The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa on August 16, 1938 · Page 20
Get access to this page with a Free Trial

The Algona Upper Des Moines from Algona, Iowa · Page 20

Publication:
Location:
Algona, Iowa
Issue Date:
Tuesday, August 16, 1938
Page:
Page 20
Start Free Trial
Cancel

The Algona Upper Des Moines, Algona, Iowa, Aug. 16,1938 History of Kossuth County Newspapers One of Change and Good Old Battles ALCANA HAS HAD L Wpn rt h n^hlp in of 90 |he"rV Ur and gSjjppPt**----- . ^-—pwjjjp—™_| MPAD RIAAIKIIlin Early LaWVer i 0 ™ 6 * «™ *° «*«IT? an ele P ha«*. followed and out^Wfrfeattle, Clarke ALGONA HAS HAD PAST 82 YEARS Parade of Editors Takes Leaf from Pages of County History No fewer than ten newspapers of one kind or another have been published in Algona before the field narrowed down to the present two papers giving seml-wehely service to Kossuth county. The present Algona Upper Des Moines through mergers and sales from owner to another dates direct- J. W. Shearer in 1908 and during the partnership of Shearer ant Haggard the paper made notable advancements both mechanically and in its editing. Failing health caused Mr. Shearer to retire in 1912 and he disposed of his interest to Sid J. Backus. Mr. Haggard with hfs new partner published the paper until 1932 when the present co-publisher, Rus- seTl B. Waller acquired Backus' interest in the publishing firm. In 1933 the new firm of Haggard and Waller changed the name of the paper to the one it bears at present, The Algona Upper Des Molnes. Editor for 57 Years J. W. Haggard, present senior editor of the Algona Upper Des Moines, has been in the newspaper business longer than any other man in Kossuth county, his service beginning with the Algona Republican n 1881 and continuing without interruption until the present time. The Kossuth County Advance, the other of the two Algona papers now inal Upper* De» tfilhU fA 186S, the fourth paper tff be established in the city of Algona. The old Upper Des Molnes was established by Dr. S. G. A. Read and his wife, Lizzie, who came to Algona oh the Fourth of July In 1865 and took over the equipment which hda been used to print the Pioneer Press, one of the first newspapers, which died four years after tt8 foundings. The Reads published the pape Ally one year and then told it t J. H. Warren. Warren edited th Upper Ces Moteep for ten years li typical, early 1$ style, eafryta on literary battles with other edl tors, championing causes Of all kind and otherwise conducting his pape In the manner of the personal jour nalljm of the day. Pitt Cravath became editor and part owner in 1875, and a few years later sold out to the firm of War ren and Hudson. Harvey Ingham in 1882 Harvey Ingham, famous early Iowa editor and later renowned a"editor of the Des Moinea Register became associated with the Upper Des Molnes in 1882 when he bought out Hudson's Interest In the publishing firm. Under Ingham, the paper reached its peak of renown up until that time. In 1902 the Upper Des Molnes was sold by Ingham to the flrm of Milton Starr and J. W. Haggard, the latter still being the senior publisher of the Algona Upper Des Moines. Starr * Haggard combined their newly purchased paper with their own newspaper, the Algona Republican, and renamed It the Upper" Dos Moines-Republican. Milton Starr sold his Interest to it has been published there have been many changes in ownership and manngement. The newspaper was founded as the Algonn Advance by George C. Call in 1901. Call sold the paper a year later to A. D. Clarke. R. W. Hayes purchased the paper conditionally from Clarke a few months later, but soon gave up his option. B. F. Reed then purchased a half interest in the paper in 1903 and ran the paper until In 1907 he bought out his partner, Clark's interest. Dewete Buy Advance W. C. Dewel, present publisher of the Advance, bought the paper from Reed in 1908 and has remained as its publisher. He chaged the paper's name from the Algona Advance to The Kossuth County Advance and under this name and management the paper hi present Other newspapers established at different periods in Algona include the Bee. the first paper of sorts to be published, the Kossuth County 'ress, the first real newspaper begun in 1860 and the Algona Pioneer 3 ress, previously mentioned. Also n later days the Algona Times, the Kossuth County Patriot and the Algona Courier. I. M. Finnell. one of original founders of the latter, s still engaged In newspaper work n Algona, and is one of today*. 1 ! iloneer newspapermen in Kossuth ounty. as operated until the VfOY£P fmrs PAINTINGS RUN Off OH ROLLERS WHILE KINS CRI A TORCH WP1HE TDU6HTTNEPK7WES. it until 1902, when It became the property of R. S. Sherwood. Mr. Sherwood later sold to W. A. The Bart Monitor John A. Shaeffer started the Burt .lonitor Feb. 10. 