The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on August 16, 1938 · Page 24
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 24

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, August 16, 1938
Page:
Page 24
Start Free Trial
Cancel

Upper Pes Merinos, Algona. Iowa. Aug. 16,1938 MUNICIPAL PLANT GOT START BACK WYEAR1897-98 $10,000 Bond Issue Gave Impetus to One of State's Finest One of the outstanding features of the City of Algona today Is its municipally-owned water and light plant, the growth of which has par alleled the progress of the city, beginning from the year 189.. In that year, while J. T. Chrls- chllles was mayor the council took first steps towards the establishment of P an electric light work., The same year the city voted to allow the council to Issue bonds to the amount of $10,000.00 for the purpose. The city in 1898 *•***» franchise to a group of Algonians to build a plant which was leased by the city upon completion and purchased a few years later. Algona has owned the plant ever since, and all the equipment Including the latest diesel is paid for m full out of the earnings of the plant although rates are among the lowest In the state. For several years power was furnished by a little 180 horsepower Seam engine with two boilers. Dur- Ing the mayorality of W. K. Fer guson, a so-called gas producer system was installed. Kelly Appointed—1918 This equipment was in use until 1912 when two Fairbanks-Morse kerosene burners were Installed and the gas producer unit converted over to oil. The present superintendent of water and HghU, Joe Kelly, Sr., was appointed at that time and has served continuously since then. A Mr Foster was appointed the first jmperlntendent of public works in 1898, and served until 1906 when James Murray held the position for about a year before Superintendent Dudley took over the position, holding It until the appointment of Kelly In 1912. The present superintendent has thus served 27 years, a period about twice as long as the total for his predecessors. In 1916 dlesels were first Install •d In the Algona plant, two three cylinder motors developing 200 anr 825 horsepower being purchased and a four cylinder motor of 420 horsepower. This equipment was adequate until 1926 when It was supplemented by a six cylinder 600 horsepower Fulton diesel purchased at a cost of $58.000. In 1934 more power was needed and an opportun Ity came to buy a 1,000 horsepowe motor at * low price and a five cyl Inder plant was added. The addition of the last big engine made the local plant able to meet' demands for light and power until recently when need for more power was felt and with the smallest three cylinder diesel becoming obsolete a new eight cylinder 1,000 horsepower model was purchased from the Fulton diesel company, the little three cylinder engine being traded In. Soon Rate 3300 H. P. After the installation of the latest engine the total output of the five engines of the municipally-owned plant will be 3.300 horsepower, ten times the power of the three little kerosene burners in 1912. and twenty times the power of the little orig- nial steam engine. The output of the electric plant, in fact, will be about the same an some of the largest diesel electric streamliners of the rails. Actually the engines are much larger than the diesel locomotive type. The motors used for railway purposes are much like airplane engines—built to develop extremely high power for a limited length of time after which they must be overhauled. The big engines of the local power plant run almost continuously day In and day out, year after year, turning the generators which supply the city with light and power Council Bluffs HKV ANP FIRST ASSISTANT POSIWSTER GENERAL UWERPRKIPWT ffarrkc dPPWNTEP PORING HIS ADMINISTRATION, 38.000 POSTMASTERS. B*dS<fcw»nON. MfS SOUS WRITTEN ON U$l WEREREC06MZEP/K S7MKMRP LEGAL/DOmOf/TY. I—f— !»