager of the Herald in 1912 and remaining with the paper thereafter. The first Schaub, Howard C. Schaub, was associated only w ith the Review until 1931, when the consolidation made him president of both newspapers. Schaub was a Charleston native who went to work in a printing shop at the age of 11 and became hooked on the printing-newspaper profession. Later he. worked on newspapers in Jacksonville, Chicago and Boston, then returned to Roodhouse, in Greene County, to join old friends he had made as a student at Illinois College John Drennan and Jerry Donahue. The Drennen-Donahue team had been publishing the Roodhouse Eye, and Howard Schaub became their composing room foreman. When Drennen and Donahue purchased the Review in 1888, Schaub went along to look over the plant and remained as a reporter. Three years later the company was reorganized, with Schaub becoming president Schaub was president of the Review from 1891 until the consolidation of the Review and the Herald in 1931 and was president of the merged company, Decatur Newspapers Inc., until his death Dec. 2, 1947. - Schaub's son, Frederick, after graduating from the University of Illinois in 1922, joined the Review in 1923 and became business manager in 1925 and treasurer in 1926. After the consolidation with the Herald he served as business manager, treasurer, general manager and executive vice president, becoming president of Lindsay-Schaub in 1964 and chairman of the board in 1968. He retired May 1, 1975. Another of Howard Schaub's sons, Robert C. Schaub, served the Herald and Review as executive editor, editor and general manager before his death in 1958. His son, R.C. Jr., worked on the editorial side of the Edwardsville Intelligencer and the Review before becoming secretary of Lindsay-Schaub. R.D. Schaub, son of Fred Schaub, worked in the managing end of the business at Lindsay-Schaub newspapers in Urbana and East St. Louis before returning to the home office as an assistant vice president of planning, then executive vice president in 1970. In 1975 he became the last president of Lindsay-Schaub.

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 22,600+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Publisher Extra® Newspapers

  • Exclusive licensed content from premium publishers like the Herald and Review
  • Archives through last month
  • Continually updated

Try it free