1893. He sold out n December to H. B. Hallock, who onductde the paper until 1900. when e sold it to W. C. Dewel, who ran MacArthur, and after Mr. Mac Arthur's death, the paper was sold to Gus Thaves, who is running it at the present time. The Wesley News-World Wesley's Jirst paper was started in 1891 by John Ford and was call- the Kossuth County Reporter. A few xgars later the Wesley World was started b Chris Peterson, and also the Wesley News by Stitz Way. The Reporter was discontinued, and the News and World consolidated. The Record, another paper was also started, but sold out to Stitz Way and S. L. Sherman. In 1911, Dewel & Clark bought the paper and V. J. Sands had an interest. They later sold out to William Sturdlvant, an able writer, famil- iraly known as "Scoop." Jack Zerbe, one . of the younger news" This Is The Place papermen of the county, acquired the News-World in 1935, and has since been running it and serving the community well. The Tltonha Topic The Titcnka Topic was established in January, 1899, by Miss Ella Graham and in October of that year she disposed of it to Lee O. Wolfe, a veteran of the Spanish- American war. Mr. Wolfe was the sole proprietor of the paper, saying his piece outspokenly and fearlessly, until early In 1938, when because of ill health he sold it to Frank Clark, whose early newspapering centered In Kossuth county. LuVerne Newspapers LuVerne's first newspaper was the Kossuth County Review, established by V. S. Ellis In 1883. The paper discontinued in 1887. In 1890 Plntt and Lacy started the DCS Moines Valley News, which was afterward owned by J. J. Clark Charles Sinclair. Hugh Smith, Hal Rogers and E. F. Kluckholm. The present LuVerne News is run by Editor Coleman, a most genial gentleman, who has taken considerable ribbing from fellow editors because he moved his plant" to a new location, which happened to be across the street and In Humboldt county. It is all in fun, however, and Editor Coleman is serving his community well, and his i column. "Phat's Phun", is one of > the most widely quoted of any writ' ten in this section of the state. Gpnmuiia-Lakota Papers The first newspaper in Lakota was the Germanin Standard, started in 1893 by Ralph Grow, n 16 year old boy. It later suspended, and the Germania Gleaner was started by Charles Beach and S. E. Myers. In 1S98, Ley and Ellsworth changed the name to the North Kossuth Record. In 1009 it became the property of the Thaves Brothers, who edited it for many years. Several years ago, a daily in tabloid size was started, but this eventually NEAR BLOODSHED FOR PROTECTING RUNAWAYSLAVE History records that at least one runaway slave made his escape through Algona. He was the first colored man ever seen In the county and he was fortunate in finding aid that enabled him to make good his flight from the southern men who were chasing him. In the village of Algona at the time, around 1855, was one Smock, a Pennsylvania Quaker. He used neither liquor nor tobacco, read his Bible regularly on Sunday and never used a profane word. His great interest was the sin of slavery. So one sultry day in July, Judge Call was astonished to see coming to his cabin door, Smock, accompanied by a black man, haggard and hungry, hatless, bareheaded and wearing tattered clothes. In answer to Call's inquiry as to where Smock had found him the Quaker replied, "The good Lord sent him to me." His guest was a colored boy about 25 years old who had escaped from-slavery In southern Missouri. He had followed the north star by night until he came to the end of the road. He hati then picked up the trail across the prairie, following it until he came to the settlement of Algona. After a week's rest the fugitive was given shoes, hat and clothing and food sufficient to last until he reached Mankato, Minnesota, One Algonian accompanied him for a half day and directed him on his way to the northern settlement, which it was learned, he reached safely. While some Algona men were at a meeting of their club about a week later two long-hatred strang er loaded down with revolvers rode up on lank, jaded horses. In response to a question as to what they Intended to do with so much artillery one of the horsemen replied with an oath, "We can show you uns what we can do with it if you Insist upon It" But their mood changed a moment later when they saw same ten or fifteen men emerging from the cabin ecah with a long riflle in his hands. They refused to dismount when invited and made evasive answers when questioned about their business and after a hurried consultation turned their horses' heads to the south and rode away. Any doubt which might have existed that they were hunting the negro was disspelled when word came up from Boonesboro where the pair had stopped on their way back and told that they had found their "nigger" up in Call's settlement but thnt the settlers had (fathered with their guns to protect him and they considered themselves fortunate to escape with their lives. With Those Words, Ambrose Call, Early Pioneer, Chose The Site For A Village - to be known as Algona • Today we prepare in our own county to pay tribute to the early founders of Kossuth county, who suffered hardships so that we mifiht enjoy comforts. We also, with some pardonable pride, dedicate two days of celebration and observance to the theme of Progress. •Our institution does not lay claim to any part ot'lhe early founding of this splendid community. BUT in our years of business here, we have caught the spirit left by those early pioneers and we pledue oiir.