-«-•» ——- * •-• Butt HAPOOM WILL wr *i. RH EKH HISTORIC* WCTMW^ «*wiNW6 TO low roSsHEBftnns mmSe • SEMP comoanots nras (EPS?. Rewrites Of Nem From Lait Thurtd«y'« Kouuth County Advance EIXA HABB, of the Cresco Chums, was announced winner or Kossuth county's healthiest girl award before 132 other 4-H girls at Achievement Day held at the Bancroft public school house last Tuesday. Eight club demonstrations were given during the day with the winning team, Ola Mae Miller and Alice Budlong of the Buffalo Boosters. They will represent Kos- »uth county at the state fair, Aug. ust 2. Many household made articles were on exhibit and the best were named eligible to be sent to Uie state fair. THE 8. A 1. CO. opened their 26th store and their third In Iowa In Algona last week. A staff of 16 was employed for opening day. Norman Freid, formerly manager of the S. & L. store, at Devils Lake, N D is the manager of the Algona store, and with his wife, will make his home in the R. W. Caldwel' house after September 1. * • • 8. F. BARGER, 84-year old Al gonian, received a 4-inch cut on thi side of his head when he fell down a flight of stairs at the home of hir daughter, Mrs. William Shirley. Hi was taken to the Kossuth hospital where eight stitches were requirei o close the gash. • • • LIKE A MYTHICAL, character o old, Sheriff Casey Loss chained th wind last week. It was the sam wind the sheriff says which "blew 1 shut and bolted ft Sheriff Loss Inside. "••*—*:,„.,.,<, his "wind" blew Into the sheriffs office the other day ft bftll a« d chain was somehow or other padlocked on his ankle and he was left <** 1 ™ 1 for the same length of time the sheriff spent In^Uie vault MTRTLE JORDAN and her niece, VlrghTHardcopf of LuVerne are now touring through the eastern United States and Canada. ™ey wlll visit Quebec and later go to Denier to see the Quints Miss Jordan is superintendent of the Irv- lngton schools and Miss Hardcopf will begin her first year of teach- tng in the Galbralth school this year. • » * A. M-LEAN of Irvlngton was injured in an unusual mishap in this Machine age when a team of horses he was driving ran away. » r « l! £ s suffered when he was thrown off the rack were none the Jess painful. FUNERAL SERVICES were conducted at the St. Paul's Lutheran church at Whlttemore a week ago Friday for Mrs. August (Bade 75. pioneer woman wh ° dt « d * w eek home on Tuesday of that j week Mary Voss Gade was born in Uer many June 12, 1863, and came to this country at an early age, settling In Kossuth county In issz^ Her husband and eight sons and five daughters survive. MRS. OTIS SANDERS was In- presldent of the Lone Rock imericon Legion Auxiliary a week go Wednesday at a meeting of the Auxiliary. The new president ap polntedTeveral committees after her nstallatlon. , , , A PAMPHLET on the National Wildlife Federation was authored J? J D. Lowe, prominent Algona and president of the state v published, consisted of Mr. observations on the vita subject of conservation of natural resources and the aims of the federation In that respect SEVERAL BUttDINGS are be ing remodeled In Corwith Including Charles Martin's radio repair shop Walt* Super Service station, th Corwith Lumber Co the Stam hough house and the K. & H. 01 station. Only three diseases cause mor deaths than accidents, figures from the Iowa Safety council show. Ac cident- are the most likely cause o deaths of all persons from ages to 21 'VVVVVVVVVVV v -^- -w -^ —- — THEY had good eyes ONE OF THE CITV'S finest new buildings is the fireproof Kossuth Mutual Insurance building. This company of Kos- Buih origin, run and operated entirely by Kossuth men, is a distinct credit to the energy and leadership of its membership, past and present. Law offices of Sullivan, McMahon & Linnan, are located on the second floor. and pump water through the mains It was hoped at first that the lat est unit for the light plant might be delivered by March of Progress day but delays In Its construction hav held back Its arrival. Modi Monldp*! Frogw** It !• an unusual coincidence that during the March of Progress days preparations are being made to Improve both the water and light systems. At present water for the city is pumped from three deep wells into an underground reservoir which holds 375.000 gallons—the same capacity as the municipal swimming pool—and the new water tower which holds up to 300,000 gallons Soon it is expected that water will be flowing from a fourth shaft about 175 feet deep and 24 inches in diameter. This is about the same size as the largest of the three wells now in use but from testa made it is expected that the new well will supply even more water than the older well of the same size which has a capacity of 400 gallons per minute. The origin of the municipally- owned water works system dates back to about 1889. For about 20 years the town experienced difficulty in getting enough water to meet demand. All manner of trouble plagued the good citizenry of Algona. One Marsh