-elvc.s to carry the torch of business and civic progress in a modern world of 19:.JS. WE SHALL CONSIDER IT A GREAT PRIVILEGE TO HELP ENTERTAIN YOU ON MARCH OF PROGRESS DAYS, WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, AUG 17 18. e HUB Clothiers LEUTliOLD— WILLIAMS— KEVNOLDS ^W ceased to publish and the plant lay idle until Inlay and Williams started it anew, weekly, as the Lakota Record. Edgar InJay is now the sole owner of the paper, and doing a fine job. The Fenton Reporter Originally printed at Burt, the Fenton Reporter was started in 1899 by H. B. Hallock. W. O. Hogson later owned it, and then Dewel &- Bilsborough were the other owners, In 1911 J. A. Schwartz purchased the plant, and he has continued to publish it since that time, aided by two very competent sons. For many years it was the only democratic paper in the county, but the Bancroft Register is now officially classified as a democratic paper, also. Both Algona papers are officially classified as indepedent although folks have a hard time believing it on occasions. \Vhitternore Champion First paper in Whittemore wns the Gazette, which was owned by A. J. Henry, who had it printed in the Upper Des Moines office. In 1687, the News was started by L. S Merritt. The Advocate was begun in 1691 by Charles Ford, and he was succeeded in 1692 by S. E. Albin who changed the name to the Champion. Other early owners were H Hatch. J. E. Randall. Dennis O 1 Leary. P. H. McCarty, C. R. Kenda'.l and later E. F. Kluckholm. The ; latter sold it to Tom White in 1904 | After a number of years, Seth Cairy became editor and publisher His reign as editor was marked with extreme talent, and his sudden and untimely death in an auto accident caused a real loss in Kossuth newspaper circles. Mrs. Cairy ran the paper until 1936. when she sold it to William B. Higgins. present owner, and another youthful publisher— the youngest in the county. Bancroft Kegikter The Bancroft Register, now owned by Clark & Clark, with Harold Clark as publisher, was started in 1882 by D. A. Ellis. In 1695 it was purchased by W. F. Laidley. who ran it until 1909, when Mrs. Laidley took it over and continued in -:harge until 1912, when Roy Hutton and A. H. Westphal purchased it. Later Mr. Westphal sold his interest to Joe Jtnks, who died in 1932. Mr. Hutton passed away several yegrs later and the property was then sold to Clark & Clark. The Register is one of the three official papers of Kossuth county. Swru I ity Herald On Jaiiuray 10, 1696. the Swea City Herald was started by, Cora E EUis and G. T. Stebbins. In 1886, R. M Richmond, A. L. Anderson Mule Team Took Early Delegates To GOP Conclave Hectic politics such as Kossuth county's delegates engaged In at the Republican judicial convention are not without precedent according to Kossuth history. During the summer of 1859 Ambrose A. Call and Lewis H. Smith were chosen delegates to Attend the republican scntaorial convention at Sac City with George P. Steele and L. L. Treat alternates. All four attended, going in a two seatf i buggy drawn by Smith's span of mules. Emulating Lincoln The alternates had some new experience in pioneering when they went along on this journey. The party went south to the forks of the river and stayed all night. From there they went west across the open prairie, which had no houses on the route and which was filled with sloughs so soft that they were almost impassable. The delegates frequently had to get out in the water and pull the buggy out with a picket rope and once or twice the mules the same way. They came to a horse so buried in a slough that he couldn't get out by himself. As in the case of Lincoln and the pig, the delegates stopped and pulled him out. The mil'es grew tired and lazy, refused to go faster than a walk and the whip was worn out. Judge Smith thought of a scheme to get them to increase their speed; he would walk out on the tongue of the wagon and then by rapidly opening and shutting his umbrella scare the mules into a brisk canter. Invent* Mule Speed The umbrella trick worked for a while but its effect soon wore off. Steele then became an inventor. He had some firecrackers with him and he would fasten a few to the ramrod of his rifle and by exploding them near the mules' ears and rear extremities produce a speed that was truly wonderful. We suppose all the other members of the party were duly impressed. At the convention many of the counties were unrepresented. There were fewer republicans to be found in Palo Alto county in that year than in the recent presidential election, only two, James Reed and W. B. Davis, living in the counfy at the time. At the convention the delegates from Fort Dodge asked Call the names of any republicans he knew in Palo Alto. He told them of the only two there were and when the convention started was thunderstruck to see a proxy, pur portedly from the two Palo Alto republicans authorizing some of the Fort Dodge policitians to cast the vote of the absent Pa'o Alto delegation. The Fort Dodge candidate, Doctor Pease, won the nomination, but was defeated at the polls so "right" finally triumphed. nd J. M. Dye ran the paper, the latter being in charge. Spcrbeck & Son bought the paper in 1909, after several previous owners had managed it. Ray E. Sperbeck, present editor and publisher, took over active and complete charge a few years later. The talent of the present editor is evident in ever issue of the paper; his views are keenly arrived at, and his beliefs nicely presented in a convincing manner. He may disagree most heartily, but seldom allows it to carry him away in his writings. Early Lawyer Got Elephant In Legal Tilt It Is not unusual for a lawyer's client to find he has a white elephant on his hands when his case gets under way but when the attorney finishes the case and finds he is literally the owner of an elephant, the situation is given a somewhat different twist Probably George E. Clarke, early day Algona lawyer, is the only at- torney ever to for a court fee. In the summer of 1868, Orton Bros, brought Algrorm's first circus to town. Miles Orton, one of the brother-owners, rented It to an R. W. Weldon for th% winter and later refused to give it back to the owner at the end of the time agreed. Orton retained the Algona law firm of Clarke & Call to recover the circus for him and when it moved In to Sioux City, Clarke was there with a brigade of officers to take possession of the whole circus. A series of memorable legal battles followed and out ofr We battle, Clarke A Call emerged with ah elephant, about 20 horses and some other stock. Clarke kept the elephant over the winter, heating his barn with a stove to kep his unusual "law- fee" from becoming a frozen asset. After some months of earing for his pet Clarke sold it and never afterwards expressed a desire for another elephant. Iowa's 35,316,423 acres of farm land are still the garden spot of the* world—but the job ahead is to keep- it that way. Our March of Progress Theo. ChrtaehlHea, 8r. Founder: 1870 When Theo. ChrischiUeo, ST., opened hit little general store In Algona In 1870, he laid a foundation of Quality and Honecty which proved his wisdom and sagacity. Today, 68 years later, The Chrls- chllle* Store U still dedicated to tiiom cardinal principle* which must alwaym be the cornerstone of any •ucceMful retail burinem. As Algona's oldest retail establishment, it is fitting that we pause a moment and review the Past. The mere fact that a store is 68 years old means nothing in this progressive, 20th Century world. But the fact that after this long span of time, a store is still a leader in the social and business life of the community, IB. We take pride in our past accomplishments but we take an even greater pride in our modern, up-to-the-minute store filled with quality merchandise, attractively displayed. This Is The Important Thing Naturally we take a justifiable pride and this is why we are proud to cooperate with the March of Progress, as we have cooperated with every civic undertaking for well over half a century. in our business. But we take as much if not more, pride of our great Kossuth county, our great state of Iowa and this great country which we live. Time marches on. in The Chrischilles Store When Getting The Crop to Market Was a REAL Task! • 100 Years Ago the Ox Team Traveled Many Miles to Reach a point for the sale of Agricultural Surpluses • In 1902 this elevator was built for the Northern Grain Co. Later It was sold to the Western Elevator Co., who in 1917 sold it to a group of farmers in the neighborhood. In 1930 the farmers agreed to dissolve the corporation and sold it to E. L. Gilbert and Harry Bode. In 1938 Mr. Gilbert gold his interest to Harry Bode. Leslie Huff.^manger of the elevator since 1932, now also has an ownership interest • This elevator is glad to join a spirit"of "Progress"—only progressive management makes continued success possible, and ihis elevator has enjoyed that success. "Our Aim is Service to the Community." • WE HAVE APPRECIATED YOUB SUPPORT. LETS MAKE THE NEXT 100 YEABS BETTER STILL. Plum Creek Farmers Elevator Harry Bode—Leslie Huff /I

What members have found on this page

Get access to Newspapers.com

  • The largest online newspaper archive
  • 8,900+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s
  • Millions of additional pages added every month

Try it free