Stephens in 1889. dug a well 135 feet deeo. but it was so crooked they could not get a casing down. It was finally dug straighten and then it was found there wasn't enough water at that level. The harassed council then brought in a different company which dug a well, giving good satisfaction for about a year and then failed. Wfll Digging Trouble* Two wells were finally dug. one about 1 i>46 feet and the other about bOO feel 'leep. which were successful ;incl were used for a long time There first two successful wells co^ .he city about $10.000 and cause 1 miic h anxiety to mayors J R. Jones. George C. Call. L. A. Sheetz. A. A Call. D. A. Haggard. J. T. Chris- chilles. E. E. Sayers. W. K. Ferguson and J. W. Wadsworth and their respective councils. The fire fighting equipment of the city recently modernized by the addition of a new larger truck, has a comparatviely brief history. From old hand drawn equipment the city jumped to a motorized vehicle in 1&12. and this original piece ol equipment, a La Verne truck, is still in use. The second truck bought, a smaller one. was recently traded ir on the latest purchase, a Central pumper with a Hercules engine, recently described, in the Upper Des Molnes. But In 1938 Modern Living Takes It's Toll In Human Eyesight For centuries, man used hi* eyes for simple tasks, performed out of doors, in brilliant sunlight. But today most of man's eye tasks are close ones, performed indoors, usually In dim light. And they continue far into the night, for artificial illumination has lengthened the day. As a result, clear vision, the keen vision nature knew man must have, has become sadly deXec- tive. Make sure your child starts this school term perfectly equipped for easy, efficient performance of his work. Let us examine his or her eyesight; and, if it is defective, correct it. Clear vision will be his greatest help. A. W. AMUNSON A Service Record of 68 Years tury. cut and planned by local men for Mr. Norton. bank™*™™ Wilson sold out to the John Paul I™*** Co. The wes^section of our yard once was occupied by an old hv- ery stable. OPTOMETRIST Over Borchardt Drug Store Algona, Iowa Th*. narrow winding streets of the French quarter in Old New Orleans, we shown above-the city of the magic Mardi fira^ The aueen from Kossutb county will have a stop-over In New'Orleans, where she will be able to visit many of these silt* S hiatoririaterest. In the above section, old-time p.rate* and lovely ladies of rank, danced and dined. BEER Soft Drinks * BARBECUED RIBS - CHICKEN SANDWICHES We'd like to see you on March of Progress Days, or any other day. COOK'S TAVERN On Highway 169 at the Fairgrounds ofHR Cowan), George Williams, Jake Nelson, and D. Mitchell. Old time stone masons were Mike Johnson, Erick Nelson, Alfred and Oscar Norman. Old time painters were James Orr, H. P. Lindsey, and Sid Cotterall. Later day builders included Andrew Seastrom and C. Herman, now retired, but active and about on our streets. There aje a host of younger builders and carpenters and such namesls Cowan, Johannsen, Hansen, D a 1 1 e y, McMurray, Rammer, Bartholomew, and Miller, and many others whom we all know, with a host of painters and other tradesmen. We will not try to enumerate them all. In the early days lumber came from the Northern Woods of Minnesota and Wisconsin— white pine. Today fir lumber comes from the Pacific Northwest several thousand miles by rail- yellow pine from the Southern States; oak from Arkansas ' In fact where once small stocks were carried, today immense stocks of lumber are earned. Today, a lumber or building supply store is more than a place to buy lumber. We sell cement brick, steel, plaster— in fact everything to build anything. Today we sell coal from Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Arkansas, Pennsylvania. We sell Coal Stokers, and service them. We sell all from glass to sand — for home construction. We maintain a plan service, a finance service, a building service with our fine building contractors. A cooperative spirit is ours to boost and build in the present, as we have in the past, a better, bigger, and finer Algona and community— to support the best in life. Today we maintain a fleet of Red Trucks to render prompt service. Ous is a cooperative service. Call and see our window of old time things. F. S. Norton & Son PHONE 229 LUMBER COAL SUPPLIES In ALGONA SINCE 1